1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Archer: Could Saints make run at Anthony Spencer?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 6, 2013.

1. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Best case scenario is that someone overpays for him and Dallas gets a 3rd round comp pick for him.

Worst case scenario is that teams look at his tape and realize he doesn't beat OL for sacks, can't cover anyone and isn't an impact player. They pay him like the middling player he is and Dallas gets a 6th or 7th comp pick.
  2. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Peppers didn't walk, the panther were smart enough to franchise and trade him, which is what I want Jerry to do if he is smart. And yes Houston was stupid for not trading Williams.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    I think that if the offers were middle of the road type offers, the Cowboys would probably retain him and that would not be horrible. The issue with this player, at least in my book, is that he is not worth the contract he is reported to want. It's not that he's a terrible player. He is good and can be an asset but not to the tune of 8 to 10 Million a year IMO.
  4. sideon

sideon Active Member

213 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    Aren't the Saints in some cap trouble because of the contract they gave Brees?
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,906 Messages
    4,736 Likes Received
    Who are we talking about here? I thought this thread was about Spencer. Did I miss a direction change or something?
  6. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,222 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    For Spencer to be franchised, the entire tag must fit under the cap when applied, even if for a few days. Would the moves required to squeeze an additional 10+ million under the cap worth the trade?

And if Dallas can squeeze him under the cap, isn't it easier to sign him long term and lower the cap hit?
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,627 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    No one is going to give up a first for Spencer. Not at his age. I think we could get a late 2nd or early 3rd.

I'd do that. But of course, that means we absolutely need to draft a defensive end or find one in free agency. Opening a hole on the roster that will need to be addressed isn't my preferred option considering our needs elsewhere
  8. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    It could be done if the Cowboys were successful in re-signing Romo for a deal that is under the market value. That would allow them to make a move such as this. They could also do it by cutting Free and restructuring. There are ways to do it but do you want to do it is the question?

I don't see why the Cowboys would sign him to a deal they are not comfortable with now. The whole reason to do something like that would be to get value for the player after they have already decided that are not going to keep him I would imagine.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

34,370 Messages
    1,401 Likes Received
    A team like San Fran might. They would do it if they felt like he filled a needed void and because they have more picks then they no what to do with. They MIGHT do it, only because they feel like they are real close to a championship and they want to exploit that window.

Now, that's a lot of mights and generally, I agree with you. Probably not a lot of teams out there that would consider giving up a #1 for him. I would happily take a 2nd thou.