1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Anthony Spencer willing to play DE

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,685 Messages
    1,133 Likes Received
    GB makes more sense to me.
  2. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,427 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    If that was the case, then it's surprising that Spencer's agent would come out at this time of year (when ONLY the Cowboys can negotiate with him) and immediately state that Spencer could play DE and would be happy to do so.

This may not mean much, but my first reaction to this announcement by Woy is that Spencer would rather stay in Dallas than leave. This also means that he MIGHT be more willing to work a deal that Dallas can swallow.

He'll still get paid, but he might be willing to take less than top dollar inorder to stay here.

Maybe he just likes where he lives and doesn't feel like moving? Sounds that way to me, and thats a good thing for us.
  3. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,480 Messages
    162 Likes Received

Would the Skins have cap room with their big cap penilty ?
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,280 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    you take into consideration who the player is. The top LDE's still command more than OLBs. And with Spencers '12 yr you can bet he's going to be put into that category by his agent. And im sure he'll get soemthing a little lower than what he asks. Its still going to be between 55-60 mil. Thats too much for Dallas
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,893 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    I think the average salary for a 4-3 DE is more than the average for a 3-4 OLB.
  6. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,231 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    No one will want to hear this, but I would expect Spencer to be more effective than Ware at DE in the 4-3. I would love to see what Spencer can do when he's 1-1 with the OT every play.

Ware is a great speed rusher, but I have serious concerns about his ability to hold up to all the contact with 300-330 OTs...the power game has not been his strength, and most effective DEs in his weight range have been stockier.
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,401 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    On the weakside There is not a TE. Now they might pull someone to take him on or send the F-back his waybut he saw plenty of LOT trying to block him.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,280 Messages
    1,229 Likes Received
    Anthony spencer wasnt avg in 2012 tho.

95 tackles 11 sacks 2 ff 1 recovered 3 pass def
  9. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,641 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    And then, maybe the Cowboys were playing him out of position for all these years.
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,584 Likes Received
    Not sure if Spears will be back but I do think he could be a much better player in the 4-3. It will be interesting on how Kiffin evacuates the players currently on defense.
  11. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,222 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    LOL, this thread is funny.

Anthony Spencer IS a defensive end. He was never a linebacker. Same with Demarcus Ware.

This scheme will actually let him play what he played in college.

In fact, Ware and Spencer could be one of the most dynamic DE tandems in the league.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,214 Messages
    1,310 Likes Received
    Anybody who might be thinking that Spencer is going to be better in a 43 then Ware is, well, I guess I just don't see it.

reflexes like Ware has are about once a generation. It doesn't matter what scheme you play him in. He's going to be better then anybody else playing with him. That's just how it works.