1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Annual anonymous scouts/ personnel guys talk top prospects

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Apr 6, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,146 Messages
    1,127 Likes Received
    Not sure if this has been posted already

Trent Richardson*, RB, Alabama: 5-11, 225. Backed up Mark Ingram for two seasons before exploding for 1,679 yards (5.9) and 21 TDs in 2011. "Two years ago when Ingram won the Heisman, people at Alabama laughed behind the scenes saying, 'Ingram isn't even the best player in his own backfield,' " one scout said. "And Ingram is a nice player. But Richardson is big-time. He is probably the most complete player in this draft. Every superlative that you could put on him he's got." Regarded as a mature person and a tremendous worker. "He immediately changes your team," another scout said. "From whatever it is to a tough team. Because he's a tough guy. He's the total package. Pass protects. Everything."

Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina: 6-5½, 284. Talented and versatile enough to play any D-line position in any scheme. "At the Senior Bowl nobody could (expletive) block him," one scout said. "He's such a smooth, fluid-moving guy. Sometimes it comes so easy to him, maybe he gets bored. He can do anything he wants." Production and effort appeared to wane as a senior. Labeled a "complete underachiever" in 2011 by another scout. "You want to like him, but I don't think he plays the run real well," a third scout said. "He will go in the first, but he scares me. There's a lot of things that I don't trust about those (North Carolina) guys."

Luke Kuechly*, ILB, Boston College: 6-3, 242. Three-year starter with whopping production (532 tackles, including 35½ for loss, and seven interceptions). "Kuechly has a natural nose for the ball," one scout said. "He can play all three downs." Compared by scouts to Paul Posluszny, Barrett Ruud and Sean Lee. Not as big as James Laurinaitis. "Tackle to tackle guy who can run a little bit and cover a little bit," another scout said. "He makes plays. He finds the ball. Just a solid, undersized kind of guy."

Morris Claiborne*, CB, Louisiana State: 6-0, 185. Seldom played as a true freshman, then intercepted five passes opposite Patrick Peterson in 2010 and picked six more in '11. "I think he's a good player but, man, I know a lot of top-10 corners that were better than him," one scout said. "I don't think he'll be a flop. He's got excellent ball skills and good speed. He's a solid cornerback in the NFL." Peterson's exceptional work on returns puts him above Claiborne. "He's athletic as hell," another scout said. "Sudden. Fast. Will hit."

Dre Kirkpatrick*, CB, Alabama: 6-2½, 190. Another two-year starter with three interceptions. "He's the toughest of all the corners coming out this year," one scout said. "Looks like he can run." Was arrested for marijuana possession in January, but the charge was dropped. "He's going to (expletive) you off because he's such a freelancer," another scout said. "That's kind of his persona. To do that you'd better be Deion Sanders. Claiborne's upside isn't as big as Kirkpatrick's. Claiborne is more well-rounded."

David DeCastro*, G, Stanford: 6-5, 316. Three-year starter. "He will start and play 12 years, make a couple Pro Bowls, that kind of guy," one scout said. "Everything you want in a guard, he's got it." Often compared to G Mike Iupati, the 49ers' first-round pick in 2010. "Iupati was more flexible, but they have the same demeanor," another scout said. "Try to grab you and kill you. He's stiff, smart and very tough. I would be hesitant taking him in the first because I don't think he can play tackle."

Peter Konz*, C, Wisconsin: 6-5, 314. Two scouts said he wasn't as good of a prospect as the Jets' Nick Mangold or the Steelers' Maurkice Pouncey. "He's a notch below those guys, but he's pretty good," one scout said. "He can pull and do all those things. He gun snaps. He's not a real physical guy. I shouldn't say that. He's good enough. But he doesn't blow people off the ball. He's probably more athletic than (Kevin) Zeitler. This kid can probably play guard, too." Three-year starter. Suffered a broken ankle late in the season and won't work out until pro day. "He moves OK, not great," another scout said. "He's not a first-round pick. He could probably start (immediately)." Added a third scout: "He's got good size, and that's rare right now. Good, solid player."

Melvin Ingram, DE-OLB, South Carolina: 6-1, 264. Played almost every D-line and LB position. "He's a little guy that's not explosive," one scout said. "I don't know where you play him. He's OK. He's not that good of an athlete." Played extensively off the bench for three seasons before starting as a senior. "If you line him up as an end in a 4-3 he's going to get blocked a lot," one scout said. "Outside backer in a 3-4 is probably the best starting point for him. He's got good temperament. He will bring something to your team from a toughness-intangible (standpoint). Is he an elite pass rusher? Absolutely not. Is he an elite run-down defender? Absolutely not. But he's a good football player who has to move around and play a bunch of different positions. A creative coach like (Bill) Belichick could do something with this guy." Finished with 21½ sacks.

Fletcher Cox*, DT, Mississippi State: 6-4, 298. Started two of his three seasons, finishing with 8½ sacks. "He's probably a pure 4-3 DT who can give you reps at DE," one scout said. "He's got the athletic ability to be a better pass rusher in the future than his numbers have indicated so far." Nicknamed "The Beast." Said another scout: "Guy can run all day. He's explosive, strong hands, good hips. He's country. He's hard. He looooves football."

