1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An Objective Mediot Who Actually Gets It

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

6,868 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    Sounds like he's drinking the Jerry Jones koolaid..
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,841 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    you notice those defending him are just about all addicted to that particular beverage.
  3. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    There are two things that need to be weeded out here

1) This whole notion of "mediots" is just becoming annoying. Hey, get this, the team used to be considered the model franchise for about 30 years and then in the last 2 decades things have gone ugly and we have bungled FA signings, Jerry doing his thing, 1 playoff win and enough drama to keep All My Children on the air. These media people are at Valley Ranch. They have more connections than 90% of us here. So please stop acting like that anyone who says something bad about the Cowboys has lost perspective when the team has done nothing and has been a circus for well over a decade now. Maybe "Garrett is powerless" comes up because all other coaches..even Parcells...ended up being powerless and left. What has happened to change that? Wake up. It's not a novel aspect of being with the Cowboys.

2) Well written article and I'm glad the coaches are excited BUT you also have to take these things as they are..puff pieces. Of course Dooley is excited. No one was calling him and he was sitting on his couch but the Cowboys wanted him. It's special because he never expected a job offer. Kiffin just had a horrible run at USC and is 72...who was beating down his door? Listen, I like theses guys enthusiasm. I hope they do a better job than Garrett to get us farther than these past years. But them being excited doesn't mean that things are great at the Ranch. It means some guys who needed jobs, got jobs with cool perks at they are fired up to have said job.
  4. burmafrd

41,841 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received

you clearly have not been elsewhere and seen the local coverage. I have been and NOWHERE else are the local MEDIOTS (And they have EARNED that curseword) so anti team as they are here. even in places like cleveland they are not this bad.
  5. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Are you kidding? I've lived in Chicago for 2 years now. These people are relentless. It is negative 90% of the time. Nothing is good enough. This media market beats the crud out of the glad handing and good ole boy pop shots taken at the Cowboys in the Texas area.

The Cowboys were the darlings for decades. The media loved the players, the personalities and all the winning. The media is negative now because of a few things...losing, Jones and Jones way of running the dog and pony show. We are talking about a franchise that had a winning record in 26 out of 31 years. Then they basically started making horrible moves, treating people like they were idiots and they haven't won a thing. Losing equals negativity. What do you want from the media...to paint a rosy picture of the past 17 years and act like it hasn't happened? That is the job of the people on the these boards that have no objective mindset and who accept mediocre as the new "good."
  6. burmafrd

41,841 Messages
    1,686 Likes Received
    I lived in the Chicago media area for 20 years. There is nothing you can tell me aabout that at all.

And your sample size is very limited
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    You're exactly right. What's more, every media guy in town (with the possible exception of Newy Scruggs, I'm not sure on him) love them some Garrett and most have been openly rooting for him to succeed. So it's wrong to act like everyone in town wants the team to fail.

But as pointed out above, this "article" wasn't even written by a so-called mediot. It was written by a fan on a fan site much like this one. The OP liked it so much because this Tom Ryle guy is a hopeful cheerleader just like he is.
  8. HoustonFrog

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    Sample size may be limited but it doesn't take away the fact that I think that despite some negativity the Cowboys don't have it all that bad compared to say here. I mean look at guys like Galloway. His good ole boy style isn't exactly scathing and most of the stuff he writes on Jones and the Cowboys is geared on the reality that they haven't won and Jerry makes some peculiar moves. He loves Romo. I just think when you lose for this long, people will ask more questions. It's not negative. It's wondering "why." These guys are writers or reporters. They take what is given to them and add opinion or narrative. They have more access. But that is what they do and when a team isn't getting it done, then the tone gets to be more on a down note.

Right. I've seen more media members support Garrett and Romo than most fans. The negative things I see come from losing and what Jones can do to change it.....stop being GM, his failed moves, unusual hirings, etc....Jerry just the last 2 years has caught more heat but, again, what do you expect when you go from winning at a high end clip to losing.
  9. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,728 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    there is a picture of this Ryle person at the top of the article!
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This. Nothing to see here. Move along, people.

The fact that the OP would find validation in this "article" merely speaks to the desperate measures that homer fans will take to collect any validation that things are well @ValleyR.

It gets difficult to watch fellow Cowboy brothers reduced to dumpster diving for shards of substantive hope.
  11. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Why are you even here? It's February and you can't take one ounce of optimism about the next season. These are good coaches with good track records and they are excited about being here. Fans are by definition "homers", don't know what that makes guys like you.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Does he have some kind of access that other media members dont have?

When it comes to culture, I tend to believe the former players that have played for the Cowboys recently.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,891 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    Believe what?
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    What Brady James and others have said. It doesn't suit your agenda, but the players know what it is like.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

5,891 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    I dont have any agenda. I just like to see some objectivity even tho its rare around here.
  16. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,061 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    You actually contradict yourself in the thread title.
  17. J-DOG

J-DOG Active Member

2,135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Rod Marinelli is an excellent defensive coach. Former Marine/Vietnam veteran and he really had the Bears creating turnovers last year. He will bring an enthusiasm and a form of incentive to get this team flying around the ball on defense.
    I seem to recall watching a Bears game this last season and the color guy was explaining how Marinelli grades his defensive players. If you do not hustle he will make sure you know about it and he is very creative in rewarding his players who do. I'm not talking about a bounty system either.
  18. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    Did Kiffin get abused by the NCAA or by Oregon?

I don't watch NCAA football so I really do not know.
  19. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Objectivity? Lol when someone writes something that you agree with is objectivity.
  20. WPBCowboysFan

5,891 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    Its not about agreeing or disagreeing. It about looking at things realistically rather than filtering everything thru a particular skewed perspective and then slanting it to fit that imagined perspective.