1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anyone Ever Have Kidney Stones?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,486 Messages
    597 Likes Received
    Just reading this thread, Im ready to drink gallons of water.

Hope you get better, man. Ouchie.
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  3. Passepartout

Passepartout Member

308 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    My mom has been having them since 1995 and due to her lupus. She had twice long hospital stays in 2008 and 2011. Nearly almost dying of one in 2011 as she was in such pain.

Due to her lupus, she can't have an operation that I can't explain as it is hard to explain where they try to seal the kidney up as she nearly lost a kidney.

She has not really had one for a year and a half, a hard one but she had passed two kidney stones safely thank goodness.
  4. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,565 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    i've never had them, but i've known people who have.
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,779 Messages
    526 Likes Received
    This was a helpful post.
  6. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Ouch.
  7. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,400 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Both my older brothers have "enjoyed" them. I fear the hand of destiny.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    The hospital I went to doesn't have that machine. Instead, the urologist uses a laser. I must say, ultrasonic waves sound much better. And, if I had to do it again, I would go to a different hospital. I can't believe I let the Dr. do that. I guess I'm a pushover for attractive and intelligent Asian wimmen. :)
  9. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,565 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    i just thought i would put that out there.
  10. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Elaborate
  11. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Thanks. I'm ready for it to pass, too. No pun intended.
  12. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,853 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I had one back in high school.

I nearly passed out before I even got in the car to go to the ER. Just a terrible pain all through your stomach and back before you even deal with passing the thing.
  13. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,904 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    I feel your pain.

Had a 7 mm one a year and a half ago. Woke up in a crap load of pain, at first I thought I ruptured my appendix. Started peeing blood later at the hospital, and then got a cat scan to confirm. Hospital doctor said to try and let it pass. LOL.

Got a lithotripsy procedure a week later (earliest that it could be scheduled). Still had to pass it afterward. That sucked. Felt like broken glass passing through my woo woo.

Hope that you get some relief.
  14. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,904 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    It's not better.

They put you under for it. Blast you for around 20 minutes with shock waves. It makes your kidney feel like it went through a meat grinder. The first time you have to go to the bathroom, the amount of blood that comes out is insane - it will make you think that you ruptured a blood vessel.

The only saving grace is being put under.
  15. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    This is what I went through except they did my surgery immediately because of potential obstruction. The lithotripsy was difficult immediately after and has gotten worse with a kidney infection and then, today, I guess is when I began feeling the effects of passing the so-called "gravel". Broken glass is exactly right. Feels like my schlong is fire from it all. It's no joke.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I see. I guess there is no easy way to deal with it. It just looked easy on the video I saw. Apparently not.
  17. Mike_45

Mike_45 Active Member

1,095 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I have had them three times.

First time it seemed like it took months for them to pass, once the first one passed I fished it out of the toilet with a plastic spoon and had it analyzed. It was a calcium stone, the second one broke up and passed in small pieces. Both were not huge, under 4 millimeters.

I did not make any dietary changes at this time, I was young and dumb at 25.

The second time I was on vacation at the beach and I went to the bathroom and it was like firefire and I pissed blood. Went to the doctor and ended up having a procudere where they were broken up. I made some dietary changes but didnt stick with it.

This past September I woke up in the middle of the night in extreme pain and started vomiting up blood. Went to the ER and got a stomach tube, morphine, cat scan and vomited a few more times. Turns out that a decent sized stone was passing, about 4 millimeters again and it caused some irritation which caused the vomiting. I was given Rapaflo which from what I have read is a cousin of flomax that really relaxes things down there. I ended up passing the stone with that.

This time I did some research and a 24 hour urine collection. Based upon the results of that and my research I cut down on eating as much animal protein, I cut out almost all sodas and energy drinks, cut back on whiskey, started to drink a lot more water and at least twice a week I have a glass of real lemonade.

In my case since I was not producing enough urine, the urine was sitting stagnant in my kidneys allwoing the stones to from. Sine it was stagnant and since I was eating a lot of red meat and flushing my fllushing my kidneys out effectivley I was just asking for trouble. Plus where I live is in the kidney stone belt.

So far so good on my changes, I am five months in and have not had a recurrence. I go every six months for xrays and a follow up with the Urologist.

On a side note, the guy that did my surgery was Dr. Wang. :)
  18. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Cutting caffeine out will help a lot as well.

Wow. Talk about fulfilling your destiny.
  19. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,312 Messages
    1,120 Likes Received
    HOLY CRAP!!!

I down about 8-12 Diet Cokes a day. Nothing yet, but if I have to cut out my DC, Im in trouble
  20. Mike_45

Mike_45 Active Member

1,095 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    They also have a guy at the practice who is Dr. Chopp. He does vasectomies. I kid you not.