1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anybody watching Rivers in the pocket?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Austinrocks, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Benched

52 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I brought this up last week and got crucified, so I will try and do a better job this time. I think Tony is a very good QB with lots of athletic ability. What I would like him to learn to do better is step into the pocket and throw the ball more. If you watch Rivers, and I understand it may be that the SD OL is that much better than we are, but Rivers will drop back, let the rushers come, step forward into the pocket and throw, and most importantly, he rarely rushes a throw.

Tony seems to rush the throw way too many times and rarely steps into the pocket like Rivers does.

Again, I realize that maybe SD's OL just does a much better job than our OL, but if you are watching the game tonight you will understand what I am saying.

It looks like, and this may be the answer, that Rivers trusts his OL alot more than Tony.

If our OL could block like the Chargers are doing tonight and Tony learned to just relax and step up into pocket, we would score 40 points a game, I really believe this. I don't know if this is a matter of coaching or what, it is just very obvious watching tonight's game.

OK, I am done, go ahead and roast me and tell me I don't know football!
  2. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received

After the 2007 season Romo decided he wanted to emulate Tom Brady.He liked how Brady stood in the pocket and how smoth he was while in the pocket.I think after he did that he hurt himself more than he helped himslef because he changed his style of play.Romo needs to be Romo,he can't try to emulate other players or he will screw himslef up again.

Craig
  3. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Benched

52 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, Tony needs to roll out more, I think he is best when doing that.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo is getting back to his old self by moving around and making plays.
  5. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,277 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    our O-line sucks,rivers will not be very successful behind our line.
  6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

1,535 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    Ummm, I like our guy............
  7. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Benched

52 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I do too, that has nothing to do with what I am talking about???
  8. anava

anava Well-Known Member

1,586 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    You stated on your own....Our O line will not allow him to just stand in the pocket and then step up...we get pressured from all over
  9. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,607 Messages
    19 Likes Received

Designed roll outs have there place in an offense.

The thing that Romo needs to do is scramble when there is nothing there.For awhile he would just sit in the pocket and take the sack instead of scrambling.The game against the Saints was the first time in awhile where Romo made the decision to go scramble instead of waiting for a play to develop.He doesn't have to run for many yards on those scrambles he just has to keep the defense aware of the possibility.

Craig
  10. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree, Romo has taken a lot of pointless sacks, last week I saw the old Romo.
  11. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,719 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    I bet Tony would love to just stay in the pocket and throw. Unfortunately, it aint happening with this O-line.
  12. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

3,101 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Rivers is just better than Romo. Why can't people just realize that and stop bringing up this oline nonsense? I've seen them block just fine and him still do stupid ****.
  13. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Two different types of QB. That said, rivers is having a huge season. Even if he is ********.

[IMG]
  14. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    go away
  15. Oldschool7

Oldschool7 Benched

431 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The team clearly doesn't want Romo rolling out. He may be more prolific when he does that, but that's also where he tends to get hit (often from behind) and fumbles.

The problem is that we have a mediocre line---esp. Davis who tends to have at least 5 or 6 complete whiffs every game. (He's dominant or terrible, never in-between.)
  16. Oldschool7

Oldschool7 Benched

431 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Somebody is christmas-day-bitter with a chip on his shoulder.

Tony is only a top 10 NFL quarterback this year in fewest turnovers. That's all.

Oh...and has been well documented: he's in the top five of QBs all time in qb rating.

So clearly stilltheguru still has issues.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    If Norv were here you would see Romo playing more like Rivers. Norv just knows how to run the system better than Garrett imo.
  18. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,048 Messages
    651 Likes Received
    It's shocking he has time to troll here and take away from his TO jock riding. Also to the OP, Romo has to run for his life a lot and Rivers has a clean pocket most of the time. But that is not to take away the fantastic season that Rivers is having atm and Romo too.
  19. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,079 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I am glad everyone see's that troll for what he is now.
  20. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The ignore list is a wonderful thing. Every time someone quotes one of these guys it just reminds me why they are on my ignore list.