Another director exits 'X-Men 3' Wednesday, June 1, 2005 Posted: 11:38 AM EDT (1538 GMT) LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- With just two months until production begins, the director of "X-Men 3" has left the Fox project, citing personal reasons. The Marvel superhero sequel would have marked the first big-budget studio project for Matthew Vaughn, who made his directing debut with the gangster tale "Layer Cake." "X3," with a cast that includes Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry, is scheduled to begin production August 2 for release on May 26, 2006. Vaughn is the second director to be involved in the project. Bryan Singer, who directed the first two "X-Men" features, had been expected to direct the third, but when he chose to take on Warner Bros. Pictures' upcoming "Superman Returns," Fox abruptly cut its ties with him. Fox insisted that Vaughn's departure had nothing to do with either creative differences or the pressures of mounting the multimillion-dollar project. Instead, Vaughn, who had planned to commute between the film's Vancouver location and his family in London, said that he'd come to realize that he would have to move to L.A. and Vancouver for a year, and he decided he did not want to uproot his family for an extended period. "We understand Matthew's reasons for leaving, as nothing is more important than family," Fox president Hutch Parker said. "Luckily, we have a fantastic script, the original cast is returning, and there will be some great new characters. We will decide shortly among several directors who are keenly interested in the project and are fully committed to remaining right on schedule." The $7 million "Layer Cake" has grossed $729,488 after 18 days of limited release via Sony Pictures Classics, as well as $8 million overseas. Vaughn also produced Guy Ritchie's crime movies "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" and "Snatch."