1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Apple Keynote

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by a_minimalist, Oct 23, 2012.

1. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Just finished watching and the new iMac is extremely impressive with how thin it is--80% thinner then previous iMacs.

The iPad mini is impressive as well but I don't think the pricing is very competitive, at all. It starts at $329. There is also a brand new iPad 4 with new hardware which should speed things up a bit. That was very surprising since they just came out with the "new iPad".

Right now, Apple is updating their store so it should all be easy to look at pretty soon.
  2. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    IMO $329 is too much for the mini
  3. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I agree. If it came with a retina display I'd buy one. Right now, I'm not sold on the mini. If I'm spending more than $250 I'll go all the way and buy the regular.
  4. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
  5. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It has to be that much or it would knock out the iPod market. I honestly don't think Apple did much here w/ the mini. It isn't new or fresh. It's cool and thin and cute, but it cannot compete w/ the $199.99 tabs, unless your theo w/ endless amount of $$ sitting around for tech.

:laugh2:
  6. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,387 Messages
    834 Likes Received
    What a slap in the face.
  7. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    The only thing I think Apple did very well with is the iMac. Check that out. It's very cool. I want to get rid of my iMac now just to get it.
  8. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,068 Messages
    1,226 Likes Received
    That new iMac was the best "new" device they showed. Amazing.
  9. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Do you have an iMac already?
  10. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Agreed. That was a sweet little desktop. The price isn't bad at all. Odd since Apple loooves to jack its systems up on price, just because they are Apple.
  11. theogt

44,068 Messages
    1,226 Likes Received
    No, I would never own an Apple computer. I can't get past not using Windows.
  12. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    The new iMac is nice! My current iMac is 4 or 5 years old and was telling the wife it is time to replace it.
  13. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Hey I'm the opposite. I can get past using Windows. I prefer UNIX/Linux/OSX over any Windows environment.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,286 Messages
    4,602 Likes Received
    It's kind of funny as I really enjoy the Iphone and the older Ipod stuff from Apple but also would never own a mac computer.

I like the option of opening up my desktop PC and changing out parts and so on.

Sadly though now it seems like it might not be long before the desktop is phased out as it seems there is a big push to move towards lap tops and I HATE lap tops with a passion.
  15. theogt

44,068 Messages
    1,226 Likes Received
    I don't do anything cool enough to warrant something other than Windows, but basically I need Windows at home so that I can work remotely.
  16. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    You can do that with an iMac, it's just a bit harder. Changing out memory is the only thing that's is really easy with an iMac.
  17. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,318 Messages
    220 Likes Received
  18. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    The new iMac does not have a dvd drive. So they want it to be a big iPad with external device support?
  19. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    In fairness I think I've used my DVD-RW in my iMac like 10 times total
  20. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,565 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    My kids use it for watching movies. Not as often as they used to though. Also I do not like the idea of having to provide the drive if I wanted to reload the OS.