1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An Example of Garrett's Playcall

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Bluestang, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    I agree. Not all teams are built the same way and you can win even if you are not a top passing team. There is more than 1 way to win in the NFL and football in general.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    It's one reason I'm bummed Murray's out (and Costa, fwtw). I thought he'd take a lot of pressure for passing effectively off or our passing game. We can win with this defense if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with the turnovers and mistakes in the passing game.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    I agree. It hurts losing any front line player. People holler it is not an excuse that is unless it is a key player on the other team then we get threads like the one the other day about Philly winning if Vick did not go down. Fact is every team gets hurt when starters are out of the lineup, you will not be as good with the backup player than you are the starter but you still have to find a way to overcome and win games until starters come back.

Even the 90s' Cowboys record was not good when any of the triplets were out of the line up.
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    But Dallas has invested in those guys for that type of production. If they aren't getting it from them, it either means they are missing on their evaluations or aren't utilizing them correctly.

What makes you say that? No need to pout.

I may have been off base in my assumption of what you were saying. I thought since you were pointing those things out orginally, you were advocating spending another high pick or large FA contract on another WR.

I'd have no issue investing heavily throughout the middle rounds on WRs like GB. The NO investment is certainly less than Dallas. Same for NE.

Atlanta is a comparable case to Dallas now. However, if the team made a move to add another WR high or spend a lot of money in FA, they'd have invested more.

You can't just continue to spend significant resources at the same position over and over again. You won't get better as a team.

Since 2009, Dallas has spent a 1st and 3rd for Roy Williams, a first for Dez and a six year, $54 million deal for Austin. That is a lot to spend (and more than the teams above) and then turn around and say the team still needs a TO/Miles in his breakout year level of production.

BTW, Miles is on pace for 76 catches/1189 yard/7 TD type of season.
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,119 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    At this point it is unquestionable that Bryant is not worth what was given up for him. Maybe that will change but at this point, no.

It is unquestionable that what we gave up for Roy Williams was not worth it

Same with Joey Galloway.

On the other hand, our best wr threats from the past, oh, 10-15 years? Terry Glenn, Terrell Owens, Keyshawn Johnson, Miles Austin, Jason WITTEN. Every single one of them a great value and exceptional production for said value.

The key to me is that everyone up there Was very capable and effective outside.....

Except Jason WITTEN and to an extent Miles Austin, who is much better inside.

We need outside receivers who can work the sidelines better.
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    The Roy Williams debacle it what it is and what I said it is...a debacle. That really hurt in terms of what we got out of RW and in the draft of 2009.

That's a bad mark that falls on everyone involved with that, but recent drafts have been better.

Enough said there, let's not turn this into one those threads, OK?

Your right, I'm sorry about that.

I'm not advocating anything other than Dallas needs to have a consistent guy that can produce double digit TDs that primarily plays on the outside. Whether that is Bryant or vet FA/draft pick it needs to be someone that can be depended on. As far as draft goes, BPA all the way no matter what.

Austin's biggest plays have primarily come from the slot so I wouldn't expect things to change anytime soon. Beasley is probably the only guy that can really challenge Austin for the slot role because of his prior experience doing it at SMU.

The story book is not done with Bryant although I'm disappointed with his progress so far. I'd at least expect the Cowboys to keep him around for at least another year as his contract doesn't expire until 2015.

The 7 TDs would be disappointing IMO.
  7. e41dalasfan

e41dalasfan New Member

109 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It looked like a high percentage pass play that if executed correctly would yield a 1st down, but even if he would have caught the pass it would be hard for him to stay in bounds ...Well thought out play, but it is used at the wrong time in the game
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,616 Messages
    3,345 Likes Received
    You may very well be right. I've been speaking in generalities although I've seen the play a few times.
  9. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,486 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    [youtube]R6UeKKz-6W0[/youtube]
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,616 Messages
    3,345 Likes Received
    Nice find. I enjoyed that.
  11. Idgit

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Loved that. Especially the very end with Tony leaving the Linc.
  12. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,282 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    That was sweet. Good find.
  13. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,198 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    But Witten had the yardage needed for the first down. Plus they had that throw all day long.
  14. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    yes, you can yank guys.
    it isn't that hard to do.
    we have back ups for a reason.
    play them and profit.

you do not need to bench guys for a half or game but a few plays to send a message.

anyone arguing more shouldn't be done is simply not paying attention.
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    Yes. Hatcher was yanked after an off-sides. He played later in the game and addressed it saying it was a completely stupid penalty he wouldn't commit again.
  16. Idgit

29,556 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    I'm comfortable throwing deep to Harris in single coverage for a play or two. Or running Dunbar instead of Felix. Or just bringing in a two TE set if you have to change the personnel group to get reliable players on the field for a snap or two. I'm less comfortable with taking out an OT for jumping or a CB for lining up offsides (until Jenkins is back, anyway). But, yeah, pick your spots and send an actual message during the games. Sit them longer if the problems persist. Especially on offense. If you don't have guys who can be where they're supposed to and who can focus through to a snap, then it highlights the problem that you need different guys.
  17. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    LOL. Yup. He had that same smirk he has with the media when they are knocking him. He clearly handles the ups and downs well.

He believes in making plays.
    Good ones and bad ones but that is who he is.
    And good grief is it entertaining.
  18. DJ PACE

DJ PACE Member

74 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]

had to do it....lol
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,285 Messages
    1,178 Likes Received
    On offense you can control the play call so you can sit Tyron Smith and play Pernell for a couple of plays.

I agree it can be scary at times but you really do need to send a message.
    Sitting Dez for Harris hasn't hurt punt returns obviously. If we keep the guys on the roster we cant be scared to play them.

We sat Hatcher for a series and he came with the fumble recovery in the end zone.

I think you are correct with Jenkins which is why Rob let Mo play through the growing pains and bad plays. But I'd have sat him for Scandrick for a couple plays and just helped that side of the field with coverage. Just try to get him back in before the offense can adjust.