1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

All these trade back threads reminder

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 44cowboys22, Apr 16, 2013.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt °¤~Cold Eternal~¤° Staff Member

58,785 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Yes he said he thought it was 16 but he would try to confirm or find out later.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

58,785 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    I always find it amusing when they kind of say...Well we only had X number (always less than 32 and usually in the teens) players as first round players but when they take someone in the second round they say...We had him graded as a first rounder.

IOW sometimes what is said prior to the draft and what is said afterward is a bunch of bologna. :D
  3. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Not worried about 1st round. Last few years we've gotten production, heck the only one I can think of is Bobby Carpenter who was a bust. Others didn't turn into superstars, but at least produced.

It's after the 1st round that I'm concerned about.
  4. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,381 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Why not trade up for one of those few players graded so highly ?
  5. BrAinPaiNt

58,785 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Hold it down Saboteur. ;) :p:
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,164 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    True.

Just fyi though, those picks that I posted were some players that could have been chosen after the trade downs at the spots we end3ed up drafting from.

We had no business trading down so much in a weak draft, I agree, but the bottom line is always what you do with the picks you have. And clearly there was opportunity even after the trade downs.
  7. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,266 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    i bet alot of people who have won the lottery would disagree with this thought:laugh2:
    just because something does'nt work everytime, does'nt mean it won't work sometimes. no single invention has ever worked perfectly the first time.you can find plenty of examples where we have traded back and made good picks. the trade back was not the problem in 09, the players picked were the problem
  8. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,212 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    indeed.just look at our recent 4th rd picks,its a bloodbath with some players who should have been UDFAs selected in the 4th for no reason.
  9. 44cowboys22

44cowboys22 Member

185 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Finally someone understands my post...if they were willing to trade up for Mo, why in the hell trade back!!!
  10. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,096 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    if non of the top o-linemen are left and someone is desperate and gave us their first and a second, I'd do it--lots of good DL, OL, and Safeties will be around later
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,421 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Darn it with all these people that didn't understand your post. We must have some reading comprehension issues or something...
  12. 44cowboys22

44cowboys22 Member

185 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Intellect
  13. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Try this argument:

Every draft is different, and has its own strengths and weaknesses. What will work in one year may not work in the next one.

The circumstances surrounding the selection of Claiborne were unique in that he was the top defensive player on their board and they regarded him as the best cornerback prospect to come along in years - and he reached a point where they could afford to get him. Do those circumstances exist this year?

This draft does not appear to me to be all that strong at the top. On the other hand, every draft 'expert' I have read has stated that this draft is deep in talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, particularly in the areas that Dallas has needs. Does that not argue for trading down?

Finally, what makes you think that the Cowboys will not screw up their choice if the stay put or trade up? Why do you think the odds are better than if they trade down?

I am not advocating trading down for the Cowboys, although I believe it has some merit this year. That is because I do not know what their final board will look like, nor do I have the slightest idea how this draft will play out. Neither does anyone else. But, I am certainly not going to rule it out just because they screwed things up in 2009.
  14. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,285 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    If the OP's logic is sound we should look for a QB in the 6th because that was the round that Brady was drafted in. I understand the OP's thought process but it is flawed. Just because something worked or failed to work in a given situation doesn't mean that the result will be the same the next time you try that strategy. Moreover the talent, distribution of that talent, and team needs from draft to draft vary widely from year to year to rule out a given strategy.
  15. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

19,696 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    The last time Dallas drafted 18th overall they ended up with Bobby Carpenter. Perhaps trading down would have been a better move.
  16. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

2,762 Messages
    817 Likes Received
    Drafting my grandma would have been a better move.