1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anyone here experience the late 90s wild west Cowboys Internet?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I did the newsgroup thing and it was a lot of fun....

the first Fax I got was on silver paper that looked like a etch o sketch

the first computer I worked on was an IBM main frame that was Huge with 9" floppy's and giant 850 bit memory cards

than I worked on WANG well they had to change all that cause you just couldn't have 9" floppy Wangs all over the place... I think I still have some programs I written in the "glossary" anybody that worked on Wang would know what the heck I am talking about

worked on a philips next totally different language

shoot as far as I know the first modem we got wasn't even know as a certain baud speed like 720 it was just a modem and very slow even for text

I learned Fortran, Pascal, Cobal, Cobal II and all of them are as dead as a doornail now

also remember downloading a picture that someone took on a 9600 Baud modem that took 2 and 1/2 hours to get and it was little more than a big thumbnail size picture ...remember phone bills being way high cause of it too.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  2. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,264 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    When I downloaded Wolfenstein 3D (the original) back around 1992. I started the download then went to bed. :laugh2: I think I had a 9600, maybe a 1200 baud modem.

You can download it here. It's only 712kb. I think there are web pages that exist that are larger than that these days. :lmao2:
  3. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Cowboy Roy_ was a trip. I think various message boards I've visited have had like 10 imposters of him.
  4. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,647 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I think only a few of us here used to post there. Funny, we had a lot of fun on that board.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,228 Messages
    7,021 Likes Received
    Man, those thread titles are amazing. Somethings never change.

Like this one:

Or this one...

Good stuff.
  7. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Man, do I feel old. I have been conversing with some of you for over 15 years.

Robert is a great guy. I was active on his political site also. How is he doing? Does he post here?

Reverend...you were the Bolshevik Pack Fan? I loved that persona. I laughed my *** of at your posts.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,993 Messages
    5,023 Likes Received
    Very true. Those days were just gold. Sadly, Robert isn't active on this site. I'll never forget we went to the Minny game when Moss lit us up. At least the beer was cold.
  9. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received

We spent hours talking on his old site. I would love to find an archive of it, to see how many of our predictions regarding politics and the world in general came true. Next time you talk to him, let him know JBond (John) says hi. You should drag him over here.
  10. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    I was on most of those old boards, too, but mostly as a lurker. I didn't own a big enough gun to be a poster.

:lmao:
  11. Sam I Am

31,264 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Your old *** was posting on stone tablets back in the Moses days. :laugh2: ;)
  12. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Star Power. Wasn't that the SportsOnly board?
  13. Blast From The Past

Blast From The Past Active Member

896 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I used to post on http://web.archive.org/web/20000817090052/http://www.texnews.com/cowboys/chat.html
    but was a lurker, mostly like here. Their was a very knowledgeable man on that board who went by the name Hitman, who was a mainstay there before he sadly passed on; the place really was never the same afterwards. Then the board got hit by trolls and bots and is, in fact, still getting hit by bots at http://www.texnews.com/cowboys/started2blank.html Most other regulars moved on to another board or boards. I was asked to either post more or go away on the new one that the majority started up. So I went away and came here. They had a Flameroom on the old board that was supposed to eliminate fighting in the main chat room, but it wasn't effective as it usually still happened on the main chatroom/board anyway as most people stayed on the main board. They also had a Troy Aikman chat room to talk about Troy...lol. And of course that had chatrooms/boards for all the other NFC East teams all together, which probably was a good ideal in the beginning and sometimes worked as intended but also made trolling really easy for the Cowboy haters to come over and start trouble. Lots of good memories of those olden times were brought back by the OP.
  14. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,190 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I enjoyed Austin360, it's been a long time.
  15. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,011 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    Yeah, that was me. I had a blast posting all that crazy ****. After Star Power's board closed, I got into trouble trying to post that persona on newer boards where it was easier for admin to catch you using multiple handles. I found some of my old Bolshevik Pack Fan images:

[IMG]

[IMG]

It was SportsOnly. Thanks for reminding me. If anyone knows Star Power/Robert Trevino, please invite him here. He was a good guy.
  16. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I remember the AOL message boards were pretty active back in the day. Those were really the only ones I went on in the late 90's.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  17. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I remember Austin360 and the Star Boards. I used to lurk and post a little on them until Dale told me about this board (actually the old board). So he's too blame for me being here.

I got my start on boards/chatrooms in the mid 90's in the old NFL.com chatroom also know as "Hat Chat" because you could choose the helmet of your team as a sort of avatar when you logged in. It was a nice chatroom until people got stupid and it got shut down.
  18. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

905 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I enjoyed reading alt.sports.football.pro.dallas-cowboys on usenet until spam, trolls and politics made it impossible to navigate.
  19. Sam I Am

31,264 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Then you moved on to alt.hamster.ducttape. :muttley:
  20. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Say hello to Richard Gere for us