1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Anyone watching the war room?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by phildadon86, May 8, 2014.

1. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

856 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    When the Martin pick happened, a minute before that, Stephen Jones got off the phone and looked very upset. This tells me a trade partner wasnt around and the Cowboys went BPA. And i think Martin was a great pick up. Protect your QB, create an AMAZING OL, and dont buy into the hype that is the Dallas Cowboys. I have to say, Jerry is not in the dog house for me this evening.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,700 Messages
    1,634 Likes Received
    No, they were going LB n Pitt took him.
    JoeyBoy718 likes this.
  3. mickswag

mickswag Active Member

316 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    That may be true, but that has nothing to do with what the OP just said.
    BigStar likes this.
  4. Pabst

Pabst Active Member

992 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I think they were doing their best to trade down and get a king's ransom for Manziel. It didn't happen.

Not sure about the Shazier talk. I think they liked the kid from Alabama more on that front.
  5. iceberg

28,700 Messages
    1,634 Likes Received
    Possibly and you could both be right.
  6. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

53,441 Messages
    6,642 Likes Received
    They had a trade partner just not the terms they wanted. Shazier was who we were going to draft or trade back for.
  7. Wolf2k5

Wolf2k5 Active Member

895 Messages
    229 Likes Received
    I assumed there was a delay from the streaming device to the war room camera by a minute or two. I think it was about Shazier being gone. They didn't start clapping and shaking hands till a min or two after pick was announced on ESPN
    iceberg likes this.
  8. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,749 Messages
    1,614 Likes Received
    They all sat there like stumps on a log for a few minutes, looking anything other than excited, then turned in the pick. Phones did not ring. No trade down opportunity worth taking was a real bummer for them. They wanted to address the defense. They made a solid pick under these circumstances, Glazier was saying Martin would go top 8 yesterday. This guy is the ultimate depth guy for the line. Barr, Donald and Shazier were the targets.
    BigStar and ThreeandOut like this.
  9. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

4,217 Messages
    2,037 Likes Received
    I knew we didn't take Manziel because they looked so calm. No fistpumps to be seen.
    BigStar and StarBoyz83 like this.
  10. iceberg

28,700 Messages
    1,634 Likes Received
    But given the way it fell, perfect pick
    daveferr33 likes this.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,553 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    I don't think Cleveland would give us what we wanted for Manziel....it's all speculation but it looks like we got our man, the instant starter.

Leary and Berny....bite the dust.
  12. iceberg

28,700 Messages
    1,634 Likes Received
    And another ones gone and another ones gone...
    SilverStarCowboy likes this.
  13. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,452 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    I just mentioned this in another thread...the story being told on the Ticket was from someone connected with Pittsburgh. The Cowboys were ready to take Shazier, and called his agent to tell him, who informed them that the Steelers had just made him their pick.

That makes sense. The phone call that Stephen slammed the phone down on and brought the whole room down, was such a short call, it didn't really look like a trade haggling call that they didn't get what they wanted. Stephen had some really choice words as he slammed the phone down, made me wish I could read lips.
  14. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,749 Messages
    1,614 Likes Received

15. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,763 Messages
    941 Likes Received
    Thats really interesting. I think Martin is a better pick, but it is some insight into where they think the real weakness is on the D.
  16. iceberg

28,700 Messages
    1,634 Likes Received
    Yea, priority, but gone. Fix it as best you can n go on
  17. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,763 Messages
    941 Likes Received
    And I gotta say, I am proud of our guys. I have never been a big Garrett guy, but he seems to have genuinely changed Jerry's perception of how to do things.
    Floaty likes this.
  18. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

1,362 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Would be interesting to see what that deal was....I have a hard time believing Cleveland was trying to move up for Manziel @ 11
  19. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    I heard they had the same grade on Barr, Donald, Shazier and Martin but, all else being equal, I really think they wanted to go defense with the pick.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I have never seen Jerry act so depressed when making a pick. For all the credit that posters are giving him for making the pick, it is a pick that he didn't want to make. I think his facial expression said it all . He was no more excited to draft Martin then I was from hearing it and I was not excited in the least bit.