1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Are we a nation of cowards??? US is nation of cowards on racial matters

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Wow! Didn't see this coming. :rolleyes: The circus continues.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96E53483&show_article=1

Holder: US is nation of cowards on racial matters

WASHINGTON (AP) - Attorney General Eric Holder described the United States Wednesday as a nation of cowards on matters of race, saying most Americans avoid discussing unresolved racial issues.

In a speech to Justice Department employees marking Black History Month, Holder said the workplace is largely integrated but Americans still self-segregate on the weekends and in their private lives.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," said Holder, nation's first black attorney general.

Race issues continue to be a topic of political discussion, Holder said, but "we, as average Americans, simply do not talk enough with each other about race."

He urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for frank talk about racial matters.

"It is an issue we have never been at ease with and, given our nation's history, this is in some ways understandable," Holder said. "If we are to make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us."

He told Justice Department employees they have a special responsibility to advance racial understanding.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,863 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    Typical Liberal BS from a typical liberal. Frankly most of the worst racists I have met have been Libs.
  3. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    He's right.

In my high school, all the black kids sat on one side of the lunchroom, all the white kids on the other.

All though college most of my friends were white. My best friends are all white.
    Its like this in the workplace, too. Blacks tend to hang out with blacks, whites with whites. Don't have too many really good "friends" that are black at work. Lots of acquaintances, but none that I know well enough to go have a beer with.
    All of my cousins in Houston all hang out with the 20-30 something asian crowd, and i've heard them say some pretty nasty things about hispanics. Im sure it works like this for every ethnic group.

People don't talk about race much. They are scared to bring it up, and are discouraged from bringing it up in places where people discuss things, like the classroom or the workplace. Everyone has their own little comfort zone and many are afraid to go beyond it for whatever reason.

I think the OP is just attacking the message because of the messenger. Anyone with half a brain knows that this country doesn't talk about and amongst each other about race very much, and that's a shame.
  4. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,786 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Lets study the history of the Dem.Party......the "missing years"

The American Spectator : Democrats: The Missing YearsAug 12, 2008 ... Allow me to sketch in a few facts from those missing 52 years. For that matter, lets add in the facts from the party history before and ...
    spectator.org/archives/2008/08/12/democrats-the-missing-years

As Democrats prepare to nominate Senator Barack Obama to be the first black president, the Democratic National Committee and its chairman Howard Dean have whitewashed the party's horrific and lengthy record of racism. The omission is in the section of the DNC website that describes the party's history

a good read....summarized well in reference points.....
  5. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    When you go back tomorrow,sit with the muslims.
  6. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

I have this guy on ignore but can read when someone replies to him (wished they wouldn't) but this time I'm glad you did.

That was classic.
  7. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    There weren't any muslims at my high school. It was a High School in rural Georgia. Everyone was either black or white, there were a few hispanics, and 3 asian kids including myself. One was a japanese exchange student, so in reality there were only two of us.

What was the point of this post? Was this a shot at Islam (continued from your earlier shot at Islam in another thread)? Boy, you are really racking them up today.
  8. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So you went to a bigot school,and feel guilty now?
    That explains it.
  9. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another shot at Islam!
  10. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Nothing bigoted about it. Im sure pretty most everyone's high school was like this where there was a large minority population. It's not bigotry, its not like the black kids were being kept down by the white kids or anything, it was just merely voluntary segregation. You hang with the group you feel most comfortable with.
  11. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Jihad Artie!
  12. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Was this between 1992 and 1997?
  13. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Fall of 91 to spring of '95, although I don't see why you are asking.

Frankly, I'm having trouble wondering why anyone would dispute what Holder said. The only thing I can think of is it because someone from the Obama Administration said it....but he's 100% correct.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Because I was stationed in GA during those dates.
    See DIAF,I know more than you think so.
    I don't talk about things I'm ignorant about.
    While it makes you feel better to call me names here,I know what I know and what is in my heart.
    I'm not guilt driven.
  15. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    What does you having been stationed here have anything to do with it? Are you seriously trying to say that there IS no race problem in this country, and that everything between blacks/whites/hispanics/asians/arabs/native americans/whoever is just all sunshine and rainbows?

