1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Another execution delayed

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by burmafrd, Nov 17, 2007.

1. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,920 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
  2. Ben_n_austin

Ben_n_austin Benched

2,898 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Ignorance is bliss, I guess. I helped raise money for Kenneth Foster, a man who Gov. Perry pardoned.

The capital punishment system is far from perfect.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,963 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    it comes back to what the end goal is, burm.

revenge or justtice.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,920 Messages
    1,193 Likes Received
    THEM dead is justice. Why not have them suffer as well? Should not the criminal suffer as he made the victim suffer. I have always thought that the murderer should be executed in the same manner as he killed his victim. Is that not JUST?
    Ignorance is bliss- you are the one without knowledge. You find it so easy to defend garbage like that.
  5. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,600 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    I have to agree with Burm on this one :eek:

I don't see how the Eighth Amendment prevents punishment that imposes even the slightest amount of pain. We're questioning whether lethal injection is too painful?? Give me a break.

They're not considering whether he indeed committed the crime. The revenge/justice angle isn't really the concern according to this article.

Execution by lethal injection would be a favor to this guy, from the sounds of the way he murdered his victim.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Yeah. Stupid liberal Supreme Court.
  7. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The death penalty is wrong on so many levels, I find it difficult to believe that anyone still supports it. It's simply a way for politicians to show the simple minded how tough they are on crime.

It's been estimated that a prisoner could be kept in maximum security for between 100 and 300 years for the cost of one "death penalty" and it has been shown that application of the death penalty does not serve as a deterent to future murders.
  8. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

24,845 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    I'm with you 100% on this - it is simply a barbaric "eye for an eye" mentality.

Look around -- what other nations do this? For the most part, the one's we see as backwards.
  9. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I could give a rat's what other nations do or don't do. Why care about inferiors?

I believe in the sanctity of life, be it the an unborn child or convicted murderer.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,513 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    If the death penalty costs that much, we should start doing it the old fashioned way.

[IMG]

Then just feed the remains to some dogs. No hassle and you don't have to pay anyone to bury or incinerate them.

You may not believe in the death penalty, but I wonder how you'd feel if someone killed someone dear to you.

Over 3 years ago someone murdered my 19 year old nephew. You better believe I want whoever did it to not only die, but to suffer as long as possible before he passes.
  11. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with you in theory Rack, but when it comes to actually implementing it, I disagree.

When you have humans, who are imperfect putting other humans to death, there is always going to be some controversy.

A couple of years ago I was on a Capital Murder Trial jury for 1 week and a day. The defendant was accused of killing his best friend and his best friend's dad. Now, his life was never at risk because the judge and the lawyers had already made a deal that if we convicted him, he would just get life in prison.

Now, to make a long story short, after the trial was over, the Judge and both lawyers came to the deliberation room to field questions from us and we were all AMAZED on the amount of evidence that was never allowed to enter into the court of law because of legal technicalities. Luckily, the aforementioned evidence that was not admissible in court (Wife's testimony that in fact the defendant was guilty (I don't know about other states but significant others don't have to testify against their wife/husband), our trial was the 2nd trial, friends of the defendant issuing death threats etc etc) further implicated the defendant, but I would have been absolutely crushed if that evidence would have cast any doubt in my mind.

The legal system is just not perfect enough for me to get behind the Death Penalty. I would have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt to send someone to death and I don't think the Legal System could ever deliver 100% certainty.

And of course you have that Law of Parties legislation that Texas has and I kind of disagree with it as well.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,704 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    I am a fan of the death penalty.
    The key is using it in cases where there is hard and fast evidence but it isn't like there is any lack of those.

I went to high school with someone who got the death penalty. He was a pure scum bucket. He robbed a fast food place and killed the manager for really no reason. His cohort scum buckets were even shocked.

He told the judge "you better kill me because if I get out I am going to kill you". A decade later he was on HBO crying over the poor treatment of death row inmates... hahahaha. Judge 1 idiot 0.

There has to be a vicious penalty for cold-blooded murder and 'free room and board with young men to be sexually assaulted' just doesn't do it for me. I like the death option.

The electric chair is pretty cool, but I think lethal injection is the most humane way to kill the inhumane bastids.
  13. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,961 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    I agree with JT on this, people have to be held responsible for their own actions.
  14. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,600 Messages
    337 Likes Received
    Stan do you have a link to this info?
  15. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,704 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    If they offered pay per view to the execution we could easily cover the costs:)