1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anybody else smell the Campo Years right around the corner?

Discussion in 'Jerry/Garrett/Rant Zone' started by Zordon, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,567 Messages
    5,295 Likes Received
    We can get a 3rd/4th OG late in VFA without any significant outlay. QB depends on what Orton does. We'll need to add a WR at some point, but there are veterans available there, and the draft is deep at WR, too. RB I'd like to see addressed because I don't like Randle, but we can do that next offseason if we want to.

We do have to address DL, and not just high in the draft. I agree.
  2. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Active Member

482 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    I love how people are finding the silver lining in that Garrett will be gone next year and we'll have had hit the reset button and have all this cap room. I fear we are already getting the first built in excuses extra early for why he'll be extended...
  3. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I'll bite. I don't see three years of helpessness ahead of us. We were in it last year despite being without Ratliff, Spencer, Crawford, Bass, Lee, a healthy Ware and a healthy Romo for the last game.
  4. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,008 Messages
    696 Likes Received
    In what? The chance to get demolished in the first round of the playoffs by NO because our division sucked?

Yay?
  5. alicetooljam

alicetooljam Active Member

482 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Sorry, we were in "what" exactly?
    wileedog likes this.
  6. Common Sense

Common Sense Well-Known Member

1,510 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Wait, you mean we were in it without BEN BASS? How?
    wileedog likes this.
  7. jason54858

jason54858 Gloomy Sunday

1,945 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    I've been smelling the Campo years for a very long time
  8. Fla Cowpoke

Fla Cowpoke Well-Known Member

2,486 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    You guys obviously have no recollection of how bad the Campo years were. You also apparently don't realize how bad it is to be without half your projected opening day DL.
    Carharris2 and Idgit like this.
  9. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,786 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    As long as Romo is here, we will not be in Campo years. Tony is the difference between the two. When Romo does leave, it will truly be bad times and it is sad that a lot don't realize that. For better or worse, Tony is the only reason this team has been competitive.
    StarBoyz83, cml750 and DandyDon1722 like this.
  10. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,037 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I wasn't around for the Campo years but anything is better than 8-8, literally anything. 9-7 and higher gets you a playoff shot. 7-9 and lower gets you in the top half of the draft.

It has to get worse before it gets better but the thing is with Romo signed long term to a gigantic contract, we can't rebuild, not until he's cut, retired or his contract is done. He will win games for you and get you to 8-8 by himself but with our defense, they will lose games to keep us at 8-8. It's a tough spot to be in but who knows maybe we fill out that defense with spot on drafting and more signings and things work out?
    cml750 likes this.
  11. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,424 Messages
    3,713 Likes Received
    We went 8-8 the last 2 years with awful defenses. Improve them and the record will get better. Seems easy enough to me.
    MichaelWinicki and Carharris2 like this.
  12. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,811 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Truth is no one knows what is coming around the bend. Will we be terrible without Romo? I don't know depends how our new Quarterback plays. I doubt we are headed to the Campo days because the situations are quite different. Under Campo we had a broken down Aikman and the unholy quartet of Wright, Carter, Stoerner and Leaf. Let's not forget hutch either. We had an aging running back terrible receivers and a bad Oline. I don't see that now.
    casmith07 likes this.
  13. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,241 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    So true. I would have rather go 4-12 than be mediocre for 3 straight years. Thank Garrett for that.
    cml750 likes this.
  14. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,241 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    I will most certainly miss Romo. Garrett's popularity will tank even more once his gone.
  15. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    667 Likes Received
    If it means gutting this team, fine. The Campo years brought change and made Jerry change his ways to get Parcells in here.

I would say the past 3 seasons have been worse than the Campo years. Purgatory is the worst place to be. We gain nothing. Except false hope from Jerry to continue to get us deeper and deeper in salary cap mess. And extend players that don't need to be i.e. Romo, Witten, Ratliff and others. Making silly trades in the draft i.e. 2012 to get Claiborne.

Now what we have is a QB who can't win but being paid as a top 5 QB or somewhere around there. So we have all this money tied into him that hinders our ability to do much else with the other bad contracts we have.

We are stuck. We can't tear it down. Not with Romo's contract. No one is touching that. Can't cut or trade him. So we are forced to keep trying and rolling the dice.

This team is a 9-7 team at best and that's if everything falls into place. That is our ceiling. And a quick first round exit if we happen to get into the playoffs. Yet we are paying our QB the way we are.

But most likely, we will be 7-9 or 8-8 and miss the playoffs for the 6th time in the last 7 years. And do it all again in 2015.
    ConstantReboot likes this.
  16. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,731 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    ROMO = Danny White + Campo years x 1000 Drama

RIP 2006 - 2018
  17. Dday22t

Dday22t Active Member

108 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    gonna need a homerun/A+ in the draft for sure
    Nirvana likes this.
  18. Floaty

Floaty Benched

752 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    The Campo years.

Oh yes...the string of 5-11 years.

Got news for you. It's gonna get worse. Real worse. So bad...we are gonna wish for the Campo years. How can people forgot the head coach of the 2008 0-16 Detroit Lions is now our defensive coordinator?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Detroit_Lions_season

There was a reason why we had the worst defense in the history of the Cowboys last year. Now we just promoted him to lead the D.

Consider this the perfect storm. An owner that is unwilling to pay top defensive talent. A defensive coordinator that has convinced the owner he can take inferior talent and make a winner.

2014 Cowboys may give the 2008 Lions a run for their money.

Historians will look back and say what kind of owner would hire a coach that led the only team in NFL history to 0-16???? And then promote him?

This will be Jerry Jones darkest hour when all the dust settles.
  19. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,069 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    Conjecture! Whining! Wailing and gnashing of teeth!
    windward and JonJon like this.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,069 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    It's your upper lip.