1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Am I the only one that did not know this about Bryant?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by thechosen1n2, Nov 22, 2012.

1. thechosen1n2

thechosen1n2 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Bryant's childhood in Lufkin, Texas, was a living hell. How else to describe being born to a 42-year-old father who later floated in and out of his life and 14-year-old mother who later served prison time for selling.

Granted Dez is a physical phenom who needs to continue to take advantage of his natural gifts and not let the past spoil what could be a very good life BUT what kind of SICK individual does a man have to be to be 42 impregnating a 14 year old child. I have been pretty hard on Dezs mom for being a terrible parent, but she is a part of a vicious cycle.

I may come across as a Dez apologist, but I think its pretty amazing where he is in life considering his background. He for the most part is a respectful guy, who wants guidance. He wants to please fans, jerry, and Romo. (watch a dez interview if hes at fault for a Romo pick and you will see)....

Oh well. I didnt intend for this to be another Dez love/hate thread. I was just shocked/disgusted at what is written in red.
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't.

...but then again, I don't necessarily subscribe to the "hard knocks life" theory that says its ok for for people that grew up in tough situations to be socially irresponsible. So I probably avoided any thread that talked about that stuff.

...that's just disgusting though.
  3. CxC1993

CxC1993 Member

285 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Oh God, that is gross. I had no idea either.
  4. thechosen1n2

1,612 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I dont think its okay, but statistics show that its usually the case. I think gets a little of a bad wrap though. Is he irresponsible. Yeah, a little, but he is no criminal. The worse thing you can say about him is that he is a kid that came up in a TERRIBLE environment, and his physical gifts allowed him to escape it both literally and figuratively. I think he is learning now that his freakish physics are no longer enough, and there has been an adjustment period. He has had to learn how to learn. I dont think hes dumb in terms of he is incapable of learning.. I just think that he hasnt had to use his brain to be successful until now.
  5. egn22

egn22 Active Member

817 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Not sure how educating yourself on someones situation is subscribing to anything. This kind of information provides insight and helps you get to the core of someones issues
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,082 Messages
    4,012 Likes Received
    I knew.

And while I agree with you in general about the "hard knocks life" theory, I tend to apply that thought process to when they're an adult and hold a hardline if they continuously make the same mistakes and show no growth.

Clearly Dez had no type of structure growing up, so now it's a matter of how he can improve as a man now that he's able to change his circumstances. Fortunately, he has a pretty good support system around him to help guide into full grown man status.
  7. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,578 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    That's why I've always found it so interesting to see people from their Wally Cleaver suburban upbringings constantly judging this kid.

14 year old drug addict/dealer prostitute gets knocked up by 42 year old low life, hardly Archie and Olivia Manning.

Considering the circumstances Dez has done a damn good job overcoming adversity. Had his mother not been the aforementioned drug addict lunatic he probably would have a clean record.

Lived in 8 different homes through high school, mom in and out of jail, hell of a path for a young man to walk.
  8. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was simply stating why I may not have read this before. This type of thing would more than likely been found in threads that his "tough upbringing" would have been discussed. I typically avoid those threads, as I don't agree with much of what is said in those threads, and it would devolve into something not appropriate for this forum.

I have nothing against Bryant. I'm sure he had a difficult childhood, and offer nothing to the contrary. In fact, he's an example of WHY I don't buy into that line of thinking. There are ways to improve your life....even at a young age. He found his....and I applaud that.
  9. Apollo Creed

8,578 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    "I don't want to make excuses, but people brought up differently see different things, been in different things -- having two parents, having no parents," said Bryant, the doting father of sons Zayne, 5, and Dez Jr., 2. "It's different. I just feel like it's been a learning process for me my whole life, and I'm just getting to it.

From McMahon's ESPN article.
  10. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree....particularly concerning those that become adults and continue to make the same mistakes.

I wasn't attempting to make a jab at Bryant. My biggest problem with him is that he won't pull his damn pants up. :)
  11. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,636 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Well said!!! People don't get it cause they don't want to get. Its real easy to judge but I bet most of them wouldn't have made it as far as Dez under those circumstances.
  12. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,742 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    This is an unfortunate statement. It implies that -- to use the least polarizing terminology possible -- people in a bad situation can't teach their kids judgment and respect.

It's unfortunate that his situation didn't teach him those things. But let's not pretend like it couldn't have happened, thereby excusing too many people.
  13. Apollo Creed

8,578 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Exactly bro.

Just not as simple as snapping your fingers and magically growing up.

People looked the other way with Irvin cause we were winning, if Dallas was winning now - no one would give a damn what Dez did in his free time. This is a very forgiving fan base as long as you produce.

Dez keeps up this great play and carries this team to a good post season stretch and people will see exactly how short of a memory the Dallas fan base can have.
  14. Apollo Creed

8,578 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Not saying it's impossible, however you and I know it's about creating an environment conducive for that kind of growth. No need to play devil's advocate here, it's hell of a lot easier to make it out of Highland Park than the projects.
  15. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,742 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    We're talking about Lufkin, Texas. Have you been to Lufkin, Texas? I grew up very close with parents who could barely scrape by. I knew hundreds of people in the area in the same situation. Even the "projects" in Lufkin, Texas are not what I would call "hard knocks". It doesnt take much money at all to subsist in Lufkin, Texas. And with government housing and food stamps -- if one also has a job -- one can live quite well and have a very good upbringing.
  16. thechosen1n2

1,612 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    You are absolutely right. Its not that simple. "LIFE" is deeply rooted when you are Dezs age.
  17. Apollo Creed

8,578 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    You're better than this bro, it's the lawyer in you arguing for the sake of arguing.

It's all relative but regardless of where he was raised, it's how he was raised more than anything.
  18. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    Good point:)
  19. egn22

egn22 Active Member

817 Messages
    209 Likes Received
    Okay, I hear you. Fair enough
  20. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,327 Messages
    681 Likes Received
    Regardless of his upbringing, he is a grown man, and as such he must leave his upbringing behind and ensure that he learned from it and does not want to live with it the rest of his life. Its time he made permanent changes in his life to ensure that he never has to live that again.

Enough with using his upbringing as a crutch.... Witten had a similar upbringing.