1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: Archer:Cowboys waive DT Stewart

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Sep 14, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Cowboys waive DT Stewart

Praised by Parcells in training camp, veteran is waived

09:03 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 14, 2004

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Defensive tackle Daleroy Stewart, whom coach Bill Parcells said in training camp could be a dominant player, was waived Tuesday to make room for fellow defensive tackle Leonardo Carson.

Carson was suspended for last Sunday's game by the NFL for violating the league's personal conduct policy but was back at the Valley Ranch facility Monday.

Because of league rules, Carson was not allowed to be with the team last week and spent his time at a local gym. He watched Sunday's loss at Minnesota on television.

"I worked out for two hours a day trying to stay in some sort of football shape," Carson said. "I didn't want to get out of sync."

The recent acquisition of Chris Cooper from Oakland left Stewart vulnerable to a possible move. After seeing no action in his first two years with the Cowboys, Stewart played in 15 games in 2003 and had 17 tackles and 1 ½ sacks, but he failed to improve upon a solid off-season during training camp.

The Cowboys have four defensive tackles on the roster with Carson, La'Roi Glover, Chad Eaton (who replaced Carson in the starting lineup Sunday) and Cooper.

New DT ready to play: Newly acquired defensive tackle Chris Cooper said he will be available to play Sunday against Cleveland, but he will need some time to adjust to his new team.

"It's real exciting to come to a defense that was No. 1 last year compared to coming from the last-ranked defense," said Cooper, who was acquired from Oakland on Saturday.

Cooper, who was bothered in training camp by a calf injury, said he was aware a trade was possible when his repetitions were cut down in practice. Last year, Cooper had 49 tackles and 2 ½ sacks. The NFL fined him three game checks for testing positive for the designer steroid THG.

Rookie may be needed: Because of the uncertain status of right guard Andre Gurode and center Tyson Walter, who suffered knee injuries against Minnesota, the Cowboys might have to activate rookie guard Ben Noll on Sunday vs. Cleveland.

The Cowboys claimed Noll off waivers from St. Louis after the final cuts. He practiced with the team only last week, but coach Bill Parcells liked what he saw in Noll during the Rams' preseason.

"He's pretty smart, so I think he'll know the system," Parcells said. "We're going to have to work him some this week for sure."

Briefly: The Cowboys added offensive lineman Thomas Herrion to the practice squad and let go cornerback Lenny Williams. Herrion, who was one of the Cowboys' last cuts, was needed to supply depth with injuries to Andre Gurode and Tyson Walter.
  2. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Figured Stewart's days were numbered when we had so many problems with the interior line that preseason game he started over Carson. Don't know what happened to all the Training Camp hype but he never showed a damn thing in preseason.
  3. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,907 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    Exactly. Why all the hype then?
  4. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Parcells was even the one who started it. I seem to recall Parcells mentioning Stewart along with Coleman as two of his favorite unheralded linemen. I think Peter King even put in one of his articles to watch out for Stewart, didn't he?
  5. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

5,121 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    I would say it has to do with personell management,,, some employees respond to praise while others respond more to the crack of the whip. If you don't respond to either,,, well.
  6. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Tuna did start it.

And building up a player publically is not typical of him.

Either it was a relatively liitle used motivational tactic, or Stewart did look promising, then crashed and burned.

I guess another option is Bill's gone senile. If so, I expect to see him shortly with Juke99, on that park bench feeding pigeons, with pencils sticking out of their ears.
  7. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nah, I picture the older senile Parcells going out the way Michael Corleone did in The Godfather Part III. Just sitting on some wooden chair in the front of his house and then collapsing. He'll be coaching until they have to drag him out of the stadium. :p
  8. lzppjb

lzppjb New Member

343 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Maybe he wanted to try to get someone to bite on a trade for Stewart?
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,803 Messages
    430 Likes Received
    Let's see, who has Tuna hyped this past offseason?

Stewart - cut

Powell - cut

BJames - not terribly impressive, but not terrible either

Tucker - turnstile in 2nd half on Sunday

Walter - has played well

Coleman - hasn't done a thing yet

Romo - one good performance all preseason

You've got to wonder if Parcells is losing his marbles. We need to bring in a real personnel guy to help him and Jerry out. Either that, or he is just lying to us and the media about who is doing well.
  10. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,918 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    To think how many players we had sitting on our roster for years waiting for them to develop. Parcells is clearing them out quickly. This guy fell from grace almost as fast as Wiley
  11. Pooz

Pooz New Member

259 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd rather have cut WIley's no sack ability azz. 4 million a year! :confused:
  12. lkelly

lkelly Well-Known Member

2,053 Messages
    200 Likes Received
    I think he was hyping up Stewart after seeing what kind of shape he came into camp in. The guy was lean and mean. Unfortunately, that didn't mean he could play.

The churning of the roster is pretty incredible. It isn't a good sign, though, when it carries on into the season. Guys who are available off the street aren't players you typically win with.
  13. NOVA 22

NOVA 22 Member

345 Messages
    0 Likes Received

The Noll quote from BP would have impressed me a few weeks ago, but praise of players lately has meant they get cut (see: Mitchell, Powell, Stewart)