1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anybody else smell the Campo Years right around the corner?

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by Zordon, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,783 Messages
    6,438 Likes Received
    I know that stench from anywhere. All the chuckling and sunshine pumping from the Jones dictators the last few years led us to today. Ware gone, M&M jags in, competition improving everywhere. Dark years are ahead folks. Hang on tight.
    Gaede likes this.
  2. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,220 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    Around the corner? We have been in them for the past 4 years except Campo never had Romo.
    romomania, cml750, Falcon554 and 9 others like this.
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,730 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    Gotta admit, my 2014 hopes have faded.
    lostar2009 likes this.
  4. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Definitely has the feeling that things are going to get way worse before they get any better.
  5. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,353 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    Agreed, I'd almost be willing to give up picks in this year's draft to go get Clowney and rebuild from there.
  6. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,730 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    The thought has crossed my mind. I'm pretty sure you'd have to throw in next year's first in addition to the first few rounds in this one. It's just not smart.
  7. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I will say that I am totally fine with a torpedo season, though. I have no confidence in any member of this coaching staff. A mass franchise enema is exactly what we need, and if it takes 4 UFL players starting at defensive line, then so be it.

8-8 was only good enough to delude a select few into believing that this team was a player or a bounce a way. Time to absolutely destroy that misconception.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,131 Messages
    8,947 Likes Received
    No, I don't see Campo years around the corner. We're a 500 club, with a lot of work to do on defense. I don't have a hard time imagining us going from awful to mediocre on defense this offseason. And a year after that, we're in position to finish restocking the talent on that side of the ball and to address the QB position long-term.
    Fla Cowpoke likes this.
  9. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,536 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    We've gone from awful to more awful this offseason. What's going to take us from that to mediocre all of a sudden?
  10. cej757

cej757 Well-Known Member

578 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Jerry should start shopping Witten right now and see if he can get a 3rd or 4th rd pick for him. I understand he had to keep Romo to keep the stadium filled , but it's time to move on from the Parcells group.
  11. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,961 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    nothing meaningful has occurred for Dallas since Campo. They just changed the way they lose.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  12. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,642 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    Would you feel different if in 2015 Romo is 35 and looks like a Brad Johnson 35 vs a Prime-Romo 35? This year is big for Romo to show he isn't breaking down. Im never comfortable with back issues long term.
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,783 Messages
    6,438 Likes Received
    8-8 is the worst thing to happen to this franchise.
    birdwells1 and ConstantReboot like this.
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,783 Messages
    6,438 Likes Received
    Good point. I think the difference is we go into more games knowing we have a chance to win. The Campo years we went into the majority of games knowing we'd lose. Different mindset and approach as a fan. I think those days are right around the corner.
  15. Idgit

33,131 Messages
    8,947 Likes Received
    If we didn't have a QB and didn't have a prospect on the roster, then, yes, I'd feel different. But we do have the QB, and we'll almost certainly have a decent prospect behind him this year or next. The other good thing is that just improving our pass defense fairly dramatically gives us about the same net benefit that we get by having an elite QB in his prime. If we split the difference and get better against he pass and worse at QB, we'll at least be treading water, only with a better cap situation.
    Mookie likes this.
  16. Idgit

33,131 Messages
    8,947 Likes Received
    Free agency, and the draft. There's a long, long way to go before we can evaluate how 'awful' this offseason turned out to be. So far, it's mostly just people complaining about things no matter what the net result for the team is likely to be.
    Carharris2 and casmith07 like this.
  17. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

1,164 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    nope, as long as romo is healthy the cowboys will at least get 7 wins
    Mookie and DandyDon1722 like this.
  18. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,205 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    Not drafting a defensive lineman after switching to a 4-3 is looking worse by the hour.
  19. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,642 Messages
    1,264 Likes Received
    We better do something along the DLine in FA...Too many holes to fill in the draft + OG and QB, WR and RB.

I'll reserve final prediction until the 3rd preseason game this year.
  20. Asklesko

Asklesko Active Member

1,064 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    i don't think there's any way to avoid it at this point. cap hell, no depth, a qb on his way out, and a mad gm incapable of improving the team.