1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

Recap: Archer Chat: 4/17/14

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,936 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Spittin knowledge again I see.
    jobberone and casmith07 like this.
  2. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    I hate when people make statements like we got Frederick and Williams so it was a great trade! That's like saying I sold my mint condition 68 Camaro for $1 but then took that dollar and bought a lottery ticket and won a million bucks. So it was the smartest move ever! NO you made a bad deal and then you got lucky. Two separate things completely.
    daveferr33 likes this.
  3. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    Yep, they are separate events.
    Did they select good players with the picks they got? Yes.
    Did they get good value on the trade down? Absolutely not.
    Doomsay, daveferr33 and NJ22 like this.
  4. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    Reminds me of how Bill Polian was getting praised for drafting Edgerin James after trading Marshall Faulk to the Rams. Drove me nuts. He only got 2nd and 5th round pick for a future HOFer in his prime but it was ok because he used his top 5 pick on James??
  5. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

4,012 Messages
    712 Likes Received

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/pages/the-harvard-trade-value-chart

Here you go genius. This is the article I remember reading some time ago that says exactly what I posted. Straight from Stephen Jones' mouth that they use an updated trade chart that shows they hit the value right on with the trade. The old chart is not used these days because no one, except maybe the skins, is willing to give up the picks it takes to get up into the top 5. Draft picks are much more valued today then they were when Johnson created that chart and teams are unwilling to trade multiple high round picks these days just as I said. Everyone that criticized the trade was going off the old chart which showed them losing by a measly 80 points. That's nowhere near leaving a 2nd round pick on the board as has been suggested. That old chart was published many many years ago and journalists act like it is still the gospel but it isn't. Teams are now keeping and updating their own charts and are not releasing them to the public. They keep them private so as to try and gain an edge while trading. Information such as this is contained in books, magazines, newspapers, and websites. Maybe you should look into them instead of being a total a-hat on a message board.
    Proximo likes this.
  6. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,455 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    Yep..

You have to separate the myth-from the reality with this stuff..

..it's about building the team with quality players..

..not so much about the value of the pick and when or where they were selected.

I think we lose sight of the goal here for all the stats and the hype.

I just want to see steady selections and a plan being executed on and off the field.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

42,225 Messages
    6,206 Likes Received
    QFT

Some just want to stir the pot.

Couldn't say it better. You draft players to replenish the ones you are losing hoping to improve the roster. You need people to play. Parcells used to say he didn't care where a player came from or what pick they were. If they could play and stay out of the trainer's room he would use them.

How the hell you whine about getting two players like Fred and Williams with one pick is beyond me.
    cheftjpeck and dallasdave like this.
  8. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

4,875 Messages
    2,206 Likes Received
    Fred and Williams were a great deal. All by one one #1 pick. Two high quality players... Hey these guys are going to be a lot better this year, and both have a high ceiling.
    cheftjpeck likes this.
  9. tantrix1969

961 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    This is a joke trade chart right? Going by this if we trade our 16 to Cleveland's 26 we will get their 7th....
  10. Cowboys22

4,012 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    I don't like that chart either but I didn't post the article because of that chart. The article contains a quote from Stephen Jones stating that they have multiple charts that are updated and their charts showed the trade last year was even or a little in their favor. The point is that the old Jimmy Johnson trade chart is outdated and not used by the teams anymore yet people in the media still treat it as the gospel to criticize teams. There certainly was a time when that trade probably would have brought back a 2nd but those days are over because teams value draft picks much greater than in the past.
  11. tantrix1969

961 Messages
    448 Likes Received
    Ok gotcha, I agree that every teams trade chart would be constantly evolving depending on how they have the prospects valued year to year. I just find it a little funny that some people on here say we got good value then turn around and mock us trading down this year getting a 2nd
  12. Cowboys22

4,012 Messages
    712 Likes Received
    I would agree. I don't see anyway they trade down and get a 2nd unless they trade all the way out of the 1st round. The value to trade down from the teens into the 20's is now a 3rd. I suppose its possible to get more if someone like Manziel drops and 2 or 3 teams are bidding to move up but if there's only one team you're dealing with, it will be a 3rd round pick in a trade down.
  13. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me?

3,643 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Every teams chart is different, Jerry just likes to fill his out after the draft:confused:
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

56,042 Messages
    8,545 Likes Received
    You are in the majority. We were so overdue to right the ship and do biz the correct way. The ones not happy are the same ones who complain about us not signing a dozen free agents the first day of free agency.
  15. dallasdave

4,875 Messages
    2,206 Likes Received
    :confused::confused:
    I can't believe anyone on this board would stir the pot.
  16. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,480 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    The Frederick trade was a bad trade but a good pick.

The Claiborne trade was a great trade but a question mark on the talent evaluation.
  17. dallasdave

4,875 Messages
    2,206 Likes Received
    The Frederick trade was 2 good picks, Frederick and Williams