1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Any interest in Bobby McCray?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by juck, Jun 22, 2010.

1. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,124 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    METAIRIE, La. (AP)—The Saints released veteran defensive end Bobby McCray(notes) on Monday, abruptly parting ways with a playoff starter who helped New Orleans capture its first Super Bowl title.
    McCray started all three of the defending champions’ playoff games last season, making six tackles and a memorable block that flattened Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner(notes) after an interception.

He appeared to be in line to compete for a starting job in 2010 when the Saints released former starter Charles Grant(notes), who had missed the postseason with a torn triceps. However, New Orleans signed former Chicago Bears starting defensive end Alex Brown(notes), along with former Tampa Bay lineman Jimmy Wilkerson(notes), who has the versatility to play on the interior or on the outside of the defensive line.

This dude is pretty good.
  2. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a friend that is a long time Saints season ticket holder. I mentioned their cuts to him yesterday and his reaction was "good it's about time we got rid of those losers". I didn't ask why at the time but I left him a message on icq asking him about this. If he has anything worthwhile in his reply, I'll post it here for ya.
  3. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

5,820 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    If he's any good, the Saints wouldn't have cut him. We're good at DE.
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,094 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    It looks to me like Benson and the champs are making decisions based on finances now that they've finally won a championship.

From this cut to trading away Brown rather than paying him long-term, I think Tom Benson is ready to start putting money in his own pockets again.
  5. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

23,309 Messages
    3,547 Likes Received
    Not the Spagnola defense!

He got cut because they improved their depth with Alex Brown and Jimmy Wilkerson. He also had some discipline issues (tardy for meetings, committed cheap and bad penalties on late hits) that were driving Payton crazy. They even pulled him out of the game in the second half of the Super Bowl.

He still is a capable backup though, at least as a rusher.

McCray is strictly a 4-3 type of player, I do not think he is a fit. He could go to a 4-3 system and contribute as a role player somewhere, just not in Dallas.

I agree that our DE depth is just fine. Bowen and Hatcher (although I hope he gets it in gear this season) are good. We also have Lorenzo Washington and he is intriguing.
  6. Alexander

23,309 Messages
    3,547 Likes Received
    Not really, I do not think money motivated this cut as I don't think he was terribly pricey. Two million for a starting end is fairly cheap. He just did not fit in their plans with who they were able to sign.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboy rotation at DE is good. I'm sure McCray will find a team looking to upgrade their rotation.
  8. stasheroo

17,094 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    From what I've heard, they cut him to avoid paying him a bonus he was due.

Put me in this group.
  9. Alexander

23,309 Messages
    3,547 Likes Received
    Surely it factored in, but I doubt it was primarily because of that.

You do not fork over bonuses for players like him that are unreliable and in the coach's doghouse.
  10. stasheroo

17,094 Messages
    972 Likes Received
    No, you're right, it probably wasn't the sole reason.

But I see a lot of moves being made in New Orleans based on dallars and 'cents' rather than 'sense'.

And Tom Benson has a well-earned reputation for 'frugality'.

My belief is that now that he's got his championship that he'll be putting more money in his own pockets again.

We'll see how things go regarding an extension for Drew Brees...
  11. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,475 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    Any relation to Bobby Bouche?
  12. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Got an answer back. To much money and not enough production. So, I looked at his stats for last year. http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&leaguenum=&id=2939

I see his point.