Dude, all you have to do is walk down the street of any town in America and see that isn't true.
  16. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Walk down any street and see people beating each other up, fires everywhere, just chaos. I know.
  17. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

You have a black belt in missing the point.
  18. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    That's not what I, or Holder, is talking about. If you had read the OP you would have known that.

The problem with race in this country is that by and large, no one race really tries to make much of an effort understanding another one for various reasons...societal pressures, disparities in economic situations, unspoken (and spoken) rules that frown upon discussing racial related matters, leading us to just retreat to our comfort zones...namely, people that are like us. Why do you think blacks tend to hang out with other blacks? Hispanics with other Hispanics, Asians with other Asians, etc.? That's the sort of thing Holder is talking about. Not "The man, he's keeping me down!" or anything of that sort. That time in America has long since passed.
  19. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,665 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I agree. I thought that was a well known fact.
  20. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,392 Messages
    579 Likes Received

Okay have you just lived in one area all your life and you can honestly say Holder is right?

Let me explain a few things you may not know about. Here in NJ, some white people go out of their way to explain to other white people about the "Black Community" and whats allowed and whats not.

Let me explain this further so you can get it. A white police officer in a town in NJ got in trouble for offending a black motorist. Why, because he used the guys first name instead of his last. He had the license and went with it. Now i am listening to this over the radio and the hosts were stymied by this. So this white guy calls in and explains to the hosts that in the Black Community that its not polite to address a black person by their first name when first meeting them. I am not making this up. He goes on to explain it to the hosts who are more furious that a cop is getting heat because someone took offense to how he addressed them, not that it was a black motorist or white cop. But to learn that people take classes on trying to understand a culture that changes with the wind at times and everyone is all mixed up regardless of region and this was a big to do up here.

Now on to my college days, yes my college was trying to go all PC and doing it all backwards. So the white people get a lecture on about the lunch room. Some person with a PHD in nothing wants to know why white kids wont sit with the black people. So i asked one of my roommates who was black why and he said well the black people feel more comfortable with each other. Not the other way around. That was his explantation that was backed up by a few others.

As you can see i had some words with this one and the people who were pushing for this.

Example number 2. I was crossing the campus one day and a sorority female was being told if no black females were in her sorority that said Sorority was not getting funded next year. To which she replied she is being forced to put a black female into the sorority for the simple fact of being funded NOT because said female wants to or any apply, but ONE has to be there or no money.

This cannot float in a society that is more acceptable than many places on the planet.

Why is it to many black people feel the need to segregate themselves. Did you know this, there is a group of Black People that are of a community that wants more black people to go camping, or RVing. They go around educating black people on nature activities.

Number 1 reason for doing this. Black people dont feel safe in the woods.

There is getting way to many people involved spending money to force things upon people. Which at the end of the day we are, people.

Holding is not right because in his circle things might be different, or he watches the all black channel and wonder why white people arent on it.

I have news for you, different regions and areas, and culture settings all have different rules. We dont like it, but they are backed up by the biggest law of the land.

We arent cowards to this, there is just way to many outlets and factions to deal with.

We have black history month, but no Asian month. We have holidays for certain people, and a certain holiday for a combine people.

I got banned from the multi cultural retreat at my college, first all the groups had to send a person or once again funding was suspended, and by the time it was over, the person in charge asked if we learned anything, and i stood up and said yes, i learned the same thing about black people that was i groomed to learn and yet nothing about the asians, greeks, russians, hispanics, Jamacians, Dominican Republics, Czechs, and all the other people that make up this planet. But i learned so much.

Its not that we are cowards, just some efforts are pushed to the back burner and only surface when agendas need to be met, or statitics need to be met, or PC needs to be met, but never because anyone cared to.

Well im sure some people have the proper caring and want to do the right thing, but they usually dont start with calling this nation cowards.

And how come if Holding is going to call us cowards on anything, he cant use the Asians, how come the A word is still ignored. I dont see laws or rules for including Asians.