1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Archer: What should Cowboys do with Carr?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    What should Cowboys do with Carr?
    February, 19, 2014
    Feb 19
    10:00
    AM ET
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- In the 2012 offseason, Cortland Finnegan and Brandon Carr were the top two cornerbacks in the free agency market.

[IMG]
    Carr
    The St. Louis Rams signed Finnegan to a five-year, $50 million deal. The Dallas Cowboys signed Carr to a six-year, $60 million deal that voided to five years. The Cowboys wanted the extra year on to help them spread out the cap hit when they restructured his contract in 2013.

There have been recent reports that the Rams will cut Finnegan if he does not take a substantial paycut.
    It's a tool every team uses to create space. The Cowboys will use it this offseason on Tony Romo and Sean Lee to pick up space. They could create more space by restructuring Carr's contract, but would it be worth it?

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas-cowboys/post/_/id/4724614/what-should-cowboys-do-with-brandon-carr
  2. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,457 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I dont see Dallas doing anything to Carr, other than restructure his contract to create some space, but he will be starting CB barring injury.
  3. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    Answer: Restructure his contract and nothing else. Next question.
    brymatt94 and StarBoyz83 like this.
  4. Alexander

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    Shouldn't they see what the Rams do with Finnegan? I mean, everyone is thinking that Suggs' deal has some impact on Ware.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    What a horrific mistake it was to sign this guy.
    Galian Beast and Floaty like this.
  6. Alexander

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    Seemed like a good player but entirely too much money.

It was compounded by taking (and giving up what we did) for Claiborne. We just were bound and determined to take cornerbacks in that offseason and it was overkill.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,790 Messages
    5,202 Likes Received
    Dude was terrible last season.
    Galian Beast and Floaty like this.
  8. Alexander

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    He had some moments where he looked like a quality starter, then a lot of other times where you wonder what he was thinking. Must have been old man Kiffin. That's it.
    FuzzyLumpkins likes this.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Not so much overkill as it was poor value.

Mo is a heck of a young CB and any team in football would have gladly taken him at 6.
    Any team would gladly take him now but no one is giving us pick 6 for him.
    Hopefully his value changes this year.

They knew they were overpaying Carr.
    Paying Carr what you did then not providing any safety help over the top was lunacy. His style is reliant upon pressing guys and winning in phone booths.
    He cant chase people.
  10. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    It's too bad he can't get pregnant. He could have at least gotten child support out of Calvin Johnson.
    Wolf2k5, Nirvana, ologan and 4 others like this.
  11. Alexander

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    To be fair, Johnson has raped so many corners that if they were women, he would be Antonio Cromartie.

Carr got violated by Brandon Marshall as well. He just was not able to step up to the level of a quality number one wide out.
  12. Risen Star

21,481 Messages
    8,381 Likes Received
    True.

Hey, maybe we signed him to keep Calvin from getting 400 yards receiving in that game.

Between this and the coin flip, I'm feeling pretty chesty about the Cowboys right now. We're back.
  13. Alexander

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    He said he was "trying to do too much" later in the year after Marshall whipped him as well. But after that game he was talking like our head coach saying how he "battled him".
  14. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,600 Messages
    3,858 Likes Received
    He was the 59th rated CB last year and was poor against the pass. He did well not getting penalties.

To be fair to him he isn't being used as they'd like and playing to his strengths. He is a physical corner who needs to play near the LOS and have good safety play behind him. Since we don't they had to play way too much zone and we got killed because too many people didn't know how to play it (or much else).

If we stay relatively healthy this year then we might see a better player. We need a couple of guys up front in the draft plus getting someone back, another LB who can cover, a safety from Safety Leasing Inc., and a CB or three.
  15. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,730 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Eh. He had his struggles. I don't think he was horrible relative to the field. Just horrible relative to the contract.

I haven’t watched the film, but I do recall a few dominant performances among the stinkers. All in all, he gave up about 900 yards, but I was surprised to learn that he only gave up 3 TDs this season and had an opp passer rating of 84.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Fans only recall losses. He was stellar many weeks and of course abysmal a few others.
    He played very well versus the NFCE.

He was awful versus Marshall and CJ... probably because they are both significantly bigger, stronger and faster but I am just guessing.
  17. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,457 Messages
    185 Likes Received
    I think Finnegan gets cut, I believe Carr has out played Finnegan thus far. Carr hasnt lived up to his contract but I dont think he hasn't played that bad. Lets get a better pass rush and then see how the secondary does.
  18. Alexander

24,629 Messages
    4,891 Likes Received
    At least the Rams have leverage in the fact they are about flush to the cap ceiling.
    DCBoysfan likes this.
  19. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,730 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Finnegan is 3 years older and now on the wrong side of 30. It's a bit different situation.
  20. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

758 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Cut....And just get it over with