1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Are the Rich really robbing money from the Poor?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

37,806 Messages
    3,630 Likes Received
    http://foxforum.blogs.foxnews.com/2009/02/25/coffey_obama_address/

Will Taxes Become Obama’s Weapon of Class Destruction?

February 25th, 2009 12:07 PM Eastern

By Christopher Coffey
    Republican Political Strategist

President Obama gave a terrific address to the Joint Session of Congress and gets an A+ for style. He was uplifting, and he did his best to get hold of an agenda over which he was losing control. He is an incredible orator.

When it comes to substance, President Obama gets a D-. Obama truly believes that only government can deliver prosperity, even though the markets are rejecting this assessment.

President Obama has a lot of work cut out for him over the next few years. It will be a lot easier for him if he avoids the distracting battle cries of class warfare, and focuses on a workable solution for fixing our credit crisis.

Take for example this line from Obama’s speech:

“A surplus became an excuse to transfer wealth to the wealthy instead of an opportunity to invest in our future.”

Obama is telling America that Bush’s eponymous tax cuts are really transfers of wealth from the poor to the rich and that, worse, it hindered increased government spending (”invest” is an Obama euphemism for “spend”).

Obama will have difficulty securing the cooperation of Republicans if he continues making statements like these.

First, it is deceptive. If anything, the government has been taking an increased income tax share from the wealthy. According to the Tax Foundation, the richest 5% of taxpayers paid close to 60% of all income taxes in 2006, while the bottom half paid only 2.99%. Compare this to 2000, where the richest 5% paid a 56.47% share of income taxes and the bottom half paid 3.91%.

So, there was no transfer of wealth to the wealthy. The richest 5% of taxpayers were actually paying a lower income tax share in 2000 when we had a surplus, than in 2006 when we had a deficit. Obama’s assertion regarding the surplus is doubly deceptive because the tax code did nothing to hinder spending over the past eight years.

Second, this statement represents a key ideological difference between Obama and many Republicans. It tells Republicans that Obama believes private incomes are really public property. If the government takes more in taxes than it needs, and runs a surplus, the surplus will be Obama’s to spend, and not his to return to the taxpayers who gave it to him.

Even worse, Obama is signaling that he will treat the tax code as a weapon of class destruction. His tax code is not a vehicle to raise revenues –it is a tool to punish and reward.

President Obama has a lot of work cut out for him over the next few years. It will be a lot easier for him if he avoids the distracting battle cries of class warfare, and focuses on a workable solution for fixing our credit crisis.

2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

83,296 Messages
    6,578 Likes Received
    If you tell someone something long enough they will believe it. Rich are bad this attitude has been preached time and again. I always figured this country was founded on the ideal that a person willing to go out put their money on the line and take a chance had the opportunity to become wealthy but if you do that then you are labeled a cheat or a thief.
  3. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    How many people are employed by the poor?

Obama is a dangerous fool who needs to go. Sooner rather than later.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Staff Member

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    Jbond has not robbed from me but I have done my best to rob every bit of money from his wallet.

He farted on me while I attempted to take his wallet, resulting in some serious damage and health problems. But I am so poor that I have to wait on that universal health care from Obama and I will finally have the money from jbond's wallet when I have all kinds of dr visits to fix my hand.

<evil laugh>
  5. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received

:lmao2::lmao:
  6. ABQCOWBOY

37,806 Messages
    3,630 Likes Received
    Nobody asked me but just in case anybody might want to, this part, I believe.

:D
  7. BrAinPaiNt

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    It doesn't stop with the medical expenses...I plan on getting full bore anti-christ on Jbonds wallet by getting on disability. Heck I might even sue him for hurting my hand while I was trying to steal his wallet. I figure if illegal aliens can so and win, my chances of being a real american must be pretty good in court.
  8. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,290 Messages
    241 Likes Received
    Are class and money co-related ? What if I have no class and lots of money ?
  9. ABQCOWBOY

37,806 Messages
    3,630 Likes Received

I'll leave you to your opium induced dreams of how best to plan JBonds down fall.

I personally have nothing against the man, thou I do believe that Theo probably has a rag doll with ABQ stiched across the front and 10 penny nails protruding from the forehead.

:laugh2:
  10. BrAinPaiNt

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    What do you mean what if? ;) :p:

On a serious note, that kind of reminds me of that rodney dangerfield scene in the 80's movie Back to School where he is trying to get that teacher to go out on a date with him..

Diane: Actually, I'd like to join you, but I have class tonight.
    Thornton Melon: Oh. How 'bout tomorrow night?
    Diane: I have class then, too.
    Thornton Melon: I'll tell you what, then. Why don't you call me some time when you have no class?
    Diane: [laughs] Alright. Maybe I will.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    You wealth envy is showing again. By the end of the Obama reign or terror there will be nothing left to envy and I will be right beside you cashing my government check eating the government cheese.;)
  12. BrAinPaiNt

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    Yeah...I got a 55 gallon drum of whoop arse of evil waiting for him.

(if you have heard Roy D Mercer you will get that...if you have not, go listen to some roy d mercer).
  13. ABQCOWBOY

37,806 Messages
    3,630 Likes Received
    Wait a second. I think you know, Roy D Mercer is a Republican, right?

;)
  14. BrAinPaiNt

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    Guberment cheese with chili is not so bad. But I am not sharing my stuff with you...I am a selfish and greedy sob.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    Fine by me...I think his stuff is hilarious and he is a genius at what he does.

I think the only entertainer that I refuse to watch/listen to on basis of politics was/is Jane Fonda for obvious reasons.

The others I don't care about, if I think they are good at what they do I can ignore their personal political beliefs.
  16. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,154 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    Forbes annual top 400 list
    http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Forbes/TheForbes400.aspx

So, if we simply confiscate ALL the wealth (not income!) of our 400 richest Americans we'll only get $1.57 trillion...........
    How many of ALL the richest Americans' would we have to appropriate to pay for just what Zer0 has spent since his election?

Obama has no intention of taxing "the wealthy"....... Wealth is not taxed. Income is taxed and the truly wealthy don't need to work and earn any income. Only those people that are trying to become wealthy need a job to earn income...what a shocker !!!

One thing I have noticed about obama’s rant against the wealthy- he's never gone for the athletes that make millions-------are not they evil as well:rolleyes:

We need the John Kerry's, the Kennedys, the Rockerfellers, the Hollywood's to just walk the walk and donate everything they have and be "patriotic" for the Govt's sake.....:laugh1:
  17. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,731 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Sean Penn is a boob.
  18. BrAinPaiNt

63,768 Messages
    7,520 Likes Received
    Yeah he is...but I think he is a good actor and Like(d) him in some movies. But like I said about the only one I refuse to watch is Fonda.
  19. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

14,323 Messages
    1,258 Likes Received
    :hammer:

:hammer:

Excellent metaphors...:bravo:
  20. DaBoys4Life

DaBoys4Life Benched

15,621 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No they aren't I'll give you a couple of examples. Class is your social standing in society. Money is just how much you make.

Let's take someone like Bill Gates his class status is higher than someone like 50 cent.

An example of class and money would be a doctor. An example of a class and no money or little money would be a cop or teacher.

I hope this helped you understand the difference.