1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Archer - Jones: Cowboys can compete for Super Bowl

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Feb 23, 2014.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,464 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    were so close i can taste it
    DoctorChicken and BoysFan4ever like this.
  2. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,562 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    I know exactly what he is trying to sell. What does that have to do with what I suggested for him to say. It also sells hope and everything else without going over the top with his statements. Were all versed with what Jerry does this time of year and he thinks we haven't caught on. Hope is lost with his yearly blank statements. Hope is lost with him as the GM. You turned a topic about his choice of words into a financial one, which has nothing to do with my take.
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Its that time of year again. Even the Koolaid man has escaped from the sugar factory known as "reality". Only a few months before the usual 12-4 or 13-3 prediction.
  4. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    I want him to continue talking so he can completely expose the slimy underbelly. Stephen as well. Keep it up, boys. We need the real goods here.
  5. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    lol.

Jerry Jones knows his message doesn't entice everyone. He also knows the market for selling his message is not limited strictly to "those who have caught on." It is something which has been practiced throughout human history. If you're a good salesperson, there will always be exponentially more people willing to abide what you're selling than those who will refuse it. Jones is a good salesman.
  6. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,413 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    That ship sailed many years ago. That slimy underbelly is overexposed.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  7. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,619 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    No, there is still more. Unfortunately.
  8. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,413 Messages
    362 Likes Received
    Read what I added on edit
  9. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    Jerry's right; we really can "compete" for the Super Bowl -- it's just that we don't stand a chance of getting there.
  10. 50cent

50cent Well-Known Member

2,562 Messages
    378 Likes Received
    Let me clarify "we haven't caught on" in regards to his hope. It encompasses his hope, his evaluation of what a SB teams looks like, his ability to draft well enough to field a SB caliber squad, his ability to sign FAs to compliment quality draftees to help build a SB type roster.

In some shape even his biggest supports feel he's lacking in some of these areas. Great marketer, Terry Bell GM. it's easy for me to seperate the two identities of this man. It's just as easy for me to go to a cowboys game (supporting Jerry's bottom line) and enjoying watching some of my favorite players with full knowledge that we have no chance in hell to win or compete for a SB.
  11. DallasEast

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    Okay. Maybe I got it the first time. Let me try again...

You believe that Jones does not already know that some have caught on to "..his hope. It encompasses his hope, his evaluation of what a SB teams looks like, his ability to draft well enough to field a SB caliber squad, his ability to sign FAs to compliment quality draftees to help build a SB type roster"? Is that so? If true, I will re-affirm what I stated earlier.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    Defense better do a complete 180 if we are to have a snowballs chance in hell. Dallas can score and have some good weapons on offense and with the emergence of the OL then sure Dallas could but not without a solid defense
  13. DallasEast

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    The 180 will begin to take shape only if the front office addresses the defensive line and addresses it hard. I was proud of the final offensive line product in 2013, but they are still a solid guard away from being dominant. And that's only if Doug Free maintains or improves his level of play.
  14. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    DL is critical I agree with Ware situation and Hatcher and Spencer up in the air we really have little on the DL currently. Unlike Jerry I don't predict SB but I know we have an offense that can put up points but we need a defense that can help carry the load.
  15. DallasEast

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    Agreed. There are valid best player available concerns when it comes to Dallas drafting, but there should be serious thought and input if quality defensive linemen can be had without reaching this May. The defense must re-discover some semblence of an adequate, week-to-week pass rush.

The pass rush was particularly embarrassing with what we fielded against New Orleans, Chicago and Green Bay. I had seats nine rows up behind the Dallas bench in the Superdome. What I saw from the defensive line close up and personal against Brees was sickening.
  16. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    One thing which I hope they are able to do is change up how they get the players ready with conditioning, the injuries on defense have been killers. Our DL was to be Ware, Hatcher, Ratliff and Spencer but we had backups and guys off the streets coming in on Monday and playing on Sunday. Really 1 week and you go from living room watching to playing? I commend Rod Marinelli, sure the DL was over matched but he had those guys playing hard and even was able to develop a guy like Selvie in the process. Yeah we need help in the draft and hopefully some affordable players in FA that at least gives Marinelli more to work with.
  17. DallasEast

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    I would like seeing the ratio of new defensive linemen blood favor draftees than free agents. Marinelli knows how to motivate and squeeze the most out of his players. I think he would get more out of younger guys.
  18. Doomsday101

77,119 Messages
    2,909 Likes Received
    I agree I just don't think we will be able to get enough quality on DL in the draft I would love to see us get a couple of top ranked DL players in the draft but I think some additions may come from FA with players Marinelli is comfortable with. With DL is is not just the starters it is the roatation
  19. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,752 Messages
    2,402 Likes Received
    This is just getting sad at this point..............................forget the Super Bowl, how about a winning season Jerry. You remember what those were, back in the days before your trained monkey took over.

Just one dam winning season, how about we start with that.
    Doomsay likes this.
  20. Crazed Liotta Eyes

Crazed Liotta Eyes Member

47 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    At this point, has there ever been a major American sports owner who is as despised by the team's own fans as Jerry? Wow, just wow on the venom that spews here every time he opens his mouth and I'm not saying it's wrong. The only one I can think of is the Clippers owner in the NBA but he's hated for different reasons and isn't nearly as public as Jerry. I'm on board with just shutting his mouth until the team actually accomplishes something. Talking about competing for the Super Bowl every year is just ridiculous.