1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Spencer

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BTX, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

587 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Nothing against Spencer, but I'd use that money to address other positions on the team.

Someone will probably pay him close to $10 million a season.

I'd rather Dallas went into rebuild mode and use that money to shore up multiple positions.
  2. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Lol he is better than average against the run.. The way he can shed blocks or move blockers to fill holes and get to the ball carrier is very valuable.. Go watch some film sir before you spout off
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,296 Messages
    293 Likes Received
    We could just franchise him again
  4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,471 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    Its important you get a pass rusher this offseason and if you can find one at DE then i'd re-sign Spencer. Actually i'd re-sign Spencer regardless. He's having a good season.
  5. BruceLee5450

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    If that is the case, you have to move on..I am not sure what the cap room situation is like.. I'd hope the Cowboys could get him to come back for something reasonable
  6. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,591 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    I've seen Spencer lose containment on the edge far too many times to call him better than average against the run.
  7. BruceLee5450

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    example of this?
  8. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,591 Messages
    1,400 Likes Received
    I'm not going to post an example of something that has been a common complaint on these very boards for as long as I've been here. I mean what do you want me to say? Last year against the Giants Spencer lost the edge and allowed a td? It's isolated plays throughout the game
  9. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree 100%.
  10. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,070 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Who are you going to get without spending 1st and/or big time money?

You should be able to win games with him and we've much more pressing needs at OL, Safety and WR (maybe even DL).
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,571 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    We do not have the cap space to waste it on a above average player.

He will be looking for 7 million or so a year.

NO WAY.
  12. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    Aren't the strongside LB's primary responsibilities to stop the run and cover the TE? So once the ball is snapped he's basically hovering close behind the line unless he specifically is assigned to go in on a blitz, right? Plus he's always going to be facing an extra blocker on his side with that TE lined up opposite him. Not sure then how you can expect a ton of pressure from the SAM unless you send him in on the blitz a lot. I mean, Ahmad Brooks only has 4 sacks so far. Woodley only has 3.
  13. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I'm good with re-signing for a reasonable price. They do need to add pass rushers in the offseason however--BADLY.
  14. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,291 Messages
    648 Likes Received
    Sure, for the right price

It seems to me that nearly every time we lose there are regular complaints about the pass rush. I personally don't get it, because I saw Matt Ryan rushed on many of his throws. We were getting pressure from The line and he was checking down regularly. The problem with that game was more tackling and safeties than pressure. Sensabaugh had an awful night.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,805 Messages
    768 Likes Received
    I like Spencer. I think we should resign him.

He does things that aren't flashy, but he's reliable and has a very important role on this team

Good teams always have players like Spencer that don't make the headlines.
  16. burmafrd

41,571 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    but not at the price he will demand
  17. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Exactly, somewhere I read he was only sacked like 3 times through 7 weeks.... we got 3 that night alone.
  18. burmafrd

41,571 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    I believe last year he only rushed the passer about 15% less than ware did.

This idea that he is in coverage half the time is bogus.
  19. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Thing is you cant compare to ware. Hes a once in a decade talent.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,066 Messages
    1,078 Likes Received
    I would like to look elsewhere. He's simply not worth the franchise tag type money we are paying him. We need somebody who can consistently get to the QB from the other side of Ware. Not only that, if Ware gets hurt we are screwed.

I think between Ratliff and Hatcher, we tend to get a good game pressuring the QB from one of them. And from what I've seen, the defense is usually better when both Ware and Spencer are on their A Game than when Ware and one of the D-Linemen are on their A Game.

Of course, this could be easier if we ever decided to work to stockpile draft picks again.

YR