1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Another QB Thread--(But Non-Henson)...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CaptainAmerica, Aug 25, 2005.

1. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    ...just got this week's SI and they have a big article on Carolina and their hunger to get back to the big dance. (BTW, I think they are Philly's biggest competition. They had a lot of tough luck last year.)

Anyway, in the article they are talking with Delhomme and he acknowledged he formed a very good bond with Parcells during his FA courting time, based on their mutual love of thoroughbred racing. But he said, that as a career 3rd stringer, and not knowing if he would ever sign another contract, $$ played the biggest part in his decision that ultimately led him to sign with Carolina.

According to the article Carolina offered him 2 years, $4 million and Dallas offered him 2 years, $3.2 million.

I know there are mixed opinions on Delhomme, but I think the guy has something to him. We talk a lot about whether Romo has "moxie", but Delhomme is a guy that I do think has genuine "moxie".
    He can be a little erratic at times, but from the first time I watched him tear us up in that Christmas Eve game against New Orleans, he's intrigued me.

Say what you will about him, he's much better than anything we've had on the roster in a long time and his performance in the 2nd half of the Super Bowl against the Pats and the all-mighty Belichik defense was pretty special.

I just think about all the $$ we've thrown away on players over the years, then it comes to the most important position on the field and we decide to pinch pennies. :(
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    I wished you hadn't posted that. I think Delhomme is a real good young QB. To think that we lost him over 800K for two years makes me ill.
  3. CaptainAmerica

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I'm sorry I just had to share this feeling... :ralph: with all my Cowboy brethren. :D
  4. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Jake, but his development in Carolina under Coach Dan Henning is something I doubt would have been paralleled here.

Henning is amazing. Got the best year out of Vinnie Testaverde's life, and even turned Ray Lucas into a semblance of a QB....elewhere Lucas flat out flopped. Jake walked into a great situation, with an OC who takes you step by step, week by week, to bigger and better things. Dan's careful but increasingly complex week to week integration of a QB's game with the playbook is what Tuna prolly had in mind when he wanted Jake..and of course, we know Dan was Bill's first choice as OC.

No disrespect to Sean, but in NY, Jim Fasell was the QB developer who got credit for turning Collins around, not Sean.

I just doubt we'd have gotten as much out of Delhomme's readiness to fly.
  5. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like him too, I just think he really needed Muhammad and Smith more than they needed him. When that receiving tandem blew up (along with Jenkins), so did Carolina's production.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received

I have to say I like Delhomme and he has done a very good job in the Panthers system and totally agree the job he did in the Super Bowl was fun to watch. He really came on that year once the playoffs started and kept the hot hand all the way to through the SB
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The fact that we're paying Henson more than we would have paid Delhomme in that original contract is galling.
  8. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,965 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    You guys remember that "JaketoDallas" guy who posted here ?
  9. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,235 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Despite the Christmas beating Delhomme gave us, I never thought he would amount to much. Boy, was I wrong. He'd be looking pretty good playing for us about now. Sometimes you just never know with QBs. Good for Carolina. If we can't take out Philly this year may they be the ones to do it.
  10. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,519 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I wasn't ready to prop Delhomme after 1 good year but he certainly now deserves his due.

Yes, I wish he were here.
  11. CaptainAmerica

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Yes, I know what you mean, but I live in an area that gets the New Orleans broadcasts and had heard that he was a guy that always seemed to produce when given the chance. He sure hasn't flopped now that he's been given his first really big chance at the job.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,199 Messages
    1,329 Likes Received
    What I would like to know is who got their offer in first US or the Panthers?
    Did they raise on us or did we lowball?
  13. CaptainAmerica

5,015 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That is a good question. Not that it matters now,though.
  14. Billy Bullocks

Billy Bullocks Active Member

4,075 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I find it ridiculous that people are always talking about the Cowboys mistake of not signing him. We courted him, and so did like 3 other teams. He HAD NOT DONE ANYTHING to that point in the league..Carolina took a big risk on him..I would too if I had Rodney Peete and bum armed Chris Weinke. We were still workin on Q. Carter.
  15. 2much2soon

2much2soon Active Member

2,435 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    If he had come here, and thrown 2 or 3 bad passes, BP would of never trusted him again.
  16. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Neither had Henson, but HE got paid.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    Actually he was at DMN and I have often thought he had every right to PM me and say :tongue:

I gave that guy grief non stop.
  18. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received

If Parcells wasn't so old and single-jointed, I bet he'd like to kick himself in his own ace for that one ...
  19. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

I'll be stealing that one.
  20. Banned_n_austin

Banned_n_austin Benched

5,834 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I'll take it you agree here ...