1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Barr would play RDE in Dallas

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 15, 2014.

1. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,906 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    Maybe. Jeffcoat had the best combine of them all.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,285 Messages
    4,824 Likes Received
    The probability is near zero that both would be available.
  3. xwalker

12,285 Messages
    4,824 Likes Received
    Selvie had 7 sacks last year. I think Mincey 11 a couple of years ago.
    brooksey1 likes this.
  4. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,383 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    He has elite speed and a great work ethic. He had 13 sacks this year. If we miss in the first two rds at DE and he's there in the 3rd, he's a Cowboy.

The bloodlines are a positive, dad has been to the NFL before, especially in Dallas and the transition should be easier.
    Gaede likes this.
  5. brooksey1

1,383 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    After Clowney, Barr has the best combination of size and speed. He's a blue chipper.

With Melton on board, this might make the most sense.
    waving monkey likes this.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Mincey had 8 2 years ago but has 12 over the other 5 years of his career. Or in other words, he's not a pass rush threat at all. Our DE's are borderline pathetic no matter how you spin it. Hopefully 2 rookies who are quick edge rushers can rectify that situation at least a little
  7. brooksey1

1,383 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    Selvie played very good football, I wouldn't call him borderline pathetic however, the rest of the D-Line was totally pathetic besides Hatcher (injuries played a part) and the linebacking was pathetic.
  8. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

832 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    Mincey had 8 sacks in 2011.

I don't think going into the season with Selvie as our best DE is a good idea. I think he and Mincey are solid depth, but I don't want them to be starters.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Selvie got off to a pretty good start last year and then had 1 sack the last 7 games. I'm not discounting him as nothing, but boasting that he's our best DE more or less proves that the DE position is indeed pathetic for us right now. Between Selvie, Mincey, and some snaps from Crawford I think can put together a pretty good platoon situation at SDE, but we don't have a single pass rusher to play opposite from them right now. That needs to change or the d line isn't going to be any better than it was last year.
    Nirvana likes this.
  10. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    The platoon system tends to work better with interior players. I can't think of many good defenses that did not have at least one every down bell cow rusher.
  11. brooksey1

1,383 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    We need a pass rusher on the right side, agreed. Anthony Barr at 6'5 260 with sub 4.5 speed is the guy, IMO. There are a half dozen others in rd 2-3 but they are either undersized or lack straight line speed.
  12. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,930 Messages
    1,050 Likes Received
    The Cowboys did a good job with the loss of Hatcher in signing Melton but the Mincey signing did nothing "to replace Ware." The draft has a bunch of projects "to replace Ware." Selvie's flame may have faded and yet he has been projected "to replace Ware."

The club made a "Moneyball" type decision in deciding not to restructure/pay Ware. But it failed to properly gauge the market (high prices) for FA DEs or gauge the lack of outstanding DE prospects in this draft. Losing Ware has cost us any chance at a top pass rush this season. I don't think it was a wise move.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,474 Messages
    6,182 Likes Received
    I don't think either of those things had much to do with anything. We didn't seriously try to replace Ware with a VFA, and we're a far cry from deciding we can't get an edge rusher early in the draft.

Ware was cut because he was too expensive for his production. And that caught us by surprise because it happened fairly quickly.
  14. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,930 Messages
    1,050 Likes Received
    None of the edge rushers in this draft as a 4-3 WDE will have a great first year other than Clowney. They all need to bulk up and get stronger.

I just think this is one more example of poor planning by the organization. We are caught with our pants down once again and will have to pay for it with another mediocre year. Meanwhile, I bet Ware has a great year.
  15. xwalker

12,285 Messages
    4,824 Likes Received
    Thanks. I couldn't remember the exact number.

Obviously, upgrades are needed at DE; however, the real goal this season should be to build the defense. Maybe things work out and the Win/Loss record is good or maybe not; however, they need to build up the defense and they need steady play and stability at several positions in order to implement this defense. It was impossible to implement a new defense last season because it was chaos with a large number of veterans and top backups out for the season or injured and in and out of the lineup. Having 17+ DL blew any chance of stability. Even if some of the those players had turned out to have talent, the fact that so many players were not in training camp and/or playing out of position (Holloman, Durant at MLB, etc..) just caused chaos.

If Selvie, Mincey, Crawford and a draft pick are the DEs and they stay healthy, then I think that will be good enough for the defense to function.

I'm probably not doing a good job of putting it into words, but stability is really important, especially this season as they try to really get everybody in sync with Marinelli's defense. They need OK veterans and then add draft picks to increase the talent, but they can have a draft picks at any position. Even the best draft picks are still rookies.
  16. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,023 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    If the team goes 6-10 because the defense is ranked 28th will Rod Marinelli be the defensive coordinator in 2015?
  17. xwalker

12,285 Messages
    4,824 Likes Received
    I expect Selvie to move to the right side with Crawford and Mincey on the left. In most defenses and especially in Marineiil's, the RDE should be getting the most sacks. They scheme it that way. Ware rarely ever had edge contain responsibility against the run last year. He either crashed down inside or rushed up-field immediately. He had more run contain responsibility in RR's defense than he did in the Kiffin/Marinelli defense. The LDE on the other hand usually had to play run contain and only rush when it was determined to be a pass. The fact that Selvie got 7 sacks for that side is much more impressive than if Ware had gotten 7 from the Right side. The Right side was also lined up next to the 3-tech DT (under tackle in the 4-3 under). This is also expected to help the RDE in pass rushing.

I expect Selvie or possibly Mincey to be the base RDE with a draft pick coming in as a nickel pass rusher. There's a chance that one of the other guys on the roster like Martez Wilson could develop as a nickel pass rusher also.

Looking at Selvie, Mincey and Crawford it seems obvious that the Cowboys really need a super quick RDE and not a guy like Ealy.
    starfrombirth and Idgit like this.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,132 Messages
    2,772 Likes Received
    Agreed. Ealy doesn't knock my socks off.
  19. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,909 Messages
    699 Likes Received
    Ware had 8 sacks his rookie season along with 47 tackles and 11 assit. Thats damn good rookie season. However I cant see why Barr cant cause
    a lot of problems in the back field his rookie season. Your idea that Ware's release was poor planning isn't my view at all. Ware had to go
    Good teams make these kind of moves all the time. Teams like the "old" Cowboys hung on to their players past their production period.

I think and hope Ware has a good remaining year but my guess is he'll have a terrific first half and then his body will start breaking down.

And as a side note this thread has kind of converted me toward Barr and not as much Donald.
    Idgit likes this.
  20. xwalker

12,285 Messages
    4,824 Likes Received
    It will be based on how they play, not the win/loss record.

If the defense looks like everybody knows what they're doing and the defensive play calls and scheme appear to be maximizing the talent, then Yes, Marinelli will return.

If it looks like it did in some of the Wade years where the team appears to have enough talent but they are not playing up to their talent, then the coaches will be in trouble.

I'm fairly certain than once the front office decided to part with Ware and not re-sign Hatcher that they are aware that the talent is going to be thin this season. The fact that they didn't restructure some contracts like Carr is also a possible indicator that they aren't sold on some of the current players. I believe that the front office will be looking to improve the stability of the team going into 2015, and they will not want to scrap their schemes and coaching staff and start over.