1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Any of you ever put your tots into a private club for a sport?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CanadianCowboysFan, Sep 7, 2011.

1. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Mrs CCF and I decided this week to bite the bullet financially and put CCF Jr into an elite private club for hockey. We live in an area with only a very small organization, no paid coaches, not a lot of interest from parents to play a lot or pay for good coaching etc. Our organization preached the top goal of minor hockey to be "having fun". While that was fine for my son the first year he played and when he was one of the weakest players, it was not that good for him last year. He improved a lot with all the extra skating, hockey schools etc and likely would have been the top or second from the top player in his organization for H4 (8 year olds before Dec 31).

After we saw what kind of team we were going to have this year we decided to enquire into the private club. He agreed to move so while the cost is nuts (5000 to join the club as a member, 200 a month for dues) and then 997 to register for hockey), it is worth it as he will get better coaching, more icetime and be with players who want to be better. It is like moving from a Div III school to the SEC. He will be a middle player where he will be but he knows he will have to bust his butt to get to the top.

Anyone else ever put their tot into a private club for any sport, and if so, how did it work for you?
  2. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    This thread will not end well.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    You're going to pay like 7K to put him in a league where he will once again be one of the weaker players?

Why not just let him play on the local team and experience a little bit of reward for all the hard work that was put in?

That is, if he really would be one of the better players on his team.

If the players in the scam league are really that much better, he's not going to get any additional playing time than what you've purchased with that outrageous fee.

So, he'll get just enough time to keep him happy (Guaranteed it won't be enough for you or the wife at that cost) and struggle against stronger opponents. What if at the end of two years of struggling he says he doesn't want to play hockey anymore and decides to parlay all those acquired skating skills into a figure skating career?

IMO, you'd be better served by continuing the private practices and keeping him in the local league. He's 8 for God's sake. If he has a little success and develops into a good player who can compete at the next level, then let him do it.

Seems like a no-brainer. You save money (or could throw it into his college fund), he gets to experience a little success and reward and you don't have to risk having your kid turn into a Flamer On Ice (jk).

In all honesty, it seems like you're forcing the hockey issue a little much. What if he wants to quit halfway through the season? What if he plays 3-4 seasons and never really benefits as much as you think he will? Now you're out 30K. If he's benefitting that much from simply learning to skate, he's probably not ready to compete at a higher level yet. He needs to learn the basics first. He's got 8 years to to develop before he'll be on a HS team. Don't rush it and burden him with all the extra pressure of wanting to succeed for the sake of your wallet book instead of wanting to succeed for himself.

Keep your money (or hell send it to me as compensation for the advice), let the kid have fun and keep up with the private practices that have worked so well thus far.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    It isn't 7000 a year, membership is 5000 but that is a one time payment over 10 months. The dues are 200 a month plus the registration fee.

I'm not forcing anything on him, he wanted to play and move. Being the best on a bad team is meaningless. He won't improve. Most good players from our organization leave, just the way it is.

If he quits after two years, so be it but I can't see that happening. His competition within the club will be tougher but he will win more and that will be good for his psyche.

As his previous coach said, in New West, you can make rep one year (there is only one rep team) and then be back playing with kids who drool the next year, what good is that?

It will be nice to be around parents who will not cry over $50.00 for a tournament fee, in an organization that wants the tots to have fun but also wants to win. His old organization just wanted the players to have fun. Well losing 12-0, 21-0 and winning only 4 games all year is NOT fun. He scored about 20 goals last year sometimes when he was the only player on his line who could skate.

Your attitude is like saying you are better to be the best in the CFL than an extra in the NFL. Hardly.

He will get better by having better coaching, more icetime and being with better players.

Even if he only remained a middle player, he will still be better than the best in his old organization AND will play at a level as high or higher than the best in his organization.

It's only money anyway.
  5. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    why because the cheap ones will come on and say spend the money elsewhere?
  6. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I do wonder though why the second a child spends a lot of time on the sport, the parents are seen as pushing them to do it? With CCF Jr, he wants to be on the ice all the time, he would skate every night of the week if he could. He has done 3 hours during the day at hockey school and still wanted to do public skating at night.

When I ask if he wants to go to a public skate and he says no, we don't go, but he rarely if ever says no.
  7. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,498 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    There are three questions you have to ask yourself ..

