1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Archer (ESPN): Romo Perception Isn't Reality

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BIGDen, Dec 14, 2012.

1. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,367 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    Tony Romo perception isn't reality
    Todd Archer [ARCHIVE]

ESPNDallas.com | December 14, 2012
    IRVING, Texas -- There was a time when the end of the regular season was not kind to Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, and that has helped shape the narrative of his December woes.

The Cowboys are 2-0 in December for the first time with Tony Romo at quarterback.
    The low point might have been a 44-6 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles in the 2008 regular-season finale, one of the worst collapses in franchise history.

But the beginning of the fall can be traced back to Dec. 7, 2008, at Pittsburgh. Romo was intercepted three times that day. DeShea Townsend returned one pick 25 yards for the decisive score in the fourth quarter of a 20-13 loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field.

Romo will see the Steelers for the first time since that game Sunday at Cowboys Stadium with a playoff spot hanging in the balance. But he is not that December quarterback anymore, even if many don't want to recognize the change.

So much of the discussion regarding Romo is about what he hasn't done or can't do that the narrative differs from the actual facts.

Let's look at one: Romo is terrible in the fourth quarter. In reality, Romo has the NFL's highest fourth-quarter passer rating in league history at 102.6.This season his passer rating in the final quarter is 105.1, which is fourth best in the league behind Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning.

http://m.espn.go.com/wireless/story?storyId=8745393
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,959 Messages
    5,613 Likes Received
    He's a Super Bowl winning caliber QB who has been failed by his lunatic owner.

The lazy evaluation is to just assume he isn't a winner. Look closely at it. He's the last problem this team has.
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,985 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    /End Thread.
  4. BIGDen

4,367 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    Amen. If I had a dollar for every time I've said that the perception of Romo is so far from reality I'd be rich.
  5. crashintonickdm

crashintonickdm Active Member

701 Messages
    144 Likes Received
  6. BIGDen

4,367 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    I posted this in the news zone. It's nice to see an article like this. Darn those facts that just kill the moronic perception.
  7. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not a Romo-hater, but he was a HUGE part of the problem early in the season. Nobody can deny that. You also can't excuse his picks with the o-line. It's the same o-line (Maybe worse) now that we had in the beginning.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,962 Messages
    1,690 Likes Received
    That Bears loss was ugly. Then again, that Giants win on the road was pretty sweet.
    He did have a funky start though, even if you say aboout half his picks have been freaky this year, its still more than I exepcted after last seasons' 30/10 ratio.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Oline play is a big part of it, differance is Romo was trying to do to much as he said and now doing better about not taking the same risk as often.

When your moving around as he does and trying to get the pass off mistakes will happen that is why teams invest in defensive players who can apply pressure to force mistakes by the opposing QB. However Romo has to know when to take the risk and when to live to play another down.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    No, he wasn't.
  11. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, the 5 picks against Chicago and the fact he led the league in interceptions at 1 point is everyone else's fault, right? :rolleyes:
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,193 Messages
    1,814 Likes Received
    people who know i am a cowboys fan ask me all the time, stuff like, whats wrong with romo or when will the cowboys get a real QB or you guys need to draft a real QB or that romo is a choker and cant get things done expecting me to roll my eyes and agree with them

when i tell them that i could not disagree with them more, they are constantly shocked because the narrative with the general public is all of the above
  13. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    Some of those were on him some were on WR who did not make the proper adjustment and in the Chicago game a ball that hit Ogletree in the chest bounced in the air and was picked off.

If the QB is throwing to a spot where he expect the WR to be and the WR does not run the rout who should really take the blame?

If the ball bounced off the WR chest and into the hands of the defense was that really on the QB?

It was mentioned in the bears game that the stats would say the QB had 5 ints but the reality is not all were his fault.

Some others were and 1 late in the game when Dallas was well behind trying to come back really was meaningless since the only way you come back at that point is by taking the big risk because dinking and dunking at that stage is not going to help you win the game.
  14. DFWJC

21,962 Messages
    1,690 Likes Received
    As few as one and as many as three.
  15. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    I can think of 3 on Romo with the last one being a pass where he tried to squeeze it to the WR down the sideline to make a big play but then at that point of the game you have to take the chance since 5 yard dinks is not going to do the trick, heck the game is lost unless you can hit some big plays down the field.

Hell with stats at that point you are just trying to do whatever you can and the defense knows it
  16. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,604 Messages
    179 Likes Received
    No doubt the guy was in a serious funk.

I find myself questioning why he wasn't benched in that Bears Game.

I still wouldn't call him a huge part of problem early in the season.
  17. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    He's been playing a lot better since I've stopped believing in him

So I guess I'll keep that going... BRING ON HIS REPLACEMENT!
  18. DFWJC

21,962 Messages
    1,690 Likes Received
    Yeah, they dug a big hole and helped in doing it.

What gets me, is that in a 16 game season, even the best players will have a couple of really crappy games. it's just some of our fans (I'm not really saying Rynie is one) won't let those games go....ever. It's like they count as 4-5 loses each instead of just one loss in 16 games. And then the good games maybe 1/2 of a win.:laugh2:
  19. Doomsday101

75,087 Messages
    1,623 Likes Received
    I agree, Romo is not without fault but looking at some of the big name QB's they have had their share of stinkers and just as the case with Romo not all the ints are on them.

Stats are great but stats do not tell you that a ball bounced in and out of the hands of the WR into the DB hand all it shows is int. It does not show when a QB is expecting the WR to run a stop rout yet he takes off on a go rout leaving the QB hanging or a WR stopping on a slant rout and anyone who know a darn thing about football knows that QB has to release the ball before the break or else it allows the time for the CB to come back on the ball.

As has been said many times by many coaches QB's get way too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses. As important as the QB is he relys so much on others to do their jobs
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,598 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Exactly.