1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anticipate Tyron Smith & Dez Bryant's next contract

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,812 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Agreed, which is why we'd have to offer him the most money in the history of the NFL for a LT... and I think its a good idea to do so. Imagine what a contract for a player like him would look like in 8 years for now, might be 170m. He'll be a huge discount in 3-4 seasons.
  2. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,629 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    You have to do such a long term deal to spread out the payments. He's going to command the numbers, it is what it is in that regard.

Only way to absorb them is to spread them out. The cap is going to grow in size now and in the future. That's a given.

I do believe Dez will play at this current level for at least 3-4 more years and because his game is not all about elite speed will continue to be a solid top 10 target the 2-3 years after that.

Personality aside, T.O is a perfect example of that production and Dez's game does closely resembles T.Os.

What I do like is that Dez is associating himself with the Jordan brand and has taken a prove it to you first year free endorsement deal to earn the long term deal with the brand.

Dez therefore has more incentive than just his Dallas Cowboys deal on the line.

I believe that plays in our favour regardless of what it takes to sign a young elite WR in today's NFL market.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,923 Messages
    5,573 Likes Received
    I have no problem investing in Dez Bryant long term. He's earned that trust on and off the field.
    Ky31 likes this.
  4. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

803 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Mike Wallace: 5 and 60 with 30 million guaranteed.
    Calvin Johnson 7 and 113.5 with 48.75 guaranteed.

Dez is much much closer to Calvin Johnson than he is to Mike Wallace.

Mike Wallace was paid "free agent" money because he was not franchised and thus his salary could not be reduced due to threat of the franchise tag. Calvin Johnson could not be franchised because of his high base salary on his rookie contract and because of cap concerns for the lions, so he was also paid "free agent" money.

Dez will face the threat of the franchise tag (as of now, 12.31 for 1 year, 14.76 the next year, 17.71 the next year). That puts his per year average at about $15 mil per year for the first 3 years. The contract likely won't be for more per year, because even if they sign him to a 7 year extension and give more per year accounting for inflation on the back end, he will be age 31, 32, and 33 those final 3 years, and his play will decline at likely similar rates to inflation.

I think 7 and $105, with 45 million guaranteed would be reasonable. If the cowboys make the case that his behavior is a concern, those guarantees could very well drop to as low as 30 million.

Tyron Smith will be the highest paid left tackle in the league when he signs. There isn't really any question, given his age and skill level, pending injury or decline the next 2 years. Joe Thomas signed an 8 year $92 million dollar deal (notably, he also was immune to the franchise tag due to the size of his rookie contract). There will be 4 years of inflation when Tyron Smith signs. We are talking big $$$$$$$$$. I'm not even going to speculate, there aren't any comparable tackles that hit FA sooner (Trent williams was drafted the year before but signed a 6 year rookie deal).
  5. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    Dallas has had a bargain for DBs services so far (his rookie deal). Now it is time to get a nice draft pick for him and move on to another young group of receivers at bargain hits on the all important cap. With 4 or 5 years in now, DB has another 4 or 5 decent years before he is just another Chad Johnson playing in New England. Dallas won't miss anything about DB. Won't miss paying 100 million dollars to a WR. Won't miss his atrocious blocking, dropped passes and fumbles that he led all of the NFL WRs in last year. And especially won't miss his special walking on eggshells around his sorry attitude. He is still an immature player despite his praise by many a Cowboy fan. He still has not shown the ability to grasp multiple route running from different starting spots. Does he not spend time in the film room with the playbook or is he just incapable of learning to a normal level? Thanks and goodbye. Next WR
  6. AKATheRake

3,629 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    The odds of Dallas trading Dez Bryant or just letting him hit FA are nil?

Jerry's going to pay him.

You need a star to sell tickets, merchandise, winning aside.

Dez is Jerry's star.
  7. theSHOW

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    The tickets were guaranteed to be as good as sold when Jerry borrowed municipal funds for the new stadium. You argue that he is Jerry's boy. I am saying we don't need a 100 million wide receiver. No player will ever be bigger than the Cowboys.
  8. Soth

Soth Active Member

335 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I completely disagree with this.

Do you remember that we had a historically bad defense last year? So how were we able to be 8-8? We should have been 3-13 with that defense. The answer is Romo + Dez + Witten + Murray. Even with a horrible defense, we are still able to put up points because of our weapons.

