1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Almost My Birthday Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by overseas, Feb 16, 2012.

1. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    trade down get a extra 2nd or 3rd

1 Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
    Heady player, often directed traffic. Worked hard to rehab from serious knee injury in 2009. Took the leadership handoff from Rolando McClain as a redshirt sophomore. Spends a lot of time in the weight and film room.
    Read & React: Productive, combines good instincts and fair reaction time for his size. Finds the ball in the trash inside, doesn't take false steps against play-action and gets into his drop quickly and naturally. Missing the quick-twitch acceleration, and thus reaction speed, to project as an All-Pro type

2 Jared Crick, DE/DT, Nebraska
    Not an elite pass rusher but quarterbacks always need to identify his location if they want to stay healthy. Sacks come with relentless effort, not initial quickness and varied pass rush moves. Does swim over leaning guards to get into the backfield. Works towards the quarterback throughout the play, closes to the passer quickly for his size. Defeats cut blocks, jumps over blockers to chase down the ball. Uses his height and long arms to knock down passes at the line of scrimmage. Lines up outside the tackle in three-man front at times
    Run defense: Assignment-sure run defender. Holds up his man with extended arms, stays with the block down the line and sheds in either direction to grab the running back. Anchors with lean and leverage to hold the line. Good hustle to chase backs down on stretch plays. Fights through double teams, will split them to get to the ball. Very aware of mobile quarterbacks, stays in front of them and does not overextend himself

2 or 3 Josh Norman, CB, Coastal Carolina
    Perhaps the most impressive prospect of all this entire week, Norman turned heads every day in practice with his quick feet, closing burst and natural ballskills. He looks natural in reverse with good hip action and body flexibility. Norman intimidated physically with imposing size for the position at 6-0, 203 pounds with 32 -inch arms, showing safety size with cornerback skills.

3 Senio Kelemete, OG, Wash
    A former defensive lineman who made the move to guard in 09' before switching to left tackle as a junior in 2010. Possesses a naturally strong frame with a thick lower half. Won the teams offensive lineman weight room honor in 2010 and plays up to his weight room numbers. Looks very natural on the move in the run game. Has the range to routinely reach block and seal the edge. Displays impressive range getting out to the second level and can breakdown. Can create leverage for himself off the ball in the run game, doesn't waste much motion into contact and there is a real snap through his hips. You can tell he's a former defensive lineman because of his initial quickness off the ball and pop into contact. Likes to finish, plays with some nasty and gets after it until the whistle.

4 Philip Blake, C, Baylor
    Former right tackle possesses the length and footwork to mirror any interior lineman. Plays with low center of gravity, natural bend and lateral quickness. Flashes a strong enough anchor to pancake overextended defenders
    Strong run blocker capable of moving the nose tackle to his left or right with his upper body. Agile enough to seal to either side when uncovered.

5 Akiem Hicks, DT/NT, Regina University (Canada)
    The 6-foot-5, 300-pound defensive tackle was selected as the top lineman in the Canada West conference last season, recording 35 1/2 tackles and 6 1/2 sacks. - NFL Canada

6 Tysyn Hartman, FS, Kansas St
    As a senior in 2011, Hartman was fourth on the team with 62 tackles and recorded three interceptions to push his career total to 10, which is tied for sixth in school history. - Kansas State football

6 Brad Smelley, FB, Alabama
    Tide H-back who has shown vacuum-hands all week. He isn't explosive in any way, but he plays hard and fast at all times. Possesses a good combination of strength and balance and does a nice job running with his pads close to the ground. Has good hand/eye coordination and reliable hands proved to be an effective pass catcher in the short field. Has admirable toughness after the catch, lowering his shoulders and welcoming contact. Fights for every yard and doesn?t leave production on the field

7 Rhett Ellison, TE, USC
    doesn't have the softest pair of hands, but usually finds a way to reel in the catch. Ellison doesn't excel in any one area, but is solid in all of them and has very good intangibles with very good character, work ethic and passion for the game. He is a third-day prospect who can wear several hats and will work his butt off for whichever team gives him a chance.
  2. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

2,011 Messages
    86 Likes Received
    I really like this draft. Id go different than crick, but I do get what you are doing. I would lean towards Cb. or even curry in that rhat 2nd round. I like the thoughr of robs amoeba defense with those 5 lbs roaming around. I know that might seem overboard at lb..... so Cb would be the smarter move. our decision on Jenkins could be about his play not our fear.
  3. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Loved the trade down pick in the first. The entire draft was fine except for the 2'nd round pick. I would go another direction there. I bet I can find another OL, LB or CB I like better thats still on the board at that point.

If Koonz or Glenn fell to the top of the second I would be trying to trade up. If we wound up with Koonz or Glen with Hightower and could still nail your 3'rd round corner I would be dancing in the street about this draft
  4. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm not big on hightower or crick but absolutely love the rest good job
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Smelley had a beastly national championship game. I think we should choose on or the other here though.
  6. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I did not even notice that I picked both a TE and a FB

well that what ever JG thinks of Gronk

I think Bennett is gone I think he wants to play rock star - but he s no longer on my team
  7. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I am sure Jerry will not pick up Hightower

then let him go to the Steelers and be a all pro for the next ten years

24 Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama

The Steelers usually take the top player on their board, and it would be hard to imagine that it wouldn't be Dont'a Hightower in this case. Pittsburgh has some aging inside linebackers on its defense, so Hightower would be a great long-term solution.

It was a close call for me between Hightower and Dontari Poe, but the latter doesn't seem like someone Pittsburgh would pick in the first round because he's so raw. Hightower, on the other hand, seems like he was made to play for the Steelers

with Bradie an Brookins gone we need something in the middle

esp with not knowing what Carter can do

we need to get stonger up the middle on D

DL - ILB - S
  8. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree with that... just not fond of hightower or crick
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    I was a linebacker, so I believe in the strength and intensity in the box area. That area could be strengthened easily this off season.

I swear that I believe in Mario Williams being the very best investment for this defense at the start of free agency. Only two sacks of Eli Manning over the past six games, and pressure needs to be upgraded on the defensive line area. If it is just not to be, then this fan will have to just walk past that thirst. Sometimes it's just not in the cards dealt out in that hand.

But I'm also getting excited at what this draft is still offering up for the defense front. I tell you, having DT Michael Brockens at defensive end would allow me to forget about Dallas leaving Jay Ratliff at the nose.

The Dallas defensive end position could be upgraded with Courtney Upshaw as well.

Melvin Ingram does project to the OLB role. This would allow Dallas to send Anthony Spencer to seek top positional pay elsewhere, and his missing goods come time to play the Giants.

And another attractive view, would be the pickup of DT Dontarie Poe. He could play either at the nose or at defensive end. Heck, a rotation between he and Jay Ratliff could reak havoc and keep quarterbacks on edge.

Then there is the possibility to get both a veteran cornerback and safety in free agency, if top dollar doesn't go to Mario Williams or Carl Nicks. But even here, there would still be available funds to land a veteran center as well.

I would be excited with the prospect of adding a tackling machine at middle linebacker, in Kuechly. This would remove some transitioning stress in the release of both Brady James and Keith Brookings. And the their respective salary considerations as well.