Michael Brockers*, DT, Louisiana State: 6-7, 322. Played just two seasons before renouncing his final two years of eligibility. "Cox is a quicker-twitch guy than Brockers," one scout said. "Brockers can play 3-4 end or 4-3 DT. He's probably a little stouter against the run than Cox. Cox is probably a better athlete." Finished with two sacks. "He's a young kid and the light is just starting to go on," another scout said. "He hasn't even touched his ceiling yet. He's very powerful. He's a really good two-gapper. Occasionally, he's got a little bit of pass rush. Vonnie Holliday was a better athlete. This kid is bigger."

Dontari Poe*, NT, Memphis: 6-4, 346. Finished with five sacks in 35 games (30 starts). "He's probably the most athletic D-lineman in this draft over 300 pounds," one scout said. "He is phenomenally gifted with athleticism. He's not fat at all. Different level of competition. He has flashes of dominance. He's a well-spoken kid." Prototypical space-eater. "He has ability, OK?" another scout said. "I wouldn't say he can't move. You have to understand, that was a poor, poor team. That lad had very little help."

Devon Still, DT, Penn State: 6-5, 303. Built in imposing fashion a la Justin Harrell. "He has a lot of talent, but he's up and down," one scout said. "I don't understand that. I don't think it's lack of effort. He fits the 5-technique (DE in a 3-4), what you want them to look like." Two-year starter with 10½ sacks. Art Still, his uncle, was a Pro Bowl DE for Kansas City in the 1980s. "He's a flash player," another scout said. "But down in, down out, he's a developmental guy."

Dont'a Hightower*, ILB-OLB, Alabama: 6-2, 265. Played ILB in the Crimson Tide's base 3-4 but often put his hand down and rushed on passing downs. "Does he flash big-time plays?" one scout said. "Yeah, he does. Does he dominate like a guy 6-3, 265 should? Not on a consistent basis." Blew out his knee in Game 4 of 2009 and, according to some scouts, has yet to play back to his old form. "He's got the ability of the guy the Raiders took (Rolando McClain)," another scout said. "Some people don't know how tough he is. The knock on him is if he really inserts. But he is strong. I've seen him take his hand and just stand up guards." He tried to power rush tackles and ended up with five sacks. "He's capable of playing outside (linebacker)," a third scout said. "He can do anything you ask him to do."

Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama: 6-1½, 272. Projects as an OLB in a 3-4 or a strong-side LB in a 4-3. "The only reason Upshaw could go ahead of Ingram is because Upshaw actually played up and down and Ingram played all over the place," one scout said. "I don't think Upshaw was really outstanding in the Senior Bowl. I thought he was just ordinary. He's very physical, but he gets cut a lot. That's because he's stiff." Two-year starter with 16½ sacks. "(People) think he's Cornelius Bennett and he's not," another scout said. "He's a good, tough, nasty college football player that I think will get blocked a lot in the NFL." Scored just 9 on the 50-question Wonderlic intelligence test. "He's just a tough (expletive)," a third scout said. "He's really not a burn the edge guy. He is not fast. He's built like a fire hydrant. Maybe a 3-4 team will take him in the first."

Mark Barron, S, Alabama: 6-1½, 223. Three-year starter. "He's a plug-in and play starting safety from Day One," one scout said. "Of all the Alabama guys, Trent Richardson and Mark Barron are the two most dependable guys. You know what you're getting. There is no question about it. He can play deep safety and down in the box as a dime cover guy on the tight end or back out of the backfield. He's a good blitzer and good in run support." Finished with 12 interceptions. "For a big, tall guy he can break down," another scout said. "He's not Troy Polamalu. There's 25 guys in this draft better than Barron."

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draft-outlook-es4aae2-140451293.html
  2. myslamsareolder

myslamsareolder Member

189 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Amen to the Ingram quotes. Idk why everyone loved this guy... the Poe stuff is interesting... in a good way.
  3. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,457 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Clicking the link I saw this:

"Robert Griffin*, QB, Baylor: 6-2½, 223. "He's phenomenal," one scout said. "He's going to need technique work and fundamentals. I have no problem about that. But you cannot lose the fact that he's got feet, touch downfield with accuracy, a strong arm. He's charismatic and smart as (expletive)." Played and started all four years, but had his '09 season cut short by a knee injury requiring reconstructive surgery. Finished with an NFL passer rating of 110.1. "He cannot play quarterback," another scout said. "He's just running around winging it. He has no idea how to play quarterback. He's got no vision. He's got no accuracy. No touch. Anything you look for in an NFL quarterback, he doesn't have it. You want him to run around and throw the ball and just keep running, he can do that. He's (Michael) Vick, but not as good a thrower."

*** was the 2nd scout watching? That guy shouldn't have a job if that was his scouting report on Griffin. That sounds like a fan who hasn't seen RG3 play but pulls assumptions out of nowhere.
  4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,546 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Cox is growing on me. I wouldn't mind picking him at #14 if DeCastro is gone. I love the the fact that he has a non-stop motor and loves football. I like those traits in a football player.
  5. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,457 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    The scout says "He's probably a pure 4-3 DT"

We run a 3-4.
  6. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,785 Messages
    126 Likes Received

I've seen others say he could play the 5 technique in the 3-4. But I guess the Cowboys will have to make that evaluation whether he is a fit for their defense.
  7. Tobal

Tobal Well-Known Member

1,988 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    Griffn has great touch and he's so different than Vick.... not sure what this guy is watching.
  8. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Actually we run a hybrid with multiple 3-4 and 4-3 looks.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    give me Poe at 14
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    "I would be hesitant taking him in the first because I don't think he can play tackle."

must be the same moron who was talking about RG3