1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Hitchens LB

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Aliencowboy, May 10, 2014.

1. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Hey BPA, no wait. Huge impact player, no wait.
    Potential difference maker, no wait.

Hey it's the 4th round we are so good and deep let's just
    draft a back LB because remember in the season when we
    had to take a guy off the street because S. Lee is made of glass. Now,
    we don't have to...whew! Load off me mind. Oh, and to boot they reached for him!

Champions make a living in rounds 4-7. Dallas drafts backups and ST.
    How bout them Cowboys!
    jnday and CowboyFan74 like this.
  2. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    Has led Iowa the last 2 years, sounds like our back up MLB, caught everybody by surprise but in Willy McClay doing his thing I trust ;)
    AmishCowboy and Irvin88_4life like this.
  3. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

874 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    If this guy comes in and helps our defense then who cares what round he is drafted. This guy has a knack for timely big plays, so let's see what he can do first before saying he sucks. I believe in Marinelli and Will
    AmishCowboy likes this.
  4. Irvin88_4life

874 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    He also played RB and safety
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  5. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    I love your optimism. IDK. I just watched what little video there is. Looks like a backup MLB. Maybe they do switch SLee outside and put this guy inside. If he starts, this year and they make that move at least it would appear glossy. I would laud it if they took the guy in the 7th.
  6. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    They really like him, Marinelli told him he's looking forward too seeing him and become a great Defense cause he runs good and hits. Linebacker coach is on 105.3 the fan, http://streema.com/radios/The_Fan_KRLD_FM
    Irvin88_4life likes this.
  7. vicjagger

vicjagger Well-Known Member

2,100 Messages
    41 Likes Received
  8. Irvin88_4life

874 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    I like this pick would like Telvin smith better but I'm not a scout or DC
  9. Irvin88_4life

874 Messages
    439 Likes Received
  10. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,384 Messages
    4,945 Likes Received
    People get worked up when players are not drafted according the media's rankings.

The media does not put much effort into the analysis of mid to late round picks unless they are a recognizable name.
  11. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,569 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    he was a part of a well coached defensive unit, but he never stood out to me as someone that was going on to the next level. I sure hope I just have no idea what to look for in developmental talent.
  12. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,872 Messages
    2,339 Likes Received
    Just a quick look at the guys positives will tell you exactly why the Cowboys took him:

"Possessing a compact, athletic frame, Hitchens displays an explosive first step, good balance through contact and agility to redirect quickly in space. Highly physical defender who delivers a pop on contact to fight off blockers, as well as good lateral agility to avoid them. He's also a good fundamental tackler and an effective blitzer who exploits creases in the line and closes quickly in space."

He is exactly the type of LB needed for Marinelli's system.

And speaking for myself, he has some of the traits that I want to get on the defense, like being highly physical and tough.

I don't know how anyone can be upset about taking this guy in the 4th round... unless you just get so caught up in where some mock draft guy at a computer thought he would be drafted.
    WoodysGirl, CIWhitefish and Fletch like this.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    When he could have been picked up later, it was stupid to draft him at this point. It is a matter of getting the most value at every pick.
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  14. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    No, at the end of the day, it's all about getting guys that can play and help your team win games. I see what you're saying, and I don't really know why we took a guy in the 4th that could have likely been taken a lot later, but just going by where guys are ranked on a board doesn't ensure anything one way or the other. You could reach for guys who turn out to be great, or you could take guys where they're ranked or later than they're ranked, and they end up being bums. Getting good "value" during the draft is nice, but it doesn't necessarily amount to anything.

I mean, Seattle took Sherman in the 5th round, but at the same time, took James Carpenter in the 1st. If in the end, you put together a winning team, it really doesn't matter.
    jjktkk, Fletch and Irvin88_4life like this.
  15. Irvin88_4life

874 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    You have no idea if he is there or not. Your going by your value or ones experts say. Each team had different view on players cause they have resources we can't see
    Wolf2k5 and Fletch like this.
  16. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Seattle was set to take him, 9ers liked him too.
  17. Picksix

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    One of the givens every year in the draft, is that once you get to mid rounds, you'll see many "Mel's Best Available" still popping up on the screen for at least a round or two.
    Wolf2k5 likes this.
  18. Picksix

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Well, that supports the pick if true. How'd you come across that info?
  19. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,220 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    Twitter. Common sense posted it in the day 3 thread
    Picksix and Irvin88_4life like this.
  20. Irvin88_4life

874 Messages
    439 Likes Received
    Didn't matter what Mel saids you have no idea neither does he about what teams have as best player available. Fred was picked 2 rounds to early guess we should have listened to Mel