1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Spencer has been lights out lately

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by lane, Nov 22, 2012.

1. lane

lane The Chairman

10,390 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    i've been kind of negative on spencer in the past.

did not really feel he was doing what he was brought here to do which was be a pass rusher .

but here the past few weeks he has been an absolute beast rushing the passer and stopping the run.

i want him to turn rg3's lights out manana
  2. ak47kaehu

ak47kaehu Active Member

289 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Yes hes killin it against both the run and pass! He's also developing a knack for making big clutch plays!
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,381 Messages
    1,376 Likes Received
    He has been playing well, but is he playing for that next contract? Do the Cowboys risk signing him to another 3-4 year deal? IDK, part of me wants him to stay, the other part wants them to draft his replacement.
  4. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,888 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    He's in a contract year, he has extra incentive to make plays. Some team will look at his production this season and offer him way too much money, and he'll end up walking. which is why we need to draft a DE/OLB in the draft or sign one in FA.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,867 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    he was in a contract year last year. while the coaches are likely pleased with his production the last few weeks, I'm pretty sure they were happy with what he brought to the table last year. Only this fan base believes it's a given we can upgrade his spot.
  6. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    5 yr 30m. Get it done Jerruh.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,415 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Last year was a contract year too. Hence why he got Tagged.
  8. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,674 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    Spencer isn't playing that much better then he has for years now, but when people look at his stats at the end of the season they'll cry about sacks again. Watch him play and you see why he got tagged, he's good at what he does, really good
  9. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Tag him again.
  10. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    He was in a contract year last year too and didnt produce this way, I think it just clicked. I wouldn't mind drafting a top player if we can but I don't want a rookie starting on the strong aide. I trust Spencer so I would just franchise him again.

I said last year Spencer deserved a Ahmad Brooks like deal. SF gave him a new deal and Spencer is better. Just saying let Spencer walk and draft his replacement is stupid, who you going to get. I will take Spencer over a not sure thing.
  11. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Two words: contract year

I can see him pulling a Ken Hamlin.
  12. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Last year was a contract year too, I say tag him again if he doesn't want to sign a cap friendly deal. What do you do if he walks.
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,540 Messages
    553 Likes Received
    I believe they'll get him a long term deal this offseason.
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    He probably had a pretty good idea from his agent that the franchise tag was a serious option with him.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,415 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Great post. Agree with every word.
  16. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,902 Messages
    5,528 Likes Received
    The problem is "what he does" isn't good enough. Let's not act like this defense has been stellar in the past. We've been an extremely one dimensional pass rushing team. Block Ware and the Cowboys have nobody to pressure the QB.

The thought of handing him a long term extension as he plays into his 30's and either expect more or accept the same is troubling to me.
  17. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I'm tired of the guys who only get sacks getting all the press and praise. we have two outside backers who are all around, three down players. I just wish we could use the roster spots we save by not having extra situational guys to fill a few other holes.
  18. egn22

egn22 Active Member

815 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    Id like to see him here long term. I like what he brings. let's focus on our most critical areas of need instead of creating more
  19. ykc

ykc Active Member

579 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    He will be 29 in Jan, so a 4-5 deal where he can be cut in the last 2 years if his productivity drops should be ideal. I doubt it happens though, some team that is desperate and thinks it is closer to SB will sign him for very lucrative contract that we cannot match. we should already have a replacement for him on the team, but we do not. We drafter 3 lb's in Wades first year but none of them panned out. Our only hope is that Wilber develops or we luckily hit on OLB in next draft
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,152 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    we cannot afford the cap hit of either franchizing him again or giving him a long term deal.

Either one would be too expensive.

Simple as that.

With all the work that needs to be done on the O line we cannot afford to put that much money into a player that is not worth that much money