1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anybody bought a football helmet recently?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Future, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,407 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    I'm playing in a semipro league this summer, need a new helmet.

I'm leaning towards the Schutt DNA pro+, but I'm not totally sure since I haven't bought a helmet since...ever.

Anybody gotten one recently?
  2. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,515 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Definitely can't go wrong with the Revo Speed Helmets. Every high school has them now.
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,687 Messages
    1,783 Likes Received
    Try this one out. It's a helmet that has been used for a long time. And, it's not that expensive.

[IMG]
  4. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,576 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    I used the DNA when I last played semipro ball and I loved it. VERY heavy duty but very lightweight as well.

I went with the titanium facemask (more expensive but much sturdier and lightweight at the same time).
  5. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,761 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    My school uses the regular Revos. I love them, very comfortable and a good look. But, if you're looking to spend some extra money, I think the Air XP is soooo sick
  6. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...focus on a good fit for your head.

Newer helmets such as the Riddell 360 or Revolution Speed are good ones. From Schutt I would consider the Vengeance or the ION 4D.

All four are pricey, but they feature adjustable air fit, better chin straps, energy absorbing facemasks and great ventilation.

In Riddell they have specific facemasks for the different series of helmets. In Schutt they have the option to go to Titanium except the Vengeance series.

Get high hook chin strap also to keep the bucket on your head. Safer.

Just a thought. You are in a semi pro league. There's no million dollar check at the end of the year. Of these four choose the one that fits best. This is the best insurance you can buy for your noggin.

Play football don't play with your brain.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,407 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    Thanks guys. I think the DNA will be my choice, best combination of quality and price I can find.
  8. jcollins28

jcollins28 Active Member

1,508 Messages
    11 Likes Received
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    Auhhh..... yeah, that one is expensive. That one is mine and I aint selling it cheap.

:)
  10. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...how safe this helmet is.

It uses expanded foam for the liner and that is a strong backward in my opinion.

I would be cautious about this brand until Virginia Tech can test it.

http://www.sbes.vt.edu/nid.php