1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anthony Spencer

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BTX, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,012 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    An example of that?

Just watch the games, it's occurred multiple times. Ware needs more help getting after the qb. I'm not in the group that labels Spencer as a JAG but we need a much better pass rusher opposite Ware and strengthen the trenches.
  2. lane

lane The Chairman

11,020 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    ellis easily

but his whining got old.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,652 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    Negative. Cheeseburger for the price of filet and lobster.
  4. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,685 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    There are greater draft needs on this team than drafting a replacement for a decent player who is pretty dependable.
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    If the team drafted Moore, which I would love, I suspect it would be to take Spencer's place.
  6. TVMan

TVMan Active Member

798 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Ware and Spencer have 12 combined sacks thus far. The only "34" with more is Arizona with 15 by three players. So...?

Spencer does his job in Ryan's scheme quite well. We've already seen what happened when he was out.

[IMG]
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,621 Messages
    5,533 Likes Received
    On the other hand, we could draft his replacement and spend the money on a quality OL in free agency. Either way you look at it you have to make up your mind which direction you want to go when free agency starts.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,822 Messages
    1,679 Likes Received
    Cap space will be at a premium the next few years since all signs show it will not be going up much if at all.

We cannot afford Spencer. Simple as that.
  9. D29Murray

D29Murray New Member

378 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    For those interested in PFF numbers for 3-4 OLBs.

3rd ranked in the league +9.0 ... Better than Ware (5th, +7.7).

178 pass rushing snaps (341 total snaps), generating 15 total pressures (sacks, hits, hurries). So pressuring QBs 11.7% of the time... Good for 5th in the league.

He's only rushing the passer 52% of the time.

The number one rated run stopping OLB... 136 run snaps, 17 tackles, 4 assists, 1 missed tackle, 16 stops with a stop percentage of 11.8% (next best is 9.8%).

4th rated tackler against the pass, 1st rated tackler against the run.

7th best in coverage: 76 snaps, 7 targets, 4 receptions for 38 yards. 15 yards after catch. 1 TD, 0 INTs.
  10. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would draft 2 OLB's and one 3-4 DE with some rush ability in this draft. I say that because when the Cowboys have been successful fixing a need they didn't just stop at adding one guy at a position. In the Ware draft we added him, Spears, KB, Canty, Ratliff in front 7 which was a major upgrade. Then we added Hatcher shortly thereafter. This year we needed CB help so we added top FA and top CB in draft on top of Jenkins/Scandrick. We've used a similar approach at RB as well.
  11. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,212 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Oh...it's this thread again.

Sure, I'd be fine with replacing Spencer...if you can find someone who's better. Thing is, his production isn't all that easy to replace. People think it is, but it's not.

His skill against the run should be, by know, pretty much unquestionable. But go look at all the OLBs in the league who play on the strong side...not the weak side. Of course he's not going to compare favorably with the likes of Ware and Matthews. Compare him to other players playing the strong side.

Right now there are only 2 players who have more sack production than Spencer at LOLB: Justin Houston and Ahmad Brooks...out of 12 teams that run a 3-4 defense.

So again, if you can find someone better, go for it, but it's not as easy as people make it out to be.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I dunno. I think there are more than that. PFF has these guys rushing mostly from the left with more sacks.

Shaun Phillips
    O'Brian Schofield
    Ryan Kerrigan
    Robert Mathis
  13. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I'd be fine bringing Spencer back for the deal Ahmad Brooks got.
  14. Dodger

Dodger Indomitable

4,212 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Uh....yep...that's what happens when I'm in a hurry, though I thought Mathis played on the weak side. Still, all but one, Mathis, has about the same number of sacks as Spencer, maybe a half to one full sack more.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Sure. But if you go down a half to 1 full sack from Spencer then you start including a whole bunch of names on list.
  16. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,031 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    We also need younger. This team needs to really go into rebuild mode. I dont see the players on this roster competing for a lombardi.
  17. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,922 Likes Received
    I think we're already in rebuilding mode and have been for the last two years. :cool:

There's some age on the DL, but this roster is loaded with players that have been in the league less than 5 years.
  18. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    The Cowboys just cant give DWARE type money for an average to occasionally good OLB. Spencer is average at best 80% of the time. If its a cap friendly deal I say lets keep him, and focus on other needs in the draft.

But if Spencer wants to test the market, let him jump. Yet, in the end we all no Jerry will give Spencer some crazy 100mil contract for the good of the franchise.......LOL

Its time for the GM Jerry Jones to make a stand and FIX this pathetic team and FIX it NOW...
  19. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,031 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    youre right, but out of all these young guys which ones are keepers?

On offense besides Smith, who is the future? Murray cant stay healthy, Dez and Miles are just blatantly overrated. Its really not looking good at all.

We can build off the young players we have on defense we just desperately need to improve the line and add depth. Its the offense that is going to likely need to be blown up and started over on. We need to figure out how to pull off another "great train robbery" and stockpile draft picks.
  20. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    This is a lose/lose situation for the Cowboys. If they let him go, then there will likely be some dropoff in talent, which creates a hole. If they pay him, it will cost an arm and a leg to keep a player who won't perform up to the contract it will take to keep him. I think the latter is worse. You go with the lesser of two evils, let him get overpaid, get a comp pick for him (hopefully) and do your best to replace him in the draft or from what you have on the roster.