1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Archer: Cowboys coaches, scouts get on same page

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 20, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    INDIANAPOLIS -- In an effort to avoid the miscommunication that led the Dallas Cowboys to pass on the fifth-ranked player on their board while holding the 18th pick in the first round in last year's draft, the defensive coaches spent the last two weeks discussing with the scouts the characteristics of the players they want in their 4-3 scheme.

Last year the Cowboys passed on Sharrif Floyd in part because he was not a fit for what Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli wanted in a defensive lineman. If that was the case, then Floyd should not have been rated so highly.

"That was unfortunate with Sharrif," executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "I don't want to single a guy out, but I think that can happen when you change a system. You move from what we were doing and we were so into that, and then all of a sudden you move to a 4-3 and you've got new coaches in the room and what they're trying to accomplish and that kind of slipped through the cracks a bit on us. It won't happen again."

More: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4724652/cowboys-coaches-scouts-get-on-same-page
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,273 Messages
    5,521 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    mcompact, Gaede and BigStar like this.
  3. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,122 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    So changing the type(s) of players and rankings on the draft board to fit the new scheme was too hard/complicated the first go round? This is the leadership of the team...
    stasheroo, unionjack8, Zordon and 3 others like this.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    That to me is what is absolutely an indication of dysfunction. They KNEW a good while before the draft that they were changing systems. They KNEW what they wanted as regards players for that system.

So WHY was a guy clearly not regarded by our DC and DL coach as a priority pick placed so high on our draft board?
    stasheroo, unionjack8, Zordon and 4 others like this.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    So we have terrible communication between our scouts and our coaches... Wonderful.
    stasheroo, Zordon and Carharris2 like this.
  6. DoctorChicken

DoctorChicken Well-Known Member

961 Messages
    995 Likes Received
    But will Jerral Wayne get on the same page as the scouts and coaches?
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Exactly. It's absolutely ridiculous. They had months to get with the new coaches and sort this out. Everyone at the high school level knows about quick one gap 43 defensive linemen vs bigger two gap 34 ones. How does it possibly happen that they don't get together and get on the same page?

Between this and the whole Garrett/Jerry dynamic on playcalling and hiring coaches, you wonder if people at Valley Ranch even talk to each other.

But also, I have to ask... Archer has told us for years that Garrett would have everyone on the same page. What happened with that?
  8. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    So is he saying if they had it to do over they would draft Floyd?
    Carharris2 and jobberone like this.
  9. Alexander

25,273 Messages
    5,521 Likes Received
    We had it last year. Unforgiveable and directly responsible for the problems we had on defense.

If what McClay is saying actually is something he addresses it should be corrected. What makes me chuckle is that it actually takes them acknowledging now it was a problem when last year is was evident if you actually paid attention.
    stasheroo and TheFinisher like this.
  10. Alexander

25,273 Messages
    5,521 Likes Received
    He is not capable of getting on the same page because he lacks his own eye for talent.

But he listens.

To everyone.

Unfortunately.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    No. In the article, it basically said he may have been ranked differently.
    jobberone likes this.
  12. iowast8rs

iowast8rs Well-Known Member

928 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Did they find out about the hire the morning of the draft?! Beyond stupidity.
    TheFinisher and BigStar like this.
  13. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,417 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    He is saying he would not have been rated so highly. He is saying a 1 tech is easier to find later in the draft for our system than a quick-twitch 3 tech. He tips his hand a bit there that the focus may be on a player like Aaron Donald (quick-twitch 3 tech DT) in the 1st round over other DTs. The one we have (Hatcher) will definitely be out if we can address that. If we don't, and with the cap increase, I think the chances of keeping Hatcher go up. I'm not a fan of big contracts for aging DL, but our chances of success next season go up a lot with a good 3 tech, and go down a lot with a question there.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,122 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Just the fact that this is in the media is wrong on many levels but he also insinuated fault onto Kiffin. I'm not a fan of Kiff but to act as if the organization couldn't "adapt" because of a new scheme in terms of reorganizing their draft chart is insulting.
  15. TheFinisher

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    It concerns me that they still undervalue the 1-tech position after what we experienced last year. With what we have at that position, you don't get that privilege. If there's a stud 1-tech sitting there we better not pass on him because he's not a 3. Just more stupidity from this front office.
    unionjack8 likes this.
  16. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,868 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I'm not going to complain when dysfunction got us exactly what we needed in the first round last year. 2 years ago is another story.
    alicetooljam, Wheeltax and jobberone like this.
  17. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Poor Kiff. Jerry should have hired him to read bedtime stories rather than as DC. This is what he gets for listening to Larry Lacewell.
    unionjack8, Bullflop and BigStar like this.
  18. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,417 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    That stud 1 tech that could be there is Louis Nix III, Notre Dame. 6-2, 342 pounds. It would be an interesting scenario to have him on the board, as if the Cowboys are playing for Aaron Donald, they would probably like to trade down a bit just like they did with Frederick and Spencer. Yet Nix is great value there at 16 by most accounts. I hope they draft Nix in that situation.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  19. TheFinisher

2,513 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    Nix could be 1, but I think he may be too much of a 3-4 NT. I was thinking more like a player like Jernigan who could possibly be a 3-tech but looks like he could be a stud at 1-tech in this scheme.
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,128 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    Sorry, but that's just a ridiculous excuse. There's no way you can miss on evaluating a player like Floyd for your new system. He's one of only a handful of guys you might realistically consider for your *1st* round pick. "It won't happen again" doesn't come close to cutting it. I don't even understand how it's possible that the team could spend the money and time they spent preparing for the most important team-builidng event of the season and whiff on the evaluation of a player at a position of relative need in the very first round without heads rolling. *That* level of miscommunication or dysfunction among the scouts, coaches, and team management is unexplainable.