1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Dorsett Jr is upset with Cowboys issuing #33 to players

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 4, 2014.

1. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

578 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    If Jerry is not giving out 22 because Emmitt is a all time great, then he shouldn't give out 33 either because Dorsett was great as well. I would take Dorsett over Emmitt personally, Dorsett was a Superstar in the 70's while I always thought Emmitt was playing in Barry Sanders shadow in the 90's.

Barry was on pace to break Walter Payton's record way before Emmitt did.
    rcaldw likes this.
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

22,041 Messages
    1,762 Likes Received
    Do we know he hasn't done that?
  3. dguinta1

dguinta1 Active Member

858 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    TD was my fav. growing up and when first saw guys wearing it I was like, what the? Agree 33 should have been for a potential stand out.
  4. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

13,683 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    I guess the cowboys should first check with TD anytime they do anything.

Shuddup Tony and enjoy your retirement.
  5. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,913 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    Tony..the Cowboy..hasn't said a word has he? Am I missing something he said?
  6. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,602 Messages
    1,257 Likes Received
    C'mon, Emmitt beat him by almost 6000yds and 87 TDs. That's a pretty good career in itself.

Dallas has the Ring of Honor, but numbers shouldn't be retired. There are too many players and the rules dictate certain positions have to wear certain numbers.
  7. GimmeTheBall!

13,683 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    You half two questions.
    1. Yes, he say many words ever day.
    2. You are always missing something. Have you not noticed the pattern?
    3. Holla
  8. GimmeTheBall!

13,683 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Social media needs you.
  9. BoysFan4ever

6,913 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    Yes I "half" 2 questions.
  10. GimmeTheBall!

13,683 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    I apreciate the industry, cleverness and, yes, futility, in putting quote marks around a perfectly good word. I am all atwitter with your inventiveness. I bet in personal conversations you raise boff hands and indicate "quote marks" with yo fingers.
    Tsk-tsk.

But enough about your genus. How about them Cowboys?
  11. BoysFan4ever

6,913 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    It's against the law in Georgia to be atwitter.
    ScipioCowboy likes this.
  12. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,524 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    I have always thought it was sillyvto retireva number. Put them in the ROH. That is a tribute. When it comes down to it, the player is special, not the number.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,105 Messages
    4,849 Likes Received
    Dallas tradition has been we don't retire numbers been that way since Tom and Tex, so before some go bust Jerry chops over it all he is doing is maintaining a tradition
  14. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

9,116 Messages
    3,625 Likes Received
    I remember from the "Ask Tex" section of the old Dallas Cowboys Weekly, Schramm always getting the question and always responding the same way -- "The Cowboys do not retire numbers."
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  15. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,105 Messages
    4,849 Likes Received
    Pretty simple. The organization even this one has done a pretty good job of keeping certain numbers out of service
  16. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,372 Messages
    1,426 Likes Received
    Minus Antonio "Jersey-Toss" Bryant. I'm pretty dang partial to #33 as well. Honestly, I was thinking Anthony was an idiot for saying that. But when you think about it, Tony Dorsett was transcendent. His number should be retired. #33 is an unbelievable number for Dallas Cowboys fans. Or at least, if someone really special, like the uniqueness of Dez comes around, then give up the number to someone who might wear it and re-establish it. T.D. is a hero when you talk about the Dallas Cowboys!!! Love that dude, even if his former D-1 team was Pitt.
    tantrix1969, mrmojo and Air Force One like this.
  17. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,785 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Numbers shouldn't be retired. If we retired numbers why not start with Bob Lilly's 74 who is probably the greatest Cowboy ever? Or Randy White's 54. Or Lee Roy Jordan's 55. 88 should never be worn again either. We can go on but we would run out of usable numbers if we were to do this. I'm not against someone wearing number 12 or 8 again at QB. Nor another player wearing 22 again. It's just a number...
    bkight13 and Muhast like this.
  18. GimmeTheBall!

13,683 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Though to that great state's credit, it is OK to say "I'm as full as a tick," "I'll whup you so bad you'll hollar 'ya'll stop' and it'll be just me" and mein favorite, "Man, with those buck teeth she could eat an ear of corn through a picket fence."
    I love the gothic South exceptin for them govt. people who act all high and mighty in their Chevy Fusions.
    Pls to not feel compelled to reply or to holla. I know you are busy at the swap meet.
  19. BoysFan4ever

6,913 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    It does make sense to not retire a player's number I suppose as a necessity for camps or practices but it's just got to be an exceptional honor from teams to their players. The highest honor I would think.

I had not thought about needing the number for training camp.

Anyway until Tony himself says something this seems to just be his son speaking out regarding something he obviously feels passionate about.
  20. DWhite Fan

DWhite Fan It ain't over 'til it's over

5,657 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Just my opinion, but it will be a cold day in hell before you see another QB for the Cowboys wearing either #8 or #12 in the regular season...as to those numbers being worn in pre-season, not a big deal...

I don't think numbers should be retired period. Would Roger Staubach have been any less of a player if he head worn #13? Or Aikman if he wore #2? I remember the player more for what he did than what number he wore...