1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Archer: Cowboys' circus a tired act

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 5, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,037 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    Ringmaster Jerry Jones' play-calling sham makes Jason Garrett look like a clown

Updated: June 4, 2013, 7:10 PM ET
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Tuesday was one of those "only with the Dallas Cowboys" days.

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones implies offensive coordinator Bill Callahan will call plays in 2013. When Jones' comments are brought to Callahan not 25 minutes later, Callahan talks about the new responsibilities being an "honor."

"I'm flattered to be part of this and to take on the added responsibilities of calling the plays during the course of a game," Callahan said, holding a sandwich in one hand and a drink in the other.

And finally, the play-calling information is brought to coach Jason Garrett, who confirms nothing.

"We have a plan in place and continue to proceed," he said. "We just finished OTA Day 8 today, so that's what we're focused on and that's what we'll continue to focus on going forward. But we certainly have a plan. We've had a plan in place for some time."

It was all very Cowboys-ian.

Can there be any doubt as to why this franchise has won just one playoff game since 1996?

What happened Tuesday furthers the notion that Jones says and does what he wants no matter what it means for the head coach.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...alling-debacle-makes-jason-garrett-look-clown
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,453 Messages
    6,149 Likes Received
    This is pretty much exactly how I feel about how this went down.

I'm not even sure that Garrett isn't in favor of Callahan calling plays, but he certainly didn't want the story going down like this.

The end of his press conference yesterday is pretty funny, and telling of what the situation really is at the Ranch right now.
  3. VirusX

VirusX Active Member

1,392 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Hey we won two if you listen to Wade Philips! :D

In all honesty, I believe JG didnt want to release who was calling the plays so that teams game-planned against a JG style offense\play calling when Callahan would really give them a different flavor.... Now they can go back and pull Callahan's specs and plan for that.
  4. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    I read yesterday that Garrett actually said in the first press conference after they hired Callahan that his intention was for someone other than himself to call plays. Maybe the timing was Garrett's choice, maybe not, but it's incredible to me that Jerry Jones can't help himself with this stuff. What is so wrong with letting your coach talk about playcalling when he wants to talk about it?
  5. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,833 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Archer is a clown. I did not read the article but it is apparent that Archer has a shallow view.

Unfortunately for Garrett, and all the other past coaches, Jerry continues to create drama where none exists. Hopefully Garrett sticks to his plan in spite of Jerry.
  6. Idgit

30,453 Messages
    6,149 Likes Received
    The idea that the offensive changes actually have Garrett's blessing--much less that he might have instigated them--is not getting even short shrift. It's just getting dismissed outright.

I don't know what really happened, but I suspect Garrett was pretty closely involved with each of these decisions. Listening to he presser yesterday, he explicitly says why he didn't want the decision announced publicly (he also said we'll send scouts to watch other teams this year to sort out how they're handling play calling). He also made what I thought was a direct reference to the 'issue' being the difference between how he and how Jerry Jones choose to communicate information to the media. And he went back to the point he *always* makes in press conferences that the media (and by extension, the fans) have no stake in the matter. That his obligation is to make the best decisions for the Dallas Cowboys to help them win and that that's what he's going to do.

If you haven't seen the presser, anybody, I recommend it. He handled yet another unfortunate press situation really well, again.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,493 Messages
    3,803 Likes Received
    I like Archer and I can't find a good way to defend Jerry on this one. Garrett will handle it in his usual way and we'll move on. The only thing that is going to stop Jerry from talking is 6 feet of dirt.
  8. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,037 Messages
    5,513 Likes Received
    You didn't read the article, but Archer is a clown? Unless that's your overall opinion of him, how do you make that assessment without even knowing what all he wrote about the situation.

I actually think you agree with what he said. Jerry makes it hard for coaches, but JG didn't do himself any favors yesterday.
  9. Idgit

30,453 Messages
    6,149 Likes Received
    I like Archer, too. He's on a short list of local guys who do a decent or good job covering the Cowboys.
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,461 Messages
    395 Likes Received
    If this Organization had a GM or a Coach with a specific direction it would be a little more sane around here.
  11. Zimmy Lives

5,833 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Out of respect for you I read the article. Archer is still a clown. :D

Good or bad, Garrett has a plan. Everyone knows that some one will call the plays this fall and most believed it to be BC. The bottom line is: Who cares who calls the plays as long as they win. End of story.

Archer, and his story-monger brothers at ESPN, drive this news train. I liked Archer when he was at the DMN but he sold out and now generally reports gossip and dirt.

Yes, Jerry meddles but I seriously doubt it has anything to do with a lack of communication between owner/GM and HC. It just means Jerry has a big mouth. If Garrett wins everything will be right as rain and the media will find something else to scandalize, such as Fredrick's clean-shaven face. :p:
  12. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,403 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    I thought Archer and Taylor stated they would stop mentioning playoff droughts once we won? Of course, once we did, the narrative just became "one win since 1996."
  13. blandi60

blandi60 Member

59 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys:clown Archer a tired act
  14. Zimmy Lives

5,833 Messages
    980 Likes Received
    Side note: According to Fish (The Fan), ESPN's top story yesterday was the turmoil in Dallas concerning who is calling plays on offense, not the passing of the great Deacon Jones. How sad.
  15. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,868 Messages
    1,935 Likes Received
    Like I said, funny how nobody among Garrett fans were complaining when Jerry made Wade call plays as DC after only 1 and a half years of coaching by Brian Stewart, the firing following that season. Suddenly, it's an issue when Jason Garrett has been stinking up the joint for multiple years as OC.

Jason Garrett's been given so many oppurtunities, it's not even defensible.