1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Archer: Camp Confidential: Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    By Todd Archer, ESPNDallas.com

Lots of info in this article, just posting a few highlights:

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Dez Bryant's dominance. No player has caught the eye more in training camp than Bryant, who is entering his fourth season.

2. Monte Kiffin puts stamp on defense. Kiffin is 73 years old, but he doesn’t act that way. On the first day of training camp, he implored the crowd to get loud to excite his defense.

3. Jason Garrett, walk-around coach. Offensive coordinator/assistant head coach Bill Callahan will call plays, freeing up Garrett to handle game situations and the entire team.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

The Cowboys lost five major components of their defense to injuries last year and had DeMarcus Ware playing with one healthy arm, which led to the dismissal of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Lee, Carter, Barry Church, Orlando Scandrick and Ware are healthy now, which will help a defense that has to get better at creating turnovers.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

On a team that has not made the playoffs the past three seasons, the Cowboys’ key pieces still look largely the same: Romo, Jason Witten, Ware, Ratliff and Miles Austin.

OBSERVATION DECK
    • If there was any worry about Ware’s recovery from offseason shoulder surgery and the move from outside linebacker to defensive end, they were calmed very early. Ware had a three-sack practice on the second day of camp and has given left tackle Tyron Smith fits.
    Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4710827/camp-confidential-dallas-cowboys-3
  2. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,747 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Having Romo, Witten, Ware, Ratliff and Austin is a reason for pessimism????? Okay.
  3. Cumart21

Cumart21 Active Member

314 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Which is exactly why I stopped reading the article. Terrible.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,012 Messages
    7,760 Likes Received
    It's got to be hard to keep these articles relevant when there are bloggers doing a more complete job without the word limitations and with better football backgrounds. I'm a fan of Archers (relative to his peers), but this is still just a shallow set of observations.
  5. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I think it is implied that the key pieces that Dallas has not had playoff success with are still the nucleus and are yet another year older.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,565 Messages
    2,432 Likes Received
    Yeah, he just mentioned three new key pieces in Dez, Lee, Carter, and could add Murray, Smith and maybe church. Then the fact that almost entire roster has turned over except those few he mentioned.
    Then he says the keys pieces or mostly the same.

Good grief
  7. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

820 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    exactly....like they're supposed to replace these players for the sake of it while still in their prime and productive. And how about adding of Lee, Carter, Claiborn, Carr, Dez, Tyron, etc.....these are key additions
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,561 Likes Received
    Dez? New Defense? Not to mention the contributions from Rat and Austin we nothing to get excited about.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,154 Messages
    4,601 Likes Received
    I like Archer. I think it's just getting difficult to write stuff in the current environment.