1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

AP: College sued over speech against gay marriage

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Angus, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    College sued over speech against gay marriage
    Student says professor at L.A. Community College cut him off

updated 1:49 p.m. CT, Mon., Feb. 16, 2009

LOS ANGELES - A college student has filed a lawsuit saying a public speaking professor berated him in class for making a speech opposing same-sex marriage.

In the federal court suit filed last week, student Jonathan Lopez said that midway through his speech, when he quoted a dictionary definition of marriage and recited a pair of Bible verses, professor John Matteson cut him off and would not allow him to finish. He said Matteson also called him a "fascist *******."

A student evaluation form included with the lawsuit lacks a score for Lopez's speech, and reads "ask God what your grade is."
    Story continues below ?advertisement | your ad here

In a letter, Dean Allison Jones wrote that she had met with Lopez, considered his complaint "extremely serious in nature," and had begun a disciplinary investigation. Jones said in the letter she could not elaborate because of concerns for Matteson's privacy.

But Jones also wrote that two students were "deeply offended" by the speech, and quoted one as saying "this student should have to pay some price for preaching hate in the classroom."

Matteson did not immediately respond to calls and e-mails seeking comment early Monday. Offices of the Los Angeles Community College District were closed for the Presidents Day holiday.

Lopez made the speech at Los Angeles City College in November, days after the passage of Proposition 8, which banned same-sex marriage in California.

"Basically, colleges and universities should give Christian students the same rights to free expression as other students," David J. Hacker, an attorney for the Alliance Defense Fund, a Christian legal organization that is representing Lopez, told the Los Angeles Times.

Lopez and his attorneys are seeking financial damages and want the court to strike down a code at Los Angeles City College forbidding students from making statements deemed offensive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29223269/
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received
    Coming around full cycle. You have the freedom of speech. You have the freedom of speech with rules, no saying FIRE in a crowded theatre. You have freedom of speech, but no hate crimes, we'll let you know on a case by case basis. Now we want freedom of speech when your rules of freedom of speech impose on my freedom of speech when i want it, but not when it offends me, or really need it.

This day was coming, was only a matter of time.
  3. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,822 Messages
    710 Likes Received
    Let me guess, this teacher voted for Obama.

Does anyone wonder why California is bankrupt?
  4. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    Many of my professors were very open about their personal beliefs, and seldom attempted to censor themselves or temper the often acerbic and spiteful nature of their opinions regarding those with whom disagreed.

In fact, I had an English professor who constantly berated one of her brother-in-laws because he was pro life. She even expressed profound relief and gratefulness that he was dead. Having said that, she was an excellent teacher, and did much to advance my skills as a writer.

If left-leaning ideas are the only ones that can be expressed, there's no free exchange of ideas.
  5. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, many professors feel the need to indoctrinate students with their own views rather than facilitating honest discussion.

I'd definitely say that your English prof. did a good job in developing your writing ability though!
  6. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,269 Messages
    2,465 Likes Received
    Thanks.:)

She didn't dwell on her brother-in-law for long periods of time. It was more like a tangent she would embark on every so often.

I've had a couple professor who trended more conservative, but they tended to be less vociferous in their personal beliefs than the left-leaning ones. In fact, the best English professor I ever had was a Pat Buchanan-supporting, Vietnam vet. It was pure happenstance that I learned of his political tendencies, though.
  7. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The Gay mafia is at it again.
    Liberalism is a mental disorder.
  8. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I had an English teacher in H.S. who encouraged discussion, unfortunately the class wasn't made up of the brightest students. About halfway through the semester, we talked about "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift. We were supposed to discuss the effectiveness of satire. In a true testament to the effectiveness of our public schools, the kids in the class started arguing about whether or not poor children should be sold an eaten. One of the girls who was most upset by the prospect of eating babies ended up going to Yale. :D
  9. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

Thats good stuff right there !!!!
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    Not surprised such a comment came from a Lib.