1) Do you have the money to do this without any regrets no matter what happens?

2) Is this completely his idea? Meaning is he the one wanting it?

3) Would you be completely okay with it if he decides after one season he never wants to play again?

These are all serious questions that I strongly urge you to consider and ask yourself. You don't need to answer them in this thread because that is irrelevant.

#reality
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    1) yes, and hell that is what LOCs are for ;)

2) We of course brought it up, we initiated but he wants it.

3) I would have to live with the decision.

In the end though, the answers and questions are equally irrelevant since he is already registered ;)
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,603 Likes Received
    So you pay 8K this year and 3K thereafter?

You just said he went from one of the worst to one of the best because of the extra time and effort outside the team. Why can't he continue to improve while remaining on that team?

Maybe. Maybe the other clubs he plays will be just as good, if not better.

I don't see how this is an issue. He went from one of the worst to one of the best in one season. Are you saying he can't continue to improve without being on the other team? If he's good enough to make rep one year, he should be good enough to make it the next year unless other kids are improving more than he is........in which case the entire argument of getting better solely on the club team is out the window.

So you're paying all those dues for yourself? To spare yourself from the peons who can't, wont or don't want to pay the minimalist peon fee? You could always find another seat or not listen. If you're worried about appearances, take on the role of one of those dads who is so into the game and so knowledgable about all the intricacies that they have to be as close as possible and as detached as possible from all other conversations around them as possible.

And again, there's no guarantee he'd win more in the club league. Unless this is some league that sucks up all the local talent and plays against the little local teams (Like the one you're trying to pull your kid off of), you could lose just as much as win.

Not even close. Aside from the fact that one is a paid profession (Pro Football) and the other is basically paid admission to intramural athletics (8 year old hockey or baseball or basketball or football), kids really don't care about the outcomes. Sure, they may get a lip quiver but give them the post-game treats and the world is nothing but kittens and rainbows. I can't remember a single game I lost in little league that haunts me to this day. Maybe if I had a golden ticket to the local all-star team I would feel a little different.

Furthermore, CFL players strive to be NFL players because they will make more......not because their daddies can afford to get them a roster spot. Remind me again what your 8 year old son is striving for, if anything at all.

Or he'll get his allotted few minutes, wave to the fam in the stands and skate back over to the bench.

Have you seen this team play? If you have, ask yourself if your kid could get on the ice and earn himself a spot. If you haven't, I'd recommend taking a look and asking yourself the same question. No matter how much you think he can improve or how much you think your membership dues will earn him an equivalent amount of time, the coach isn't going to sandbag the other 3K/members to appease one parent. He's gonna play the best he has first and foremost, the rest can get cleanup time when the score gets out of hand.

Maybe. Your whole position on better coaching, better opponents and teammates kind of falls flat when you start looking at all the players at the professional and collegiate level who came from underprivileged homes and went to underfunded schools with inexperienced or inept coaches and played against other teams of similar status. How'd they ever get even halfway there without all those "advantages".

You should just come out and say that you're more interested in joining than he is.
  10. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a right-of-center capitalist, I'm loathe to tell another person how to spend their money. And if the child isn't being pressured, so much the better. Does your son know how much you shelled out? If so, my only concern is that he might decide to keep playing even though he's miserable and doesn't want to, in order to justify the investment you made in him.
  11. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Active Member

4,092 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Like tater tots?
  12. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know that there's anything like that in our area, but for soccer, the top competition is at the "travel" level, and most people who want their kid on a competitive team shell out a couple thousand dollars a year for all the expenses, which includes a paid, professional coach.

You have to try out for these teams, and the competition for them is fierce. You also have to have a pretty much year-round commitment.

My son plays on one of these teams, and it's a great experience and the level of skill is far better than the "rec" teams, but it is a huge financial and time commitment. He's also getting much better coaching, however, as his coach is a former U.S. National Team member and played in three World Cups.

This fall he's doing both soccer and football, and the time strain is tremendous. We have at least one practice every night and multiple practices some nights. Football games on Saturday and Soccer on Sunday. If I wasn't coaching the football team, it'd be impossible, as I can work my practice schedule around his soccer schedule.

