1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: Archer: Think Skinned need not apply

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by chicago JK, Aug 5, 2004.

1. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,646 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Notebook: Thin-skinned need not apply

Position coach gives receivers much more than he gets in return

By MATT MOSLEY / DallasNews.com

OXNARD, Calif. – Todd Haley is the Don Rickles of the Cowboys coaching staff.

Haley, who replaced receivers coach John McNulty in the off-season, doles out insults with rapid-fire precision.

Coach Bill Parcells said earlier this week that Haley, 37, is one of the reasons he doesn't feel compelled to control practices anymore. The two worked together with the New York Jets and they share a biting wit.

"I don't want sensitive guys," said Haley, who spent the last three seasons with the Chicago Bears. "If they can't handle me, then how are they going to handle pressure in a game?"

Not even veteran receiver Keyshawn Johnson, a player who has a strong relationship with Haley, is safe.

When Johnson went through a drill Monday at half-speed, Haley said: "Big, strong receiver my [expletive]."

He seems to pick a new target each day. Haley threatened to fight Zuriel Smith after the receiver shot him a dirty look, and he's constantly apologizing to rookie Patrick Crayton for throwing the ball too hard. Crayton, who grew up in DeSoto, said Haley's profanity-laced insults actually inspire him.

Asked how that could be, Crayton said, "It makes me work harder. I'll know I'm in trouble when he stops."

On Thursday, Haley needled Cedric James after he dropped a pass during a four-cone drill that forces receivers to make sharp cuts.

"You ought to be out at the beach, Cedric!" Haley shouted. "You look so good, you could just prance up and down the beach all day!"

Haley's four-cone drill has become a must-see in what are generally monotonous practices. "I love that drill," he said. "All I'm trying to do is break their concentration. I find out what bothers them, and I go from there."

So far, his best line of camp came after rookie receiver Terrance Copper dropped two passes.

"Terrance, if my kids have to go to college on you, I'm in big trouble."

Hometown team says no: The Cowboys are not interested in adding Tim Brown, a former Woodrow Wilson and Notre Dame standout, who was released by the Oakland Raiders after 16 seasons.

Brown, 38, had expressed hopes in previous years of playing for the Cowboys. He is the NFL's third all-time leader in catches (1,070) and second in receiving yards (14,734).

"Not right now, I wouldn't think," coach Bill Parcells said when asked if the Cowboys would want Brown. "That's one of the great players now. I remember the day he came out in the draft, he was the No. 1 player on our draft board."

Turning back the calendar: The Cowboys will wear replicas of their jerseys from 1960-63 for the Thanksgiving game against the Chicago Bears.

For the first time in 41 years, the Cowboys will wear a white helmet with a blue star. The blue uniform will be worn with white pants. The team had been using the double-star throwback from the 1990s in recent years on Thanksgiving.

Briefly: Fullback Jamar Martin laid out linebacker Dat Nguyen with a block during inside running drills, prompting Bill Parcells to shout, "Watch out, Dat. It's dangerous over there." ... Safety Darren Woodson, who had back surgery last week, is expected to arrive in Oxnard, Calif., today.
  2. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Haley was not like this in NY. Perhaps in Chicago he got more vociferous, but with Bill and the Jets he was not known as anything but the club rat and the guy who got his job thru nepotism (his dad being long time FO player personnel director, and exec, Dick Haley, who Bill kept on when he took over. )

Todd Haley walked into a scouting job and very quickly was elevated to receivers coach. When he had Key, he looked competent. When he lost Key, it was Dan Henning who designed a way to maintain the offense - Richie Anderson, 88 receptions. I suppose Todd got as much out of a 1-2 duo of Chrebet and Ward as he could, but Wayne, like Keyshawn, also took a great deal of responsibility for improving himself.

I read Haley's reviews were mixed in Chicago. But Bill wanted him again, so be it.

One thing seems obvious from the Haley quotes this past week is that tho all the receivers are getting some flack, Todd has taken on the Tuna philosophy of tailoring the message to the player. And that is kinda impressive, in light of his NY performance.

With Key, with whom he has a prior and close relationship, it's all bombast and agate smashing. Name calling. With AB it's the "don't do that to yourself, you can do better than that" approach. With Terry it was (this week) much milder criticism with a backhanded complement "If even #83 starts dopping passes, I'm in for a long day". (Smart, Todd, smart.)

What he can actually teach in technique to the young guys remains to be seen, but he sure seems light years more competent than he did in NY where he was roundly despised by the players in the Al Groh year.
  3. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,693 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    HAHA great quotes from Haley and that last one from Parcells...

Haley is getting more attention than any of the coaches... seems like a really good coach.

Just the sound of the name "Todd Haley" makes me piss my pants
  4. JBell523

3,693 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    Good post LaTuna, that was very imformative

My god your like a Cowboys encyclopedia, only in a woman's body
  5. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,246 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    That sounds like JJ speak. BP's been around JJ too much lately?
  6. Tio

Tio Armchair QB

5,125 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Wow, our team is full of hard *****...
  7. dargonking999

dargonking999 DKRandom

11,825 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    man i cant wait till MINN so we can starrt showin teams that we are u here to lay some people OUT:D!!!!!!!
  8. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Gee, uhh, thanks.

I think :eek:

But I'm only a Cowboys encyclo because Tuna is turning this team into the "Dallas Jets".

Another year of Vinnie.

:rolleyes: Geez.
  9. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,748 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    For the first time in 41 years, the Cowboys will wear a white helmet with a blue star. The blue uniform will be worn with white pants. The team had been using the double-star throwback from the 1990s in recent years on Thanksgiving.

God I hate this crap. I understood when it was the 75th anniversary in 1994 but give it a rest already. The Cowboys have one of the most classic uniforms in all of sports, Don't mess with perfection!
  10. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

20,922 Messages
    2,033 Likes Received
    LOL. Not sure you wanna use that description in any personal ads(if it ever came to that). :)

I work with a company full of New Yawkers so they love this Dallas Jets crap. I hear it EVERYDAY. I got about 20 calls today to see if I had hired Quincy Carter, the blankety-blanks. lol.

It probably didnt help that I wore my Roy Williams jersey up to NYC for the new project meetings.
  11. JBell523

3,693 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    Did a little research and found this..

LaTuna's yahoo personals profile:

Full Name: LaTuna Nostra (it's spanish)
    Sex: Female
    What others say about me: Some might tell you that I'm like a cowboys encyclopedia because I am very wise.
    Interests: Men, Dallas Cowboys, Terry Glenn
    Hobbies: Dallas Cowboys, Terry Glenn