1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An Example of Garrett's Playcall

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    This is exactly right. There are two open players on that particular play who were open and behind the sticks. This isn't an example of players being dumb, and it's not an example of bad play calling.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I think it is bit more than that, it is not that they don't know the rout often they fail to make the proper adjustment on the sight routs and being on the same page as Romo based on the defensive coverage they face when they get up to the line. I also do not think jerry is doing anything but paying the damn bills. This crap of blaming Jerry give me a break Jason want to call the plays he calls the plays Jerry is not making him do anything Jerry is giving Garrett the room to do the job. If Garrett fails then it is on Garrett
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    I was just generally speaking, not regarding this play in particular
  4. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    Exactly, on the play Romo kills the run play goes to the pass. The play works if you execute it there are open targets on the play. Had we ran and got stuffed behind the line since NY was stacked inside that would have been the wrong move for Romo. The play was there for the taking but you have to execute the play. It is not that fricken hard to understand. However as soon as a play fails the same parrots holler oh it was poor play calling as if they had a clue
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,775 Messages
    10,062 Likes Received
    Y Duznt Teh Garetz Runn Therre!!1!
  6. Risen Star

22,775 Messages
    10,062 Likes Received
    Well, I don't know. If we burn them on a long pass play in that situation because the QB read the defense correctly, would you be asking why we didn't just run the ball on 2nd and 1?
  7. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I actually like throwing the ball deep on 2nd and 1 it is like taking a free shot knowing you have a manageable 3rd down should you not connect on the deep ball.
  8. cowboys102030

cowboys102030 Member

285 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Crayton was an arrogant idiot that dropped the game winning touchdown pass against the Giants in the playoffs. He was wide the hell open, free, and if he simply caught it, the Cowboys would go up two scores in the 4th quarter. Thank god that trash is gone.
  9. Risen Star

22,775 Messages
    10,062 Likes Received
    I do too. 2nd and 1 is a great time to take a chance down the field.
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    I like it too. It's a great idea to take a shot when you've only a little to go on 3rd. This team can pick up short yardage 3rd downs pretty well--between Witten and Austin.
  11. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I think when you can have some good success on 1st down in general it opens up the playbook and keeps the defense off balance. Hell on 3rd and 10 everyone and their brother know you will pass the ball and defense knows it as well. When you can keep the down and distance in your favor as an offense it just allows a lot more opportunities to hit the big plays.
  12. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received

the point is that it also takes skills. crayton has faded. the point is that just because he did something 4 years ago, doesn't mean he could have the same success today.

and robinson was a business decision. we couldn't match it because of salary cap implications. I never said he was bad or anything, its just that we couldn't afford him. go talk to the GM. he manages the salary cap.

and the offenses success doesn't just depend on WRs. we have enough of them. it depends on the OL and that's where we went cheap.

the personnel decision sometimes comes down to money.
  13. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,978 Messages
    154 Likes Received

wow. just wow. how stories grow over time. dropped a winning TD catch? in the early part of 3rd quarter? running around the 45 yard line? so you are guaranteeing that he would have scored on that play and that would be the final score of the game because as I recall there was a whole lot of game still to play.

geez people. I wasn't the biggest crayton fan. he was a decent 3rd WR, but to blame him for a loss, that was clearly the entire team's fault!!! unbelievable.
  14. Idgit

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    You know I agree that, in general, our receivers need to be on the same page with Romo.

I think Crayton's personality got him an invitation out of Dallas. In other threads, we have fans lauding Jeff Fisher for making his headaches run stairs, but Garrett was pretty quick to get rid of personalities he thought could be toxic. It stinks, though, because PC was a player you could count on to aways be where he was supposed to be and to usually make the play. Robinson, we all know why he's gone.

I really thought we had a chance to have several young guys develop into that kind of player underneath our starters this offseason. It hasn't happened yet, but, I've got to say, I think Harris has shown signs of being that kind of guy (he deserves more mention as a possible WR3, I think), and we all know that little Beasley has the potential to be a chain-mover now that he's getting some snaps in the slot.

I believe, against weaker teams and with our running game back and putting into more 2nd and 3rd and shorts, we're going to see our offense click at the end of the year. Assuming, of course, that we don't keep losing defensive starters for the season. We finally got a glimpse this week of what the defense can do playing with a lead. It could be an effective combination if we can get it sorted in time.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Good point. After whooping the Eagles on Sunday, I'm definitely more optimistic about the rest of the season. I don't have any grand ambition of them winning the superbowl--this team is clearly not talented or deep enough to do so. But I would like to see the '3-phases' continue to improve together . Sunday was a great example of the defense helping the offense and the special teams helping the defense.

I have to admit, lately, I am starting to vaguely see the team as Garrett envisions it. I believe he wants this team to be strategic, smart, traditional. Be aggressive when the opportunity presents itself. He's conservative, which isn't exactly a bad thing for a football coach, and wants his offense, special teams and defense to complement each other rather than have just one unit dominate. I like this approach. It's boring, yeah, but it's a traditional design that SHOULD win football games.

In theory, I like that. But the product on the field is much different. There's too many negative plays and in pretty much every game, there's only 1 phase of the team that is operating as it should. It's hard to know why, exactly. Is it Jerry, Garrett, the players? All of them?
  16. Idgit

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    We've got the potential, and we've got a talented roster. But, yeah, we're at a point now where one bonehead play in a tight game can cost everything.

It's frustrating to watch, and I'm as surprised as the most depressed hater that we haven't really seen the efficiency pay off on offense. I'd expect us at this point to be one of the *least* penalized teams in the league. And to be held hostage early by mistakes at the WR position makes *no* sense to me, since we've got such a good position coach there and--I don't care what any other fan chooses to think here--a coach who values consistency and smart players on offense. I don't doubt that we're going to get there. I think this is a situation where patience and allowing the system to work is going to pay big dividends eventually. But it's frustrating and confusing to watch it happen so slowly.
  17. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    Beasley is getting more snaps, and KO is getting less targets.

Hopefully that trend continues as KO is still making mistakes.
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    That's an excellent way of putting it. I'm starting to see this side of the argument more and more.
  19. Idgit

32,017 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Yeah. I've noticed. As long as Beasley converts when the ball hits him, it should continue.

I think Harris deserves some snaps, too. His routes were really sloppy as a rookie, but the guy really does make plays when he has the ball in space. There's a lot to be said for that. I'd give him some shots on one or two routes where you're sure he knows what to do and see what happens. If nothing else, putting those snaps up for grabs should send a message to the other WRs.
  20. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,919 Messages
    1,592 Likes Received
    My main issue is not running or passing on 2nd down but why run a play from a shot gun in that situation.

Why not use a play action in that situation?