The things we do for our kids. :p:
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    He doesn't know the actual total, he knows it was more. Hell he has no idea that for him to go to a hockey school in Montreal, we paid including travel, hotel, car rental etc about 7000
  14. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    It is clear you are just being argumentative without really knowing what you are talking about.

All the good players leave our organization, that tells you all you need to know.

His new organization plays the same teams he used to play but will be better team. There are three teams of 10 players in his new organization. He will get the icetime. All three teams are balanced so they are equal calibre teams.

Yes I have seen BWC play, they played us last year. My son could skate with and not look out of place with the new team. In fact when we played them last year, he was about the only guy on our team who could actually take the puck off the players on his new team. If he had the extra ice the new org players get, he would have been as dominant.

BWC is the best organization in the Lower Mainland. We will not win every game but damn near all of them for sure.

Re the 50 fee, hell there were some last year who wanted to get out of paying as their son had to miss the tournament etc. The manager had put the money out herself and had to chase others down for reimbursement.

As for your comment about kids not caring about the outcome, are you nuts? Last year in games where our boys won or tied, they were ecstatic. They went into most games figuring they had no chance to win.

He could have improved while on the old team but in the end, I think he would have stagnated while playing with players who are happy with one practice and one game a week, never go to free skating, sign up for hockey schools etc. My son couldn't figure out why a boy from his class who was on the team said that he hated extra skating his parents put him in (they won't be doing it anymore).

CCF jr has a passion for playing. That could change for sure but likely not in the foreseeable future. If it works out and he ends up with a scholly great, if he just gets to play with a good team, fine too.
  15. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,187 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    If you have already made your decision why did you ask?
  16. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,322 Messages
    3,191 Likes Received
    I don't believe he was asking should he do it. I believe he was asking if others had done a similar thing and how'd it work for them with their kiddo. Pretty clear question if just going by the thread title and the final sentence in the OP.

Sounds like Danny White has to some degree.
  17. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,187 Messages
    42 Likes Received
    Gotcha, I totally whiffed on that. My bad. Carry on.
  18. CanadianCowboysFan

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    correct
  19. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,078 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I can only say that as a kid who grew up in Canada that i, and any of my friends of similar ages, would have killed to have the opportunity that your son has been given.

Others in this thread may be right, perhaps your son may find that he drifts from the sport due to excess pressure, or expectations or whatever, however, in Canada, unless things have changed dramatically since i left, kids getting a chance to get accelerated coaching, summer power skating, hockey schools etc.. is simply outstanding. Eight years old or not.

When we were kids all we thought of was hockey, i'm serious, nothing else. I'm not sure our American friends have quite the same connection to their favorite sport here as we do with hockey in Canada. When i grew up almost every single person we knew was involved in hockey in some manner. All the kids played, parents coached, or they helped at the rink, or they raised money for equipment, or they billetted players for travel teams etc.. Its kind of amazing really, particular in smaller cities and towns.

Anyway back to the point, i think its a great idea. If you have the money go for it. The experiences your son will enjoy, particularly if he becomes skillful, will be fantastic. Travel teams and leagues, high school, provincial teams, junior, all rich experiences for any kid.
  20. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,514 Messages
    74 Likes Received
    My 3 oldest kids played club ball growing up. 2 baseball, 1 basketball. Overall I'd have to say it turned out great. My youngest is 11 and just starting that path now. So much is on the coach, expertise & quality of individual. The other kids/families important too. I totally get the distaste of being stuck on a rec team where parents/kids have goals not aligned with yours. Been there. It can work for a while but if your kid wants to run with the big dogs, take on the challenge etc. I'd say GO.

Danny White's story rings so, so true for me. You need to find the right balance for you and your kid. I don't think you can convey all the intangibles of a situation clearly in a post. No one here can really see those to assess.

We had doubts entering in. Balance, $, time, etc. It had its ups and downs. But all 3 kids played through and had their share of success along the way. All 3 did the same in HS. Yes, you give up a lot. But you get a lot too.

Only 1 of our 3 went on to play in college and he graduated a couple years ago. The other two could have, remain passionate about athletics, but chose not to for a variety of reasons. That can be a tough transition, abrupt ending. But all 3 along with wife & I have great, great memories and absolutely no regrets. Their were times of great grind. but the payback in our lives was incredibly rich. Best decision of our lives and in retrospect it was the only choice to make for who we are. Good luck. Enjoy your family!