1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Andy Reid fired by Philadelphia Eagles

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by jobberone, Dec 30, 2012.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,148 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000118990/article/andy-reid-fired-by-philadelphia-eagles

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid learned from owner Jeffrey Lurie on Friday that he would coach his final game with the team on Sunday against the New York Giants, according to two sources. The Eagles are expected to formally announce Reid's firing Monday.

The Eagles "strongly" denied Reid has already been fired.

The Eagles' season ended Sunday with a 42-7 loss to the Giants.
  2. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,293 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    im really curious to find out who their next head coach will be, wonder if we'll here that monday as well
  3. jobberone

39,148 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    Me, too. They may not hire anyone until after the playoffs although they can start to interview some.
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    They seem to be looking at Oregon's chip Kelly.
  5. jobberone

39,148 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    That may be a good thing. I'm trying to adjust to thinking that way as the offense dominates the D these days.

I'd look at Shanahan in Wash.
  6. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,293 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    i think they already know who they want - its been known that reid would not be head coach after this year for a while
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,556 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Good, I`m happy that we don`t have to face him anymore. He is a quality coach and has been fielding quality teams for several years now. Things kind of snowballed on them this year but there is a lot of young talent that he has stockpiled and it won`t take them long to be rebuilt so long as the new guy decides not to tear it all up.

On the DL they have Cox, Graham and Cole. They have Ryans at LB. They have a really good CB in DRC. There is potential at Safety. There are some good young OL in Mathis and Danny Watkins. Jason Peters should be back next year at LT. They still have tremendous talent at skill positions with Desean Jackson, Maclin and Lesean McCoy.

The real key to turning them around outside of bringing in a fresh DC who can make better use of their talent and getting better play at the QB spot.

I really hope they hire a green college coach who gets outclassed in the NFL and lands the team in the dumper.
  8. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    The Vick experiment, and that new contract didn't help any. He placed his bet, and he lost. Reid's decisions had been becoming more eccentric, and costly since the end of 2010.

His departure had been less a question of if, and more a question of when for a while - this was an opportunity that ownership (Lurie) couldn't pass up. It looks like it was all a matter of production, and nobody can reasonably question it. Not even Reid's biggest supporters.

Now, the next question becomes; when will Vick follow his old boss out the door? Probably with 24 hours of the Super Bowl. There. Now I've placed my bet too. ;)

Ah, the Eagles off season- does it get any better?
  9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,205 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    Hey, let's bring him in as our OC.

ha ha ha
  10. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I feel for the guy. What a nightmare year for him. Son dies in training camp. The team quit on him. If I was him, I would never want to see Philly again. Move on to something better down the road.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,648 Likes Received
    I think if was time that the team moved on. With that said, I don't know if they could get a better long term coach...might find a good short term coach but doubt they will someone better.than him in the long haul.
  12. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,601 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    DRC is a free agent. He probably won't be back.