1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An informal survey: Is Romo closer to Aikman or to White?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    I can never agree with these comments. Aikman was all about accuracy and putting the ball in spots. That is how their offense was run. Just giving a guy things doesn't mean he will succeed. If that was the case David Carr would still have a shot somewhere.

That being said, I like Romo a lot but he still isn't close to either guy. White went to 3 NFC Championship games. I want to see how his career plays out first.
  2. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,344 Messages
    830 Likes Received

In my dark heart of hearts I would say that both Aikman and White would have gotten us -- somehow -- into the playoffs in that last game. And both would have achieved at least a 9-7 season.
  3. GimmeTheBall!

13,344 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    It's called humility. Aikman was so good that he can say these kind of things. If Romo is better than Aikman was, then Murray is better than Emmett and Dez is already better than Irvin.

But we know that is not the case, huh?

But put Romo on Aikman's best teams and I half no dout Tony could reach the Super Bowl.
  4. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    does this really need to be debated ?
  5. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Well-Known Member

1,023 Messages
    183 Likes Received
    This is a long but good read about A-Rod > http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/50877666/ns/sports-baseball/

What Romo has in common with A-Rod
    • came on board with high (championship) expectations
    • then choked
    • maginified by being on a high-profile team
    • has really good personal stats until the playoffs

What Romo does NOT have in common with A-Rod
    • he gets along with his teamates
    • he's just likeable in general - not a jerk
    • not smug or priviliged
    • no trouble with PEDs, other drugs, or the law
  6. GimmeTheBall!

13,344 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    Yes, now go back to your skyping with the UT track team.
  7. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Try making sense next time. Those other guys have nothing to do with this discussion and your analogy is completely baseless.

"Humility"? You're only assuming Troy was being humble because his opinion is one that you don't want him to have. :rolleyes:
  8. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    Also the rules favor the WR today. Db's use to mug the WR, you know this. I think had Aikman played in this era of football he would have an insane completion %. It's amazing the completion % he did have especially with Irvin lining up telling the DB what route he was running.
  9. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,465 Messages
    1,621 Likes Received
    There is no doubt the game has changed some. But the fact Romo's % is as high as it it, while always under duress, and some receivers with a possibly shaky understanding of the playbook, is still quite impressive in its own right.
  10. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,610 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    hmm, locate a QB who put up numbers and could only manage 1 playoff victory. Compare him to that guy.

No comparison with Elway, who had gone to Super Bowls prior to Shanahan.
  11. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,942 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    No doubt I am not taking anything way from what he has done. I think he is talented, but I am worried that at 33 those skills are starting to erode. He needs the team to be better period or he isn't going to have those wins show up when they need to show up. Hopefully this year he can pull even with his playoff record.
  12. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,896 Messages
    1,210 Likes Received
    I haven't seen any signs of his skills eroding but his confidence continues to erode that's the biggest concern with him.
  13. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,636 Messages
    2,739 Likes Received
    Top 10 Seasons in Passer Rating
    Staubach 7 (1971, 1973, 1975-79)
    Meredith 6 (1962-63, 1965-68)
    Aikman 6 (1991-1995, 1998)
    Romo 6 (2006-09, 2011-12)
    White 5 (1980-83, 85)

Top 5 Seasons in Passer Rating
    Staubach 5 (1971, 1973, 1977-79)
    Aikman 4 (1992-95)
    Meredith 3 (1962, 1966, 1968)
    Romo 3 (2006-07, 2011)
    White 2 (1981-82)

Average Rank in 5 Best Seasons
    Staubach 1st
    Aikman 4th
    Meredith 5th
    Romo 6th
    White 7th

Keeping in mind that Meredith played in a much smaller league.
  14. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,453 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Football's a team sport. Ask Archie Manning.
  15. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,095 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    The people who lay the 1 playoff win at Romo's feet are absurd. I suppose they are big Jerry Jones fans and think he is just doing a swell job at putting a competent team together.

The only reason anyone thinks Romo should have more than 1 playoff win is well...Romo. Romo has masked a lot of ills, but not good enough to overcome an incompetent owner/gm.
  16. randy932

randy932 Member

529 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Closer to Craig Morton, but without the arm.
  17. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,125 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Morton had a cannon and the size no doubt. He actually had a very good couple of yrs with the Broncos. If not for the bum shoulder when he took over for Dandy Don he may have been something. His 1st 5 or so games starting for us were actually very good, its when he hurt his shoulder that things started to go downhill for him.
  18. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Active Member

759 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    This is the key, in my opinion. If we had a better run game, a ton of pressure would be weighted off of Romo and that would allow the passing game to be more productive. You can see the differences when the run game is going good with Murray. Just a little inconsistent, unlike those '90 teams.
  19. GimmeTheBall!

13,344 Messages
    830 Likes Received

Well, Mr. Negativity took a sour pill.
    It's also called opinon, or howevr you spell it. I never brought those other guys, OK, Mr. Negativity?
    And anyway what be analogy? Is it something bad?
    And I called it humility because no one in his or her or its right mind would say that is a fact. Romo might be beter than White but not better than Aikman.

And quit rolling your eyes. They is gonna stay that whey, didn't your elders tell you that several years ago when you was a kid? Huh?

Half a nice day.
  20. GimmeTheBall!

13,344 Messages
    830 Likes Received
    Oh, those other guys. I thot you means the other QB mensioned. I just brought Emmett and Irvin into the discussion to point out how odd that thot be: that Romo is beter than Aikman right now.

So gimme a break, Mr. Negativity. I half feelings too. Not real feelings but ya know, words can hurt.