1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Archer: Cowboys' Twitter mailbag, Part 2

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 17, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,910 Likes Received
    IRVING, Texas -- Part 2 of the Dallas Cowboys' Twitter mailbag is ready for you. If you want to read Part 1, click here.

Away we go:

[IMG]
    RobertWyman91
    @RobertWyman91

@toddarcher do you think Boys cut Austin, Orton, and Free? Might hurt team now but could be beneficial in long run #cowboysmail
    Feb. 14, 2014

@toddarcher: I can see two of the three not being back for different reasons, but I don’t know why you want to cut Doug Free. He played well enough in 2013 after a poor 2012. Maybe you look for his replacement in the draft, but I don’t think you cut him. I don’t know if Jermey Parnell can be a full-time player. As for Miles Austin, the writing sure seems on the wall. Kyle Orton is an intriguing situation. He will count a lot against the cap, so the Cowboys will likely have to restructure his contract. If they don’t, then they would save about $1 million from cutting him. And there is this: does he want to continue to play?

@Albert_Adame_
    @toddarcher with teams like saints/lions cutting players in recent days, could we expect similar moves from the cowboys soon? #cowboysmail
    Feb. 14, 2014

@toddarcher: The Cowboys generally aren’t in a rush to do these things. They don’t have to really do it until free agency begins, but I think you’ll see them start making some moves after they return home from the NFL scouting combine. If that is the way it goes down, then to me it means the Cowboys want to talk to the agents for players like Austin, DeMarcus Ware, Justin Durant, Orton and just about anybody else before making their moves. All of the agents are in Indianapolis, so it makes for a one-stop shop kind of place.

@mayur_patel_91
    @toddarcher do you think JJ Wilcox could be an answer at FS? People seem to forget that he's played safety for only 2 years #cowboysmail
    Feb. 14, 2014

@toddarcher: Just to clear something up: in the Cowboys’ system, Barry Church is listed as the free safety. Now on to the question: Yes, J.J. Wilcox could be a possibility there. You make a good point on how little of the position he has actually played. Wilcox has the right attitude. He has the athletic ability. He can make plays in front of him. I want to see him work better in space. He struggled when the field was spread out. You always hear people say you need time to grade drafts. Sometimes I’ll agree with that. I wouldn’t be ready to get rid of Wilcox or think he cannot develop, but he did not do enough as a rookie to say, ‘He’s the guy. We’re good at safety.’ If the Cowboys can find a player they believe is an upgrade, then there is no doubt they should do it.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4724488/cowboys-twitter-mailbag-part-2-4
  2. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,167 Messages
    265 Likes Received

Jermey Parnell and Darrion Weems might end up playing for one spot on the roster this summer if the team adds an offensive tackle during the draft in May.

If it's over, so be it, I'll understand.

I'd rather see Miles Austin accept a big pay cut, if offered, and remain with Dallas at least one more season.

I don't think anything needs to be done about Kyle Orton's cap number.

If Orton is released, the Cowboys will save his base salary, $3.25M, but only save $0.500K against the cap as a regular release after adding a new player to replace him under the top 51. So the team would probably use the June designation instead, they would carry Orton's $4.3775M cap number until June and then get credited $3.25M at that time (Orton and Austin would net $7.76M in June after 2 players replace them).

But Jason Garrett has always wanted a veteran back-up quarterback and Tony Romo is returning from back surgery, so I don't see Orton getting released.

If Orton decides he's ready to retire, that's his choice.

And while I don't think they'd do anything, the team would have the option to ask Orton to repay them his remaining signing bonus money ($3.3825M) if he retires.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,565 Messages
    5,486 Likes Received
    Where I come from that is called wishful thinking.
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

3,167 Messages
    265 Likes Received

It is.

Some in the media feel the team has decided Miles Austin is no longer worth the bother.

If true, it's certainly understandable.

If Austin is cut loose, what kind of money can he expect to command on the open market?

More than the minimum on a one year deal?

Would it be more than what Dallas could offer in a pay cut (say $1.5M)?

It's a moot point if the Cowboys and/or Austin want to say goodbye, but I can live with the injury risk at the lower salary and WR depth would be in a much better place.
  5. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    Haven't seen or heard anything good about Parnell. He was offered Free' job and it's not likely he get's another chance like that. See Selvie.
  6. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,138 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    For sure..

These guys don't really want to play for 30% of their former salaries.

Nor in encentive laden deals followed by being replaced within another season or two.

Ain't going to happen.
  7. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Why wouldn't you just cut bait with Austin? He is a progress stopper at this point. I can kind of understand begging Ware to take a pay cut, but not a guy like Austin.
  8. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    Ware has never made more than 7.8m in any season. His base salary was 6m last year. The 12.25m number is just a made up number that made his contract look better. Dallas is under no obligation to pay him another dollar. If he was still performing as the best DE in the game and the DE market kept rising, Dallas had him under contract for 2-4 more years. Since that's not the case, it's time for a new deal.