1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Any fishers?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by LatinMind, Feb 19, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,615 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    I just recently got into fishing. And I have to say I'm hooked LOL. I've caught quite a few fish in the little time I've been fishing. Mostly catfish and striper. I'm wanting to know what most of you who do fish use? When I'm fishing with lure I've gone with a minnow or a shade lure. And when I fishing with bait its usually anchovie. I hear stripers love blood worms tho. Any suggestions that will help me are appreciated.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,612 Messages
    3,953 Likes Received
    If you like catching catfish.

Chicken livers is a good bait. You can also use shrimp. It is ok to put them in a plastic container and let them sit out in the sun to get a little ripe...the stinkier the better with catfish bait.
  3. Shadowy329

Shadowy329 Member

232 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty much what he said for catfish. The less you can stand to be around it the more they love it.

I have fished in quite a while but when i did it was more "active" fishing using lures generally poppers or spinners. To me it isn't really fishing if you're just throwing a bait in and waiting that's more of a "I need something to do while I kill this 12 pack" kind of a thing.

I usually went fresh water fishing never been fly or salt water fishing much.

The times i had the best luck wishing was away from the shore small canoe out in the middle of the water just don't have anyone that gets over excitable in the boat with you unless you have a change of clothes in the car and your tackle box is closed and floats.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,615 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    I've heard bout shrimp for catfish. any kind of shrimp will do? I like doing both. while my bait is in the water I'll lure at the same time. most of the fish I've caigt has been with bait

Posted from Cowboyszone.com App for Android
  5. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,188 Messages
    133 Likes Received
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,209 Messages
    2,310 Likes Received
    Been a while since I had the chance to fish. Last time I went was in Cancun and went deep sea fishing. Great experiance I landed a 400 lbs Blue Marlin. If you ever get to Cancun the price is reasonable to charter a boat. Me and a good friend did so it cost us 150 each and was out on the water for 6 hours.
  7. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

1,954 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Catfish is pretty simple. Throw smelly bait out and wait. Striper fishing tends to differ where you are doing it at. I've fished for them in Ca and NY. In NY we used to go fishing for them in Catskill where Catskill Creek meets the Hudson River. The way to do it there was take a heavy pole for striper, and a light pole with crappie jigs and catch yourself a herring. Then attach your live herring to a line with a big bobber, and let it swim around. In CA in the Bay Area and Delta live mud suckers were your best bet using a sliding sinker rig with a 3 ounce weight(flat or ball). The same works on coastal places like Pacifica, but use at least a four ounce weight that is pyramid shaped. Using the ball or flats your line will move all over the place with the current, and maybe even back to shore. Fishing in the channels going to San Luis reservoir you will use a nice big striper jig. They are basically gigantic crappie jigs. San Louis Reservoir proper anchovies live or frozen on a sliding sinker rig with a 2 or 3 once weight is sufficient.

/Good luck and have fun. :)
  8. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,100 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I used to do a lot of Bass fishing including tournaments in Arkansas.
  9. muck4doo

1,954 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Keep in mind, besides blood worms being pricey, they are small. The bigger the bait, the bigger the potential fish. Blood worms or grass shrimp will get you smaller fish more often. Blood worms also bite.

/Sounds like you are in CA
  10. muck4doo

1,954 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    For bucket mouths I like either live bait or rubber worms. Hula poppers and jitterbugs also work well at dusk.
  11. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,664 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Bass fishing for me. Top-water bait is my favorite. The anticipation of a hit keeps the heart rate up!

Top Knocker brand buzz bait, ChugBug, SmithWick Devil Horse are all very good.

Can't go wrong with spinnerbaits, rubber worms, and crankbaits.
  12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,336 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Maybe it is my being a city boy all my life, but I have never understood how someone can sit on a boat for hours with a line in the water just hoping to catch something.
  13. muck4doo

1,954 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    City boy has nothing to do with it. You think they don't go fishing in NYC, The Bay Area, Los Angeles etc?
  14. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,960 Messages
    3,536 Likes Received
    Are you fishing for stripers in salt or fresh water?
  15. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,100 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I used a lot of spinner baits and Carolina rigged worms.
  16. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,496 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    He's in Vancouver, an ocean in spitting distance.
  17. CanadianCowboysFan

15,336 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I went out salmon fishing twice when I was a teenager, got up really early, sat in a boat all day, getting sunburn/windburn, dehydrated with about six lines in the water, and both days one salmon was caught. Most boring time I have ever spent.

Maybe if I ate fish I would fell differently but who knows.
  18. speedkilz88

20,496 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Don't you have boys? How about fishing off a dock/wharf or a small boat? Bonding moment.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

15,336 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    I have one son. He and I do other things to bond. I have no interest in fishing and he has not shown any either.
  20. speedkilz88

20,496 Messages
    986 Likes Received
    Small boys usually go nuts about fishing once they've had a fish on their line. Even my niece's 4 yr old daughter has.