We trade Dez, and we significantly decrease our ability to put up points. We are not that great at drafting, so we could end up picking a bust with the draft pick we receive.
  9. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,573 Likes Received
    When you find special talent, you hold on to it by any means necessary.
  10. theSHOW

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    That's why need to sign Tyron and get rid of DB
  11. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,573 Likes Received
    Dez is one of the top 10 offensive skill position players in the game. He's special. Tyron is also special. Both these guys figure to have their most productive years ahead of them. Why would the Cowboys let that get away? You resign both and make do somewhere else. You do not let go of two young elite talents.
    Ky31 and TheFinisher like this.
  12. theSHOW

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    What you are really saying is you are completely in love with DB. The offense has been rolling before Bryant arrived in Big D. And as long as Romo is at the helm will keep purring. You completely avoid the facts that the cap has a team limit and the positions of need are not a 15 million cap charge per year for a WR. 52 positions on each team...cant do this at WR without signing scrubs on the line.
  13. Soth

Soth Active Member

335 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    What I am saying is that Dez is a difference maker on offense. So many games in the NFL are decided by 3 points or less. This is this the guy you can go to when the game is on the line and you need to make a play.

He is almost automatic in the red zone. How many times when we are inside the 10 does Romo just throw it to the corner to Dez without really checking other options? Sometimes it looks like the corner even gives up because they can't stop it. We don't have any other receivers in our roster that can do this. We would have kicked a ton of field goals instead of TDs without Dez.
  14. AKATheRake

3,629 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I'm not saying I disagree with what's best.

I'm saying Jerry is going to sign Dez and it's going to be quite a commitment.

Furthermore, the players are the product everyone is watching and what sells jerseys and why the fans are in the stands.

We're not watching Jerry Jones play.

We're watching Tony Romo, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten. Sean Lee when he's healthy and in the past Demarcus Ware.

We're a big market team in a pro sport business. That is undoubtedly a part of the equation.

Cleveland, Buffalo and Jacksonville's merchandise sales are what again? Their TV presence is what again?

You need stars in the game cause it's good for business. You may win or not with them if you can build a team around them.

Do you honestly think Jerry is not going to sign Dez and pay him?
  15. AKATheRake

3,629 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Exactimondo!
  16. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,313 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    Orton stepped in and the offense didn't skip a beat, Kitna replaced a 1-5 led romo squad and got us to .500 football the rest of the season. By your logic romo is not worth that big money either.

See what happens when you try to have it both ways?

Bryant is the star of this team and the one player we field that strikes fear in opponents.

That's reality, whether you like it or not, and he's going to get paid, whether you like it or not.
    Risen Star likes this.
  17. theSHOW

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    Nice post. TS will get Joe Thomas money for 6 years making him the all time highest per year OT. I would do a franchise on DB for the 1st two seasons then trade him for a 3rd round draft choice. Two more seasons at an average of 13.5 wouldn't be bad before his play declines and his price goes up, but remember I am a proponent of trading him this year if we can get some picks.
  18. theSHOW

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received
    You failed the 2013 season exam. The team lost with Orton. Romo Smith Murray Witten and Frederick are the stars and the guards played better than DB. Sorry but I find your example pretty lame.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,169 Messages
    1,296 Likes Received
    Tyron is the one guy we need to lock up period. LTs like him are incredibly rare; maybe two or three in his class in the entire league. Add to his young age and we should look real hard at a 7 year deal. The only problem is that we would have to guess fairly correctly on what the cap will do in those seven years. We know it will go up but so will expenses and it is a sure thing that there will be more lawsuits and they get taken from league revenue off the top. Just like pensions and other expenses like medical. IF we can guess it close we can structure that contract to grow with the cap so that his percentage of the cap does not go up either. He would probably be willing to do this if we make the guaranteed part big enough; and with a 7 year contract we can do that and spread it out. Now we will get a fair amount of cap relief in 2016 or so when Romo probably is gone. That will probably be factored in as well; I am sure that our cap guys are working that angle hard as they should be. We are not likely to have any huge cap hits anytime in the next few years since Dez will not be as big as a QB or even close to it. Our Next QB will be a lot cheaper even if we draft him early due to the new rookie cap. And odds of us having anyone else as elite as Tyron is are sadly and honestly pretty long. So we will be able to spread the cap money elsewhere and that is a good thing.
  20. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

616 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Miles got 6 years and $54 million.

If that is any indication of what Dez's contract might look like, I'm willing to say that he'll be the top 1 or 2 highest paid receivers in the league when his new contract is inked.