1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

An Objective Mediot Who Actually Gets It

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,988 Messages
    952 Likes Received
  2. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    They don't have to do much slanting. There is plenty of negative topics that they can report about on the current team. If anything, your problem is the lack of positive reporting. An 8-8 team should have equal amounts of both. I don't think the media makes up negative topics. They don't have to with this team.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    I recall Kiffin had a good year I think his first at USC. More likely that the talent just did not line up right.

Or it could be that like some coaches he just was not good at the College Level.

Just like a number of college coaches never do well in the pros
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Kiffin's defense only gave up 730 yards to Oregon last year.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,768 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    You are correct that this 8-8 team has enough negatives to discuss w/o making any up.

However, when you say the media doesnt make any negative topics up, well, that is just a tad naive IMO.
  6. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    believing every positive article is gospel and not a puff piece to divert the fans from Jerry's ramblings is just as naive
  7. WPBCowboysFan

5,768 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    Very true.

But listening to what is said, seeing what can be seen, and evaluating for oneself is not naive. Recognizing mediot spin and fabrication is not naive.

Drinking the mediot negative Kool-Aid is naive.
  8. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,168 Messages
    338 Likes Received
    Never ceases to amaze me how it almost makes the 'realists' giddy to shoot down something that has even the TINIEST little vibe of positivity.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,459 Messages
    2,277 Likes Received
    Thanks for the insight. I don't think anyone know that USC struggled against Oregon. :rolleyes:
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It is much easier to believe the negative articles considering the failure to produce a playoff winner for the last several years. There some serious reasons to doubt the current leadership of the organization and the direction that they are headed. In other words, they are easy targets for the media.
  11. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,988 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Yeah, hopefully it was just not a good match for whatever reason.
  12. WPBCowboysFan

5,768 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    While very true it still doesnt make all the mediot speculation true.

I can look at the team and be pissed that they have had a lousy 16 years. I can look at Jerry and Jason, and the back to back 8-8 records and find plenty to criticize them about w/o spin and fabrication.

So for me it doesnt make it any easier to believe BS, it just makes it easier to look at the mediots as mediots when they spin and fabricate to sensationalize. And when I drink their Kool-Aid it puts me in their category.

Its all about accuracy in the details. Its about validity. And for the most part, a large majority of the mediots have sacrificed their legitimacy because they would rather create buzz than be accurate.
  13. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    USC was the preseason #1 team in the entire country! They were loaded as usual. Yet the Kiffin father-son combo were repeatedly demolished.

When required to work resourcefully with youngsters...facing increasingly sophisticated college offenses...Monte at age 72...had no answers.

So you propose that thoughtful fans are supposed to get hyped and see this Kiffin nonsense as some big improvement...as some Cowboy renaissance? What a complete joke. The only changes I see are that Jerry is just older. More addled. Worse.

But hey...go right ahead and buy tickets for more carnival rides. It's your money.
  14. WPBCowboysFan

5,768 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    This is sheer brilliance. Amazing insight.

Its generally been viewed as common knowledge that Pete Carroll left at the right time because the talent was lacking and he knew it. The program was on the slide.

Thanks for clearing things up.
  15. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

we all know it happened and we also know that USC typically has a LOT of talent. Is it possible they were young and thin and overmatched due to the probation from the NCAA? I will say this: I watched them a few times and they looked exactly liek that: young pups getting beat up on by older, more experienced offenses: especially at Oregon.

Pete Carroll just came out yesterday and said Monte was too sophisticated and complex for the college kids...basically said he's a genius (which he would, as Monte was his mentor) and they couldn't grasp his schemes. I'd really like to believe that but....just don't know. Time will tell obviously.
  16. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...it didn't 'slide' until after he left. Make no mistake, he got outta dodge before the law showed up: pretty gutless on Carroll's part.
    The question is did it slide due to scholarship reductions by the NCAA or because the Kiffins boys were inept? Again, time will tell.