1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

anyone here been to cowboys training camp in oxnard, ca?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by unreeaal, Jul 17, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,636 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    My advice is screw the bleachers and get into the fenced-in area.
  2. unreeaal

unreeaal New Member

17 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I just can't see my wife and or kids being OK with standing for that long unfortunately. On top of my 8 year old not being able to see anything from there if not at front.
  3. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,636 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    If your wife is like mine, she's got this bizarre idea that "Dallas Cowboys" is not synonymous with life itself. She may prefer to do something else for a few hours. When I went back the second day, it was just me and my older son (then 5 yrs old) in the fenced in area. We had a great time, sometimes standing, sometimes sitting on the grass. We were early enough so that we were in the front, and it didn't matter if we sat because the only people in front of us were players and coaches out on the field. "Early" is the key.
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    1) Last year was my first year at camp so my advice is obviously based on that single experience. We did just make our reservations for this year though. 7/28 - 8/3. We won't go everyday but I hope to make 3 days.

2) Oxnard temps are very comfortable (we got cold in the shade) but standing in the direct sunlight midday will absolutely get you burned. So don't show up expecting that shade is not an issue. Bring plenty of sunscreen, good hat etc. The sun is absolutely a factor even at 72 degrees or whatever. If you really want to be close to the action you will not have shade. Grabbing shade will compromise your experience. If you have concerns about kids & wife standing in the hot sun then you're going to be a bit torn.

3) For me, there is no way I'm content sitting in the bleacher area. I don't see how anyone seriously interested in the team would be. Very bland experience. You HAVE to get into the VIP area right up next to the fence. You have to join the True Blue club to do so. Its $20 per person for the season. Do it. I absolutely do not see how any serious fan could enjoy being in the bleachers. $20 gets you VIP, gets you on the field and there you will have almost zero shade. Its a choice, closer to the action, or comfort from the sun. No debate in my book but everyone is different.

4) The Blue-White scrimmage: This was day one for us in our rookie year. Horrible experience. JAM-PACKED! SUPER LONG lines for parking and entrance hours before the start. They ended up turning some away. We eventually found seats in the bleachers but the view was compromised and we shivered in the cold of the shade. Still, you could burn in the sun. Scrimmage start itself was compromised by a swarm of bees and thus the team action was very disappointing. But again we were in the bleachers and the experience is so much better in the VIP area down on the field. Myself, wife, 25 year old son, 12 year old daughter attended that day. Wife and daughter skipped attending any other practices. You kind of need to be diehard to enjoy multiple days IMO. Our trip timing will not get us to the scrimmage this year. No great loss. The crowd is bigger than the facility really can handle. The scrimmage is very much a mixed bag IMO.

5) Regular practice is where its at. Crowds thin out considerably, but you still need to work to get your spot. Buy your VIP pass, get there early enough to get a spot on the fence. That is what its all about IMO. Once on the fence, you're set. But you can't leave your spot as folks will be waiting to grab it. Its a bit like jostling for autographs if you've done that. You need to be polite but aggressive. We will get there extra early to ensure our spot. But you can perhaps show up later and luck out or weasle your way to a good spot. Its a gamble.

6) Expectations. You have to roll with the punches. Some days are better than others. There are two practice fields - near and far. They alternate the major work between the two fields (presumably to keep grass from over abuse). The fields are parallel to each other. Just know you can buy your pass, go early, grab a good spot on the fence only to see the team do most of their two hours on the far field. Bummer! But it happens. The near field will still have minor action, a few position drills etc. Can still be ok if you're diehard. But if you're going just 1 day know that there is risk.

7) Some would think practice is boring. I found it great, great fun if on you have a good spot on the fence. Worth the $20 (annual), standing in line, elbowing to the fence, then baking a bit in the sun. Your front row for everything then if they're on the near field. We're flying in from Colorado to do this. Last year we did Disney, beaches etc., the scrimmage + 3 days of camp. This year we'll stay in Oxnard the whole time. Myself & son will hit practice probably 3 times with plenty of time left for beaches. Probably up to Santa Barbara on the non-practice day.

Ask me any other questions or clarifications.
    Trent and Pottsville Maroons like this.
  5. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Join the True Blue club for $20 each - you and your son. That gets you on the field behind the fence. You will absolutely not regret it. You will regret being stuck in the bleachers IMO. Wife and daughter, depends on how into it they are. Having your 8 year old son at the fence with you will be awesome IMO, though I suspect he'll want you holding him some so he's not looking through chain link all the time.
  6. unreeaal

unreeaal New Member

17 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Any chance you can bring chairs to sit along the fence in the VIP area? Anyone know?
  7. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    Pretty sure that I have seen that done. Can't promise though.
  8. unreeaal

unreeaal New Member

17 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    thanks. Anyone else know?
  9. unreeaal

unreeaal New Member

17 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    As far as autographs go, anyone have any tips? I have an 8 and 12 year old, both cowboy fans and would love for them to get some autographs.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    You need to pay 20 bucks to join the true blue club to stand in front of the bleachers for the best view. No you cant bring chairs. Wear comfortable shoes you will do alot of walking on dirt and wood chips. Bleacher seating is limited and fills up fast particularly on the weekends when the place will be mobbed. As far as autographs there is a spot between where the players walk in and the bleachers before and after practice usually 3 to 5 people deep and mobbed. Parking I believe runs 10 bucks with admission free. If you dont mind crowds you will likely enjoy it very much.
  11. unreeaal

unreeaal New Member

17 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    Appreciate the reply. Going on Tuesday 7/30 so hoping it won't be too crazy packed. Practice starts at 4. Gonna try to get there by 2:30

Someone else mentioned there was a place for kids only to get autographs. Anyone know about this?
  12. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
  13. unreeaal

unreeaal New Member

17 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I was wondering about a specific "kids only" autograph area. Thanks
  14. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,478 Messages
    2,068 Likes Received
    What time do the gates open to where we can go in? I don't want to get there too early.