1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

All we've done is replace Hatcher

Discussion in 'Rant Zone' started by Parcells4Life, Mar 18, 2014.

1. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,330 Messages
    2,888 Likes Received
    Because it would be the Cowboys, very likely. I don't trust Goodell.
  2. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,385 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    Woe Nelly!!!!!!! Perfectly said...
  3. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,835 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    Missouri DE Kony[/quote]

If we are going to draft one of the DE's a trade down scenario would be our best bet.
  4. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,934 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Hard to imagine he'd be in any sort of shape to even play. Suspension would likely be best cause he wouldn't take up a roster spot trying to get in shape.

Or would he? I dunno how suspensions work in terms if roster spots.
  5. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,385 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    That's horrible logic. You want the QB of the defense calling plays from the sideline for 6 games. Being a mentor, a trainer.. The problem with Lee is nobody can count on him win it matters most. Do you want your best friends having your back when you have to go to battle, or do you want them cheering you on from down the street? Lee is good but not dependable. I'd rather have someone with 3/4 of the skills for 15-16 games a year...
  6. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Even if Brent returns he's still a JAG, he's probably once in shape a better option at the 1 than Hayden and the rest of the fodder but lets not crown him king.
  7. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Funny I've read where Mosley is falling like a brick because of a plethora of injuries, hmmm. I'll take Sean Lee and someone like Telvin Smith or Ryan Shazier and put them at the Will and move Carter to Sam to fight all the JAGS to start.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,060 Messages
    3,975 Likes Received
    We've got a ton of work to do before we've adequately addressed the defense. But then, nobody should have expected us to be done addressing the defense at this point in the offseason. The nice thing about being worst in the league is that there's lots of ways to bring about improvement.

And we've done more than just replace Hatcher so far. We're getting a lot of injured players back, and we've got a decent number of picks in a deep draft. Now that we've got one of the two open DL slots filled, I think it's very likely we'll be a lot better in week one this season than we were in week 17 of last. We'll probably add another 3-4 starters between now and the end of the draft.
  9. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,299 Messages
    603 Likes Received
    According to PFF Hatcher graded out at -1.2 against the run last year, +26.9 against the pass. He had 22 tackles all year. In Melton's full year in 2012, he had 32 tackles, and was just as bad against the run with a rating of -1.5, with a 15.8 passer rating. So yeah, pretty much a wash. (I think Hatcher goes down from here though while Melton will go up.)
    Zimmy Lives likes this.
  10. DC Cowboy

DC Cowboy Member

491 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I say this knowing the responses I will get. I would draft the TE from UNC, release Witten next year so he can have a chance to play for a winner before his career is over. And it would save cap space. Ok I have my body armor on so bring it.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,926 Messages
    5,579 Likes Received
    Agreed. All we've done is replace Hatcher. We're a worse team right now than before free agency started.

This is a direct result of our limited cap room and the cap hell we're living in that some choose to acknowledge while the usual suspects pretend isn't there.

It was our plan to be worse now.
    mschmidt64, dwight and stasheroo like this.
  12. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    656 Likes Received
    Well, we have to start somewhere.
  13. Silver N Blue

Silver N Blue Active Member

481 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Common man are we talking about the same 27 yr old top rated DT in FA this year?
    1. [SIZE=+0]Henry Melton[/SIZE]
    2. [SIZE=+0]Linval Joseph[/SIZE] (Signed five-year, $31.5M deal with MIN)
    3. [SIZE=+0]B.J. Raji[/SIZE] (Re-signed one-year, $4M deal with GB)
    4. [SIZE=+0]Jason Hatcher[/SIZE] (Signed four-year, $27.5M deal with WAS)

Hatcher was consistant in the same way Canty was IMO but had the one breakout year; in a contract year; this past season. Hard to compare that to Melton and the intangibles he brings. Not to mention this is a win win deal for the team and the player. I would be thrilled if they signed Allen now but if they don't at least the transition from Ware/Hatcher will be easier to take from the "fans" point of view. It is a day to be happy the team filled a need, they got the number player at his position, and most of all it is a good financial deal.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,599 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    Hey there's this thing called an NFL Draft coming up in a little over a month.
  15. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,324 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    I'm confused on why you would need to quote Risen Star or anyone at all to make note of this? Isn't that more common sense than revelation?
  16. black label

black label Active Member

178 Messages
    182 Likes Received
  17. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,542 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Jerry jones is that you? If not now I see the convoluted thought process jerry uses when justifying not going with players in the trenches in the draft
  18. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,684 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    What I heard on the Radio last night had him rated as the best DT against the runs in his direction and number 3 against the pass so.....
  19. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,684 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    What he said. We all knew that our fortunes this year live and die with the draft. The signing of Melton just gives us a little breathing room. It was kind of unrealistic if people expected us to fix all of our problems with 1 FA period or 1 draft or 1 season for that matter. We still have work to do folks. The positives to take from this Melton signing are still there. It looks like Jerry is taking steps to improve and protect our team for the future. The draft is still a crapshoot so lets hope our gambling owner can beat the house again this year. I'm excited... aren't you?
  20. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    This.

Loved Hatch as a pass rusher but thought he was pedestrian against the run. It's a wash except for the fact that Melton is in his prime.