1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Ansah Over O-Line

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by IAmLegend, Jan 30, 2013.

1. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,988 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    After his monster showing at the Senior Bowl, I think Ezekiel Ansah is going to rise up draft boards and end up being drafted somewhere in the 12-18 range. Remember, Jason Pierre-Paul, who scouts are comparing Ansah to, went 15th overall. If Ansah does slip to us #18 though, I think we take him. I'm convinced Jerry won't be drafting O-Line in the 1st this year no matter what. Jerry also loves pass rushers and he knows this kid has the potential to be a monster.

So, assuming Jerry neglects O-Line with our 1st pick yet again, if Ansah is there at 18, would you rather take him or best DT available? Or maybe best S available? Personally, I think it comes down to Ansah and Sheldon Richardson.

Here's Ansah's 2012 highlight reel:
    [youtube]WMtBmOdYsqo[/youtube]
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,851 Messages
    417 Likes Received
    I wont be mad with a pass rusher in the first round. I think that's the route we are going to take. As long as we upgrade any of the trenches I will be pleased. I think we still draft O-Line somewhat early. Maybe rounds 2 or 3.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    as has been discussed before in threads about Ansah, he is a boom or bust guy. Gonna be one or the other
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    I think regardless if Ziggy is still on the boards at #18 or not, Cowboys will go DL. I don't see JJ drafting a guard in the 1st round. I think our 1st and 2nd round picks will be on defense.

Does anyone know if the Cowboys talked to Ziggy at the SR bowl? Or Short.
  5. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

216 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I think a pass rusher in the 1st would be ideal. In fact, a safety in the second, then choose two Olineman within the last 4 picks. Remember, Jerry has openly praised the Offense and criticized the D. I don't think that he thinks there is any problem with the Oline.
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,243 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Sharrif Floyd!!!!!

Get on board
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    Ansah is going to be that guy that it will probably take the full 3 years to eventually get quality play from.

He'll be labled a bust pretty quickly by fans, and even though he may bust, he may also just need a lot of time to produce at this level.
  8. DBOY3141

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    And there's the problem. We can't keep spending 4th and later picks on OL, gotta start using 1st and 2nd's.

I know we need some DL help, but not as much as OL.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't address the oline at all. Jerry does not value the oline. I don't think he ever will. The only way to get his attention is for the fanbase to quit spending money. Even then, he will go with the flashy moves to get hopes up.
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    We'll always be able to find better value than a guard in the 1st or 2nd round but at some point we just need to pull the trigger and say screw value and just take some quality linemen.
  11. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Anash is very over rated right now. IMO, to each their own. Of course he looks great in a highlight film but he disappears a lot in games and makes splashes and is very raw. I think some of these senior bowl risers will fall back down after the underclassman preform at the combine.
  12. DBOY3141

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    We haven't so far. Lots of folks talk about SF line, they have 3 1st rounders with one being a guard.

Free
    Arkin
    Brewster
    Marten
    Nagy

and so on. None have worked.

We need to bite the bullet and draft Cooper in the 1st and Barrett Jones in the 2nd.

Smith/Cooper/Jones/Livings/Parnell - would be the start of a very good O-Line for years to come. Great defenses no longer exist in the NFL. You have to have an offense that can put up 24-28 points every week, and that starts up front.

Our DL will be good enough as is to compete next year. Use our 3rd pick on defense and pick up a servicable FA DL.
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received

You're right and I should've worded that better.

I meant that we'll always find a position that seems like it has more value than a guard or Center in the first couple of rounds.

I like the Offensive Tackle from Oklahoma.

I was watching OU earlier in the year and I was like WHO is this guy.. He stands out bigtime and supposedly the guy went there as a QB and got converted to Offensive Tackle.

He has serious upside imo.
  14. DBOY3141

3,161 Messages
    438 Likes Received
    Lane Johnson.

I've seen different mocks on him from going top 15 to top of the 2nd. He would make a really good tackle.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,839 Messages
    3,568 Likes Received
    Lane Johnson was a High School QB.
    2008: JUCO where he played QB and TE.
    2009: Redshirt
    2010: Played TE and DE.
    2011: Started 12 of 13 games at RT.
    2012: Started 11 of 13 games at LT.

His upside might be better than Joeckel's. If Joeckel is forced to play without holding, then Johnson might be straight up better right now.
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,505 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    I wonder what was said about Ware on this site before he is drafted.I know he had better stats @Troy and i am definitely not comparing Ansah to Ware.
  17. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,007 Messages
    1,029 Likes Received
    I dont see that at all. His biggest weakness right now is getting off blocks if he loses initially. His biggest strength is persuit. I do think they would draft him if he is there. Probably works out great at the combine and is gone by 18 anyway.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Jerruh and his shiny toys
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,235 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    Yeah i'd like to get this guy on the team somehow. We need an interior guy RIGHT NOW but an offensive tackle looks like an eventual need as well.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,367 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    Well, I know a lot of people love Ansuh. I just don't love him as much. I really like Werner. I don't see any way he will be around for us but I do like the guy.