1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An informal survey: Is Romo closer to Aikman or to White?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by GimmeTheBall!, Feb 25, 2013.

1. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,434 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    All these comparisons to great QBs. So will Tony, after more years, be in the HOF? Would he be in the HOF if he retired today?
    I don't think he'll ever even whiff the HOF.
  2. garrett316

garrett316 Well-Known Member

2,455 Messages
    163 Likes Received

Have to agree with this.

Yes, Romo isnt playing with the same talent, but he is playing in an era much more conducive to throwing the ball all over the place. The one thing about that last Washington game was Romo seemed scattered. His demeanor on the sideline was kind of frazzled, and my thinking is the moment is too big for him or he simply tries to do too much because he has too.

Aikman elevated his game in January. Take a look at the 92 NFC Title Game, SB XXVII, either of the Green Bay playoff games in '94 or '95 or hell, the '94 Title game loss to the Niners.

Yes, Troy had a ton of help, but he was appreciably better when the games mattered most - playoff time, winning time.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,977 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    Well, we know that Romo DID throw a perfect ball to Crayton for the game-winning score, only to see him cut his route short.

I believe Troy would have made a perfect pass too.:D

What we would hope is that the game would not have come down to that and Troy would have played better than Tony did earlier in the game.
    Who knows though. The Giants dline was in high gear that day and laying the wood on Romo. It's not like Troy would have not been hit as much or more.
  4. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,010 Messages
    1,586 Likes Received
    Thanks AC. I hope to post some new stuff when I get time in a couple of weeks or so.

Until then, it'll be mostly recycled material. ;)
  5. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    And that defense. Don't forget the defense. But I agree, if Romo played with Aikman's teams, he'd have multiple SB trophies too. No doubt in my mind.
  6. GimmeTheBall!

12,434 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    I bet Tony would feel so good if he read your post. Thx on his behalf. :)
  7. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,252 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    Is an extension for Romo in the best interest of the team?

Well Aikman said we would win no more than 3 games without Romo, so I would think an extension would be in the best interest of the team. In fact, even the Romo haters admit that there is currently no QB we can get that would be better, their argument is that we should get rid of Romo so we can tank and get the first pick so we can then draft Johnny football.

So even the haters agree that we would suck without Romo, they just wouldnt mind it.
  8. cowboys2233

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Anything I can do to inject a little happiness into Tony's life!
  9. Beast_from_East

14,252 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    Yea, its hard to take these type of threads seriously when Jerry says we dont need to upgrade the oline because Romo is mobile.

Yea, its all Romo's fault we dont have more than 1 playoff win.:rolleyes:
  10. GimmeTheBall!

12,434 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    Aikman is correct about the 3 games. Heck with Romo we half won 8 games last season and the previous one. Romo is a goog QB.
  11. Beast_from_East

14,252 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    I agree with you, he is a dam good QB.

Apparently the team thinks so too, I just listened to the podcast of Cowboys Break on DallasCowboys.com and Nick Eatman said he is hearing an extension in the $17 million a year range for Romo.

The deal should get done very soon, at least that was the impression I got that they needed to get it done to be under the cap by the March 12th start date of free agency.
  12. GimmeTheBall!

12,434 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    With Romo I am at ease. At least, we can only hope for the best, beast from the East.
  13. cowboys2233

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    Good, he deserves it. $17 million per year is not bad for a top-five QB in the league, which is exactly what Romo is. Play Flacco $22+ million a year or whatever the heck the price tag is these days, Romo is better.
  14. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Or Ryan Leaf!
  15. GimmeTheBall!

12,434 Messages
    535 Likes Received
    That is extreme.
    Those who do not like Romo as our QB should show more subtlety, as in "I think Romo is a good QB." Or "If I had a college team, I'd want Romo to lead it."
    Or "Romo would certainly be among those considered as good QBs."
    And, lastly, "Romo can throw as well as the best of them in Madden NFL" "Or he's a lot better than Leaf!"
  16. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,581 Messages
    1,189 Likes Received
    I disagree. Because Romo is a vicinity passer and Aikman was a surgeon.

Just imagine when Aikman threw the slant how it would hit Irvin or Harper right in the hands.

Now recall all the seasons of Romo when they have tried to use that slant and seen the ball behind the receiver, too far in front, way too high - Roy Williams can atest to this.

The bread and butter play that was automatic for Aikman on third and 4 or 5 would be a complete disaster for Romo.

Romo has other skill sets. Moving to open spaces and allowing the play to develop and finding receivers.

But he couldn't carry the tool kit for Aikman when it came to pin point accuracy. Which was the hallmark of that offense.

Not saying Romo isn't a quality quarterback. Because if I don't that starts a fight with people trying to tell me what I think.

But there have been few if any passers as accurate under thirty-five yards as Aikman. And in that timing based offense, Romo would struggle.
  17. rags747

rags747 Active Member

989 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Disagree that Romo is a vicinity qb and have seen him throw many slants right on the money.
  18. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,977 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Romo is very accurate.

Romo is not nearly as accurate as Aikman in his prime, however.
    That dude had 2-3 sin a row sometimes where the ball never touched the turf.
  19. rags747

rags747 Active Member

989 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    What would you attribute Romo's completion % to, softer defense?
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,848 Messages
    1,226 Likes Received
    I don't know what a "vicinity passer" means?

Aikman threw to a spot on the field because he knew his receivers would be there...Romo has to tell his receivers where the hell to line up!

Aikman had protection most of the time, Romo does not most of the time.

Aikman had the NLF's rushing leader, Romo does not.

And, Roy Williams? Really? That dude was a mistake from the get go!

And, what about the defense that Aikman had during his time with the Cowboys? You remember them?

If Romo had a team that Aikman had, he would have already won a SB!

Come on, bro!

As Aikman would say, "